GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Places to look for used GTI.

Plormby

Car(s)
N/A
Okay, so I have just recently confirmed that I am going to buy a MK7 as my next car. My question for you guys is where should I look so I am not overpaying. I’ve been told that the cars I’ve been looking at are way overpriced and that I shouldn’t bother. Many people I know have gotten lower mileage cars for cheaper than the cars i’m finding at higher mileage. The best deals i’ve seen so far are on facebook, but if you guys have any other suggestions i’ll gladly take them.

Plormby

Car(s)
N/A
Welcome to the forum. Just use Kelly Blue Book to get a fair price and keep in mind that used cars pricing is up quite a bit right now.
Don't buy anything you can't test drive.
I’ll definitely keep this in mind, this is my first nicer car i’m purchasing so I just am a little lost on where to look haha. I’ve seen a few dealership posts but those are definitely a little overpriced from what I’ve heard. Do you think there will be a price drop as the MK8 release nears?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’ll definitely keep this in mind, this is my first nicer car i’m purchasing so I just am a little lost on where to look haha. I’ve seen a few dealership posts but those are definitely a little overpriced from what I’ve heard. Do you think there will be a price drop as the MK8 release nears?
Not really. It's used car prices for all brands are high right now.
You should check dealers for a CPO car also. They cost more but have better warranties.

Petexcore

Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I just got a '17 mk7 with 18k miles, which I'm VERY happy with. all I did was just continuously search the sites like cars.com, edmunds.com, TrueCar.com, Carvana, etc., joined each one, and "liked" every car that interested me. Most of them you can save a search, and they will alert you when more are posted, and the cars you "like", they will alert you when price drops. I searched 200 mile radius for more/better results, because i don't mind traveling that far for the right car. I really only looked for 11 days before finding the one.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
You can check cargurus.com as well. They'll give the price of each vehicle a grade ranging from poor deal to great deal based on how others similar vehicles are priced

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd
If you're going to get a loan, a new S trim might be in budget. VW is doing 0.9 for 60 months; when you factor in the terms of a used car loan and the high used car market right now a new S trim isn't far off.

I got my 2020 S for around 26 OTD, I see some used GTIs in the mid 20s, albeit different packages, but nothing that I'm really missing since I was dead set against a sunroof.

Just another option for you

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
+1 for autotempest

Used car prices are high currently. Get values from KBB, NADA and a 3rd of your choice when comparing.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I'd check out CarMax. My brother recently purchased a Mazda from them and he was really happy with their service. They even shipped the car from out of state for free so he could test drive it. Just did a quick search for GTI's and their prices are right around what I expected.

Personally, I would skip any 2015 model because they didn't have Carplay/Android Auto that year. Also, definitely get one with the lighting package (and performance package if you plan on having any fun in it)

And like Frankie said, it might be worth it to look around at local dealerships' offers since they've been hurting for business during the lockdowns

FlashyRed

Car(s)
MK7 GTI, MK5 Jetta
If you're going to get a loan, a new S trim might be in budget. VW is doing 0.9 for 60 months; when you factor in the terms of a used car loan and the high used car market right now a new S trim isn't far off.

I got my 2020 S for around 26 OTD, I see some used GTIs in the mid 20s, albeit different packages, but nothing that I'm really missing since I was dead set against a sunroof.

Just another option for you

Yea I second this. I got a 2020 S with DSG for $25.6k at 0.9% for 72. I was looking at used ones, between higher interest rates and miles it wasn't worth it for me to go used.

Also seems like ppl have a decent amount of issues with the sunroofs so another reason to go with an S.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
DC-area dealers have the best prices on VWs in all of America. VW's corp headquarters is right outside of DC and there's something to the tune of 20 dealers in a 50 mile radius. I got my 2019 Alltrack brand new in April 2020, 35.5K MSRP, 25.5K before TTL including college grad discount and it was either a first time buyer (my parents took the loans out on all my previous cars) or a family/loyalty discount since my family has owned so many dubs. not sure which, but it wouldve been 26.5 without those two discounts.

I suggest Alexandria VW for a no-bullshit experience with up front pricing and friendly, fast, professional staff. My friend had a different experience than I did buying a lightly used VW corporate fleet vehicle than I had buying brand-new, so take that with a grain of salt. I believe, since it was a corporate fleet vehicle, it actually COULDNT be sold as a CPO, and as such VW Credit couldnt finance it. The financing company she went with (one of Alexandria's preferred lendors) charged her up-front interest for her 6 year loan, and it added like 2.5K to the net principle. We dug into the paperwork and called them since she wanted to pay the car off early, but the way the paperwork was set up, if she hadn't called and had them re-do the paperwork, she wouldve paid the same amount in interest if she paid the car off in 3 years than 6. Make sure you don't fall under the boot for financial trickery like that.

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd
DC-area dealers have the best prices on VWs in all of America. VW's corp headquarters is right outside of DC and there's something to the tune of 20 dealers in a 50 mile radius. I got my 2019 Alltrack brand new in April 2020, 35.5K MSRP, 25.5K before TTL including college grad discount and it was either a first time buyer (my parents took the loans out on all my previous cars) or a family/loyalty discount since my family has owned so many dubs. not sure which, but it wouldve been 26.5 without those two discounts.

I suggest Alexandria VW for a no-bullshit experience with up front pricing and friendly, fast, professional staff. My friend had a different experience than I did buying a lightly used VW corporate fleet vehicle than I had buying brand-new, so take that with a grain of salt. I believe, since it was a corporate fleet vehicle, it actually COULDNT be sold as a CPO, and as such VW Credit couldnt finance it. The financing company she went with (one of Alexandria's preferred lendors) charged her up-front interest for her 6 year loan, and it added like 2.5K to the net principle. We dug into the paperwork and called them since she wanted to pay the car off early, but the way the paperwork was set up, if she hadn't called and had them re-do the paperwork, she wouldve paid the same amount in interest if she paid the car off in 3 years than 6. Make sure you don't fall under the boot for financial trickery like that.

I actually went to Ourisman about 10 miles from DC to get mine. Ended up being 6 hours worth of driving but the deal was incredible; had no idea why but makes sense now.

OP, if you do decide to go new, I'd figure out the spec you want by testing out locally then pick a range you're willing to drive for the best deal. How I did it, test drove at my local dealer, decided what I want then looked around on Cars.com to find the right spec and best deal.

If you're gonna go used kinda want to see before you buy.

KevinM1977

Car(s)
Lexus IS300
Looking at getting a '17 GTi in spring hopefully. Has anyone bought a car from Carvana or Vroom without seeing the car in person first? What has your experience been like?

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Looking at getting a '17 GTi in spring hopefully. Has anyone bought a car from Carvana or Vroom without seeing the car in person first? What has your experience been like?
I bought my 2015 GTI off Carvana. It was a very simple and straight forward process.
Though their inspection can be off. My passenger door speaker was kicked in and repaired with silicone, along with the secondary hose to my air box.
But after pointing all that out after they presented the car to me I got all of it written down and taken care of. They had me take it to any near VW dealer and they footed the bill with the 100 day warranty Carvana gives.