GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wtf....? Do I have a problem?

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Went to go install new panel filter today.... noticed this!

I don’t immediately see any other signs or evidence of mice or birds. What/where else can or should I be checking!? I haven’t run into any issues with the car so far.

Attachments

• 0E3E521B-54CA-416D-8F51-1D4F62EC91DD.jpeg
    0E3E521B-54CA-416D-8F51-1D4F62EC91DD.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 235
  • B1864966-1BDA-492E-AA26-DC226AE6790B.jpeg
    B1864966-1BDA-492E-AA26-DC226AE6790B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 231

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I would bet on it being from mice, chipmunks, or squirrels. The debris looks fresh too. The filter stopped the debris so you should be ok. Just clean it all out of there.

There are 2 spots where the little critter can get in the intake like that. Either from on top of the grill or behind the intake cowl. Try blocking them off while your car is parked and see if it returns.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
that stock air filter looks normal and its doing its job.

what is in the stock snowguard looks suspicious lol but just clean it it prob made its way from the bottom and decided to have a meal there :D

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Very grateful that whatever it is hasn’t chewed through anything. I pulled the entire assembly: air dam, and guard, filter housing, filter, etc. didn’t see droppings, chewing, scratch marks, nothing.
man going to try to remember to re-check in a few weeks and see if there’s any return.

Was just getting in the mood to maybe finally upload the tune, and this happens... what’s another few weeks/months 🤷🏻‍♂️

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Yup, looks messy but the filter is doing its job. The rodent probably storing behind the grill somewhere and it's getting sucked in.

It's not too bad, back in Nov, a rat decided to sleep where in the engine bay and when I left in the morning for work, somehow it got caught in the serp belt and exploded. (not exaggerating, the engine bay was a mess). The serp belt snapped, got a stop driving light and I called roadside assistance for a tow to the dealer. $700 repair, and I couldn't even take revenge on the rodent. They did do a good job of steam cleaning everything though.

Before that, rat made a nest on top of my R56 battery and started a mini (no pun intended) fire when I left for work. Fortunately, only needed a new battery and positive cable. I could never properly get the burnt hair smell out of the HVAC.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I use a combo of peppermint/spearmint oil on cotton balls replaced 1x month (or commercially available stuff called Mouse Magic) to repel mice in my rural CT location. I've had good luck with it.

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
I use a combo of peppermint/spearmint oil on cotton balls replaced 1x month (or commercially available stuff called Mouse Magic) to repel mice in my rural CT location. I've had good luck with it.
Where in CT? I just moved to RI from there.

Deathbyart

Go Kart Newbie
I had this issue in my MK6. I cleaned the engine bay real well and put a few drops of peppermint extract into a spray bottle. Shoot a couple spots, never had an issue again. I read that rodents hate peppermint

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R