GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why did you choose the mk7 golf/gti/r?

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
As the title goes... Why did everyone here choose the mk7 platform over any other car?

For me, it was the improved power from mk6 platform to mk7, a much more reliable engine, better turbo, dress up modifications, comfort, and tuning support.

I'm just curious to see why everyone else decided to choose VW over other competing manufactors.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I came over from a Mazdaspeed3. I wanted something similar and was tired of holding out for a new generation of MS3 (that apparently will never come).

I ruled out the Focus RS due to cost, WRX due to the insurance premiums, and landed on the GTI because I have a buddy who works for a dealer who could hook it up. And because the only 2020 Accord with the 2.0T and 6MT within 1,000 miles of me was getting it's engine replaced after 9k miles when I inquired about it.

None of that is to say I'm disappointed with where I ended up, just didn't see it going that way at the start of the search. In a lot of ways it's like my MS3, in some important ways it is not, an that's perfect for me. I'm very happy with it.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I almost died of boredom in a Subaru impreza hatch

Neat little car and not bad just...zero juice in a straight line. It actually was fairly tossable but you couldn't accelerate out of the turn so it got old.

Took a bath trading it in but whatever

Last edited:

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Your mom was already taken.
stanley-the-office.jpg

Ah yes, the classic your mama joke.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
I came over from a Mazdaspeed3. I wanted something similar and was tired of holding out for a new generation of MS3 (that apparently will never come).

I ruled out the Focus RS due to cost, WRX due to the insurance premiums, and landed on the GTI because I have a buddy who works for a dealer who could hook it up. And because the only 2020 Accord with the 2.0T and 6MT within 1,000 miles of me was getting it's engine replaced after 9k miles when I inquired about it.

None of that is to say I'm disappointed with where I ended up, just didn't see it going that way at the start of the search. In a lot of ways it's like my MS3, in some important ways it is not, an that's perfect for me. I'm very happy with it.
Nice.
The focus RS's have gone down somewhat in price last time I checked. Unforetunate that mazda doesn't seem to care about making mazdaspeeds catered to the car enthusiast these days. My friend had one, and they do 'feel' like the golf in many ways.

If you had the chance, would you have kept the ms? (Assuming you sold it.)

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
I almost died if boredom in a Subaru impreza hatch

Neat little car and not bad just...zero juice in a straight line. It actually was fairly tossable but you couldn't accelerate out of the turn so it got old.

Took a bath trading it in but whatever
A shame subaru stopped making hatches. Their styling was on point.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Nice.
The focus RS's have gone down somewhat in price last time I checked. Unforetunate that mazda doesn't seem to care about making mazdaspeeds catered to the car enthusiast these days. My friend had one, and they do 'feel' like the golf in many ways.

If you had the chance, would you have kept the ms? (Assuming you sold it.)

The motor needed a re-build. Oil just disappeared out of that thing. It'd need a quart after a 25 minute spirited drive. The suspension was also going out, and the transmssion whined terribly towards the end. Those things together combined with the lumps it took driving into and out of the city for years meant it was time to go.

Loved the car, it was a blast to drive and if it was in better shape cosmetically I would've re-built it. It had 175k miles on it and I got a good offer for it in as-is condition so I bailed on it. I have a second vehicle so it was not a big deal to unload it and take my time finding the right new car.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Been a VW fanboi since high school when I got a MK5 Jetta. MK5 Jetta 2.5L 6AT > MK6 Jetta 2.5L 6AT > MK6 GTI 6MT > MK7 GTI 6MT > MK7 GTI 6DSG > 7.5 Alltrack 6MT.

sister wrecked my first jetta right after I got it. the replacement mk6 jetta was sorely disappointing so traded for mk6 gti. dumped my mk6 because it was a lemon, and it was right when the mk7 was released so lease deals were real good. when the lease on that was up i bought a used dsg gti because i didnt want to deal with aftermarket clutches etc, and had been driving manual for 6 years at that point. hated it on my drive home from the dealer, regretted forgoing the 3rd pedal immediately. I enjoy driving other people's DSG cars very much... I don't enjoy owning one. not yet. I'm 27 so I got in at the tail end of the manual transmission (and its looking like the internal combustion engine, as well).

got a 6MT Alltrack last year with lockdown financing special. the Alltrack is my favorite car I've owned yet, and after having owned 6 VWs in 10 years, I plan to keep this one for the next 10. It is the last affordable AWD manual turbo wagon in America. Instead of trading up to another car, as it ages i'll just keep investing in it.

it has the same bones as the golf r sans the 2.0L engine, and with the same upgrades many R owners do (B6/8 struts, rsb, tune, tires) it will be on-par or better than a stock R. The only major thing you have to do with the Alltrack that R owners don't have to do is upgrade the turbo. IC, DP, suspension, wavetrack etc are all equally necessary on both cars. Difference is the Alltrack is 60% the base price of the R, so you can do all the above upgrades and come out on top of a stock golf r for less.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
When my wife and I started dating, I had a pickup, 2 doors. So transporting her and our daughter was difficult in it. So we took her car everywhere. It started to fall apart, literally, she was starting to shop for a new car and I needed something cheap and reliable so I got a Civic, coupe. Again transport was difficult. We took my wife’s car everywhere. So about a year I started looking at cara that offered 4 doors. Most of them were boring. I already had the civic for boring, good car, just boring. So I put a list together of features I wanted and ended up with a Stinger, WRX or a Golf R. Kia’s resale value is pretty abysmal, so I nixed that. A WRX has a CVT, so really it only left the R as an option. A year later I actually found one.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I drive for a living so I wanted an automatic which ruled out pretty much everything but the STI but I didn't want a continuously variable automatic trans so that only left the GTI.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Been a VW fanboi since high school when I got a MK5 Jetta. MK5 Jetta 2.5L 6AT > MK6 Jetta 2.5L 6AT > MK6 GTI 6MT > MK7 GTI 6MT > MK7 GTI 6DSG > 7.5 Alltrack 6MT.

sister wrecked my first jetta right after I got it. the replacement mk6 jetta was sorely disappointing so traded for mk6 gti. dumped my mk6 because it was a lemon, and it was right when the mk7 was released so lease deals were real good. when the lease on that was up i bought a used dsg gti because i didnt want to deal with aftermarket clutches etc, and had been driving manual for 6 years at that point. hated it on my drive home from the dealer, regretted forgoing the 3rd pedal immediately. I enjoy driving other people's DSG cars very much... I don't enjoy owning one. not yet. I'm 27 so I got in at the tail end of the manual transmission (and its looking like the internal combustion engine, as well).

got a 6MT Alltrack last year with lockdown financing special. the Alltrack is my favorite car I've owned yet, and after having owned 6 VWs in 10 years, I plan to keep this one for the next 10. It is the last affordable AWD manual turbo wagon in America. Instead of trading up to another car, as it ages i'll just keep investing in it.

it has the same bones as the golf r sans the 2.0L engine, and with the same upgrades many R owners do (B6/8 struts, rsb, tune, tires) it will be on-par or better than a stock R. The only major thing you have to do with the Alltrack that R owners don't have to do is upgrade the turbo. IC, DP, suspension, wavetrack etc are all equally necessary on both cars. Difference is the Alltrack is 60% the base price of the R, so you can do all the above upgrades and come out on top of a stock golf r for less.
I was sort of in the same boat with getting the mk7. Went from a mk5 Jetta > mk6 gti (got tired of the car and didn't really like the DSG all that much) > switched to mk7, luckily having the finances. ( &MT Thankfully) Which leaves me here today with one.

My mk6 was also a lemon, I had literally 6 pages of faults, and I did not want to shell out the money to repair everything. So I considered, it probably would of been better just to purchase a mk7 and get something that I really like.

Congrats on that Alltrack purchase! Those seem like a blast to drive. I haven't seen too many down here, but I know they're out there. I would definitely consider yourself lucky since they're not bringing anymore wagons out to the states anymore. ;(

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
I drive for a living so I wanted an automatic which ruled out pretty much everything but the STI but I didn't want a continuously variable automatic trans so that only left the GTI.
A WRX has a CVT, so really it only left the R as an option. A year later I actually found one.
So, does the WRX and STI mostly come in CVT now? I remember when they were keen on only selling manuals once upon a time.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I literally jumped into this platform on impulse pretty much. I was very happy with my K04 MK6 GTI but then I saw this MK7 at a dealer that I would drive by to my gym. It arrived on Monday. By Saturday morning I checked it out and had a deposit on it. Ultimately, it was so well kept and low mileage, I thought it was a worthy upgrade after having my Mk6 for 6 1/2 years yet only at 58k miles... I thought, Okay, I never liked the mk7 look too much stock but saw a few hooked up and they looked real nice hooked up, I'm willing to start over on this platform with what I've learned from the 6. Meaning which mods might be a waste of money vs ones that aren't. Ultimately, I think the mods I had on the 6 I would happily carry over to the 7 because the majority are still beneficial. This platform holds together really well and you can modify it to whatever you want. It can do a little bit of everything. The fact that you can have a daily driver that is as comfortable as it is fun, is rare.

As I spend more time on this forum I realize how much more improved the mk7 platform is over the 6. From a basic standpoint, the mk6 stg1 was like 260hp. Mk7 stg1 brings it to like nearly 320. To put that into perspective (sorry drunk here) the K04 Mk6 was around 350hp and that was a turbo upgrade that required all supporting bolt-ons. The equivalent to K04 on Mk7 is the is38 which I think makes well over 400hp easily. I saw a guy on youtube with that turbo taking down Hellcats. You wouldn't take down a Hellcat with a K04 mk6...

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
So, does the WRX and STI mostly come in CVT now? I remember when they were keen on only selling manuals once upon a time.
As far as I know the STi is still manual only. Much like the Type-R, Si, and RS.

When I was shopping I was only looking used and I couldn’t find one auto STi but I could WRXs. I believe CVT is the flavor for automatic. It wasn’t the only reason I looked past the Subie. I feel the interiors, even on the Limited, is rather cheap. I don’t want to deal with the engine leaks down the road either. I know the AWD is top notch, but it wasn’t enough for me.