GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Verus Engineering. Found them when I was on there website for the hood vents.

They mount a 2.5” brake hose to the backing plate. It is super compact which is what is needed. I just need to figure out where I position it on the backing plate.

Need to find somewhere to 3D print the VW air duct for the passenger side. Mirror image of the left.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Verus Engineering. Found them when I was on there website for the hood vents.

They mount a 2.5” brake hose to the backing plate. It is super compact which is what is needed. I just need to figure out where I position it on the backing plate.

Need to find somewhere to 3D print the VW air duct for the passenger side. Mirror image of the left.
Do you have the file?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
No. Need to figure out where I can get the VW air duct digitally scanned to create a file to print and then flip it 180 degrees to get a mirror image for the right side.

I have drawn the backing plate in Fusion 360. Used my CSS swivels to get the right bolt spacing.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No. Need to figure out where I can get the VW air duct digitally scanned to create a file to print and then flip it 180 degrees to get a mirror image for the right side.

I have drawn the backing plate in Fusion 360. Used my CSS swivels to get the right bolt spacing.
I'll pay for half the scan if you share the file with me.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Cool. That helps with the development cost. Appreciate the collaboration.

Do you have access to print? 15”x12” is the basic footprint of the duct. I still want to pull my bumper skin off and see how it routes. I’m thinking the horn needs to be re-positioned on the frame rail. That’s about it.

This fits 6MT R-models, so I’m not expecting any issues. But I want to see if I turn it upside down; how I can mount it securely on the passenger side. May be easier to fab a bracket vs scan and 3D print.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Cool. That helps with the development cost. Appreciate the collaboration.

Do you have access to print? 15”x12” is the basic footprint of the duct. I still want to pull my bumper skin off and see how it routes. I’m thinking the horn needs to be re-positioned on the frame rail. That’s about it.

This fits 6MT R-models, so I’m not expecting any issues. But I want to see if I turn it upside down; how I can mount it securely on the passenger side. May be easier to fab a bracket vs scan and 3D print.
I have a buddy with a nice printer that prints entire star wars costumes.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I pulled my bumper off today to check the whether the R’s transmission cooling duct would work as a brake cooling duct.

Unfortunately the secondary air pump sits in the way. It also appears that I have the European spec duct. I’m going to return it and convert to an R-bumper.

Unless someone knows an easy way to relocate the secondary air pump, I’m going to route brake duct hose from the front bumper. Using OE ducting is proving challenging.

Passenger Side. This will fit with some custom mounting brackets. Just flip 180 degrees.
7DF395B3-A10C-4794-A150-B5E4AA78A4FA.jpeg
841FA9D0-A992-4BAE-B0E4-E33C9F5562B8.jpeg

Secondary Air pump is in the way.
B59B2BAE-C45E-49A6-A85B-613884FDB59C.jpeg
3125FE8A-E2E7-4E54-A252-C0070837DE20.jpeg

This appears to be a better fitting option. Need to find this part number.

6B938E21-352F-40E6-A836-F5165CE53902.png
CEAD83F0-D60B-4B6E-8308-3D43BFCD9828.jpeg
08EAE30A-BF5E-4A71-84B5-5106969C68BD.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m going to install a Wavetrac for this season. About to tear my car apart.

While I have the transmission out, what should I look at replacing/upgrading?
FCP has a really detailed How To. Aside from Transmission oil and Haldex fluid. What else?

IC charge pipes? Which brand? EQT.....Revo....??
Transmission Mount? Which brand?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
DSG clutches if you have them and are running some large torque numbers.
I like my unitronic charge piping, no fitment issues and they had one of the first confirmed fitments for the DQ381. EQT seems fine too.
BFI is the go-to for engine/trans mounts, I have their stage 1 mounts and find the snappiness and additional rumble at idle quite pleasant.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Forgot to mention that I have a 6-speed MT. Updated Sachs SMF/Clutch

Thanks for the input on mounts and IC charge pipes.

Reactions: q74

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Forgot to mention that I have a 6-speed MT. Updated Sachs SMF/Clutch

Thanks for the input on mounts and IC charge pipes.
I'm potentially planning the same. (trying to get over the sticker shock of doing it all at once). Besides the clutch/DMF and new TOB, I was going to do an iAbed RMS for peace of mind. I haven't seen any oil between my engine/trans (which is the sign of a leaking RMS), but I figured for the price of the part it was worth getting put in.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Its a chunk of cash. No question. Should have done the Wavetrac when I had my clutch/flywheel done, but had house repairs/maintenance expenses at the same time. You might as well get the RMS done at the same time. You getting a shop to do it? My stock RMS was weeping.

Plan doing the work myself to save some $$.

Got the new diff bearings and seals. Shims. Bearing and seal install tools. Got to take the charge pipe out and the tranny mount. Just need to make sure the sealant I have to put the two casings back together is correct.

Reactions: q74

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Its a chunk of cash. No question. Should have done the Wavetrac when I had my clutch/flywheel done, but had house repairs/maintenance expenses at the same time. You might as well get the RMS done at the same time. You getting a shop to do it? My stock RMS was weeping.

Plan doing the work myself to save some $$.

Got the new diff bearings and seals. Shims. Bearing and seal install tools. Got to take the charge pipe out and the tranny mount. Just need to make sure the sealant I have to put the two casings back together is correct.
Yeah planning to have a shop do it. The clutch I could do myself, but cracking the trans open is a little above my skillset right now (plus I don't have any way to get the car high enough to drop the trans). With the labor to remove/install the trans and install the wavetrac, the clutch install will just cost whatever the parts are.

While the price is high, it's the price of everything compared to total value of the car that I'm juggling with right now. It's probably 1/3 the value of the car which is high for a single chunk.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Interested to see what you think about the Wavetrac over the factory diff. I kicked the idea around but decided the factory set up is good enough, all things ($$$) considered. Perhaps it's because I came from a Mk6 (and all the previous generations before that) and the Mk7's VAQ is so much better than what I'm used to.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Guys, anyone know if there's a thinner spring pad for the rear? I want to reduce the rake a little as cheaply as possible. I have the stock pads on there now.