GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Add functionality to infotainment to control interior\ambient light dimming?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
There must be given I've got one!

If you can share an adaptation map of your BCM I can compare with mine.

Thanks, I'll grab one in a little bit.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
By the way, UK spec cars don't have this little wheel you have to dim the lighting. It's all via the infotainment for us.

Yeah, that's what Cuzoe mentioned to me that kicked off this whole possible solution idea. I'm not confident adding an 'Instrument Lightning' slider will solve my issue, as all 3 that I've tried, Footwell, Front Ambient, & Door Ambient, all just change the color of the needles on the digital dash when I slide them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wrhsfEYhvwwdchR38

But, I figure it's worth a shot. I think my better chance at a solution is finding how to reduce the max brightness, as it has to be in there somewhere.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, that's what Cuzoe mentioned to me that kicked off this whole possible solution idea. I'm not confident adding an 'Instrument Lightning' slider will solve my issue, as all 3 that I've tried, Footwell, Front Ambient, & Door Ambient, all just change the color of the needles on the digital dash when I slide them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wrhsfEYhvwwdchR38

But, I figure it's worth a shot. I think my better chance at a solution is finding how to reduce the max brightness, as it has to be in there somewhere.
Like I said, ambient lighting isn't the correct option for dimming infotainment/instruments/illuminated controls.

As for max brightness, you need to take a look into dimming curves. I've seen threads on the RossTech forum around the dimming curve adaptations.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
So, I don't think this is going to actually accomplish what I want. I found how to add either the 'ambient lightning menu'...

View attachment 200796
I know this is a little off topic, but does any one know how to activate the Ambient Lighting screen?
I retrofitted the OEM AID, and I get the "Ambient Lighting" Screen but it's just blank with the return button.
How can I get it to change the color theme of the AID like cars that have the AID OEM?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
What adaptations channels were changed to add Interior Lighting sliders to the default 'Lighting' menu? I was able to add ambient lighting menu, but it is blank. After changing head unit could never get this. Compared 5F adaptations maps of both units, but cannot see what changed between units. Fortunately, I had ambient lighting changed to where I like, but would like the ability to change back.
George, were you able to succeed in fixing this? i've given a go to Acadia's directions, but i am not yet getting the results needed. If anyone can share a module 9 backup history, i would be most appreciated to compare my settings against.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry to thread hijack.. but if i have a manual climate control from a '17 gti se.. does the touch climate controls work as they should? plug and play? just started researching this..

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Sorry to thread hijack.. but if i have a manual climate control from a '17 gti se.. does the touch climate controls work as they should? plug and play? just started researching this..

There's a big thread on it here:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...pgrade-with-instructions-and-pictures.379148/

The bulk of the thread references the regular knob based climatronic unit, but if function the same as the touch one.

It's mostly plug and play. You have to run two temp sensors, on to the driver side footwell, and one to the drivers side upper vent. The touch one doesn't require any coding.

There are a few downsides. It has to stay on 'sync', since you don't have the ducting for dual zone. And because of the different ducting, you can't have the front windshield defroster vents and footwell vents on at the same time. I've found just leaving it on 'Auto' for the majority of the time works fine.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
There's a big thread on it here:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...pgrade-with-instructions-and-pictures.379148/

The bulk of the thread references the regular knob based climatronic unit, but if function the same as the touch one.

It's mostly plug and play. You have to run two temp sensors, on to the driver side footwell, and one to the drivers side upper vent. The touch one doesn't require any coding.

There are a few downsides. It has to stay on 'sync', since you don't have the ducting for dual zone. And because of the different ducting, you can't have the front windshield defroster vents and footwell vents on at the same time. I've found just leaving it on 'Auto' for the majority of the time works fine.
Thanks for the thread link.. are there any other non functioning features? the sync thing im ok with since same as my manual climate control system now.. i do use windshield defroster and my foot heat almost exclusively in the winter and fall so that may be a deal breaker.. also i saw in a thread you were saying the A/C compressor wasn't kicking on or working properly?? thats a major prob too.. i saw on one of the aliexpress sellers listings mention something about rear climate won't be functioning or working??

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Thanks for the thread link.. are there any other non functioning features? the sync thing im ok with since same as my manual climate control system now.. i do use windshield defroster and my foot heat almost exclusively in the winter and fall so that may be a deal breaker.. also i saw in a thread you were saying the A/C compressor wasn't kicking on or working properly?? thats a major prob too.. i saw on one of the aliexpress sellers listings mention something about rear climate won't be functioning or working??

A/C compressor not kicking on was my own fault. It worked fine, but I did a bunch of adaption and resets trying to "fix" the issue about the windshield/footwell, before I knew it was just a drawback of the retrofit. It's been fixed, but you won't have an issue out of the box with it.

Haven't noticed anything about the rear area. Air still blows out the rear ducting perfectly fine.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
A/C compressor not kicking on was my own fault. It worked fine, but I did a bunch of adaption and resets trying to "fix" the issue about the windshield/footwell, before I knew it was just a drawback of the retrofit. It's been fixed, but you won't have an issue out of the box with it.

Haven't noticed anything about the rear area. Air still blows out the rear ducting perfectly fine.
Cool thanks for letting me know that.. so only issue is the bi-level defroster? do all the other modes function properly? just dash, just lower feet, just windshield defroster and rear defrost all work individually? the seat heater buttons work as they should?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Cool thanks for letting me know that.. so only issue is the bi-level defroster? do all the other modes function properly? just dash, just lower feet, just windshield defroster and rear defrost all work individually? the seat heater buttons work as they should?

Yep. You can have the front facing vents and footwell on at the same time no issue. It's just the windshield vents that have to be run alone. Rear defrosted and seat heater buttons all work fine as they should.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So I know this thread is ooooooolllllllllddddd, and maybe no one cares anymore... but I think I've found the BCM adaptation for the "Instrument Lighting" slider.

ENG141663-ENG141988-Suchbeleuchtung_allgemein-Eingabemedium_Suchbeleuchtung
Options for this channel:
HMI (Infotainment)
Potentiometer (assumed to be the roller)
Keys (don't know what this means)
Not Installed (self-explanatory but weird, haha)

I plan to go test this in my car in the morning, but got too excited to not post about it tonight. I retrofitted a facelift BCM and since then my roller has done nothing, although I do have the brightness control in the infotainment > lighting menu. I have/am still considering re-purposing that roller to control to my sub woofer level... but if that proves impractical I would prefer that it's original function is restored.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Confirmed this is the adaptation for this option. And it takes effect immediately when you change it, no need for ignition cycle or infotainment reset.