GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
My car is a street car, so definite no go. I'll just tap brake like I did with my STI.
I edited my response. There are various spring rates available. Dave said the .4in should not drag the brakes in a daily, and .6in could be used in a track car with severe knockback and should not drag the brakes in either case.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I edited my response. There are various spring rates available. Dave said the .4in should not drag the brakes in a daily, and .6in could be used in a track car with severe knockback and should not drag the brakes in either case.
I'd be in for a setup that didn't drag.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Based on that diagram, 27.2.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
So I was reaching out to Zeckhausen Racing to get the Ferodo DS3.12 for the OEM calipers, and told him that I was switching from Macan back to the OEM, and he asked if it was a race series issue or something else. Dave was super and has tons of information, and knows all things brakes.
He said that the master cylinder should be sufficient:

I told him about the issues that track users faced, such as initial brake pedal issues, and he said

The solution looks like this.
View attachment 200618

He then suggested

So, the pistons that work have the shortest length of 29.5mm, so if that diagram is correct, the stock ones are too short. If someone can confirm the measurements that would be great. Otherwise I will be going back to stock in the upcoming weeks, and will try then to measure. His gut feeling is that they are 30mm, but we would need to get an actual measurement to know.

View attachment 200619

If the piston length is shorter than 29.5 and is machined, the springs to use are 8 of these:
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=22044

This is the first time someone with some braking knowledge even tried to explain these issues. Sounds very interesting and would love to see if it solves the problem. Edit: There is a warning on the page that it can accelerate wear on pads, so that is something else to be aware of. This depends on the spring rate used. Dave said the .4in should not drag the brakes in a daily, and .6in could be used in a track car with severe knockback and should not drag the brakes in either case.

I would reach out to Dave and Zeckhausen racing for any braking needs/information in the future.

Except that's not true lol, noone here is specifically getting knockback on the street (particularly since most, if not all, are still utilizing one-piece rotors vs 2 piece floating rotors which exacerbate knockback). If this was the case, the stock floating calipers would be even worse as it moves around significantly more. Long story short, what he told you factually isn't wrong, but not particularly applicable to this setup (Macan/Q5/TTS) looking at specific cases of where brake issues (soft pedal, longer pedal travel, inconsistent braking performance) have occurred. I guess what I am trying to say is that all the aforementioned issues happened after the caliper swap, which points to a caliper compatibility issue - looking at it a different way, there aren't reports of Macan/Q5 drivers having problems like we're seeing.

The Macan/Q5 M/C piston is about 10% bigger than most GTI's/R's, which is a fact. We have also discovered VW/VAG made a small change and potentially upgraded and specced a larger M/C (to match the Macan/Q5 diameter of 25.4mm) for later models (7.5 and up looks like).

While knockback springs do work, considering there are other factors at play I'm not going to automatically assume and conclude/throw money and parts into solutions that may not even address the core problem but rather act as a bandaid.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Except that's not true lol, noone here is specifically getting knockback on the street (particularly since most, if not all, are still utilizing one-piece rotors vs 2 piece floating rotors which exacerbate knockback). If this was the case, the stock floating calipers would be even worse as it moves around significantly more. Long story short, what he told you factually isn't wrong, but not particularly applicable to this setup (Macan/Q5/TTS) looking at specific cases of where brake issues (soft pedal, longer pedal travel, inconsistent braking performance) have occurred. I guess what I am trying to say is that all the aforementioned issues happened after the caliper swap, which points to a caliper compatibility issue - looking at it a different way, there aren't reports of Macan/Q5 drivers having problems like we're seeing.

The Macan/Q5 M/C piston is about 10% bigger than most GTI's/R's, which is a fact. We have also discovered VW/VAG made a small change and potentially upgraded and specced a larger M/C (to match the Macan/Q5 diameter of 25.4mm) for later models (7.5 and up looks like).

While knockback springs do work, considering there are other factors at play I'm not going to automatically assume and conclude/throw money and parts into solutions that may not even address the core problem but rather act as a bandaid.
I have a '19 7.5 R and had the same issue, so don't think it's a larger MC

Piggy_bee

Eggplants slotted on 340 rotors
mmexport1610706150081.jpg
mmexport1610706184749.jpg
IMG_20210120_111614_116.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Meh, I'd be fine with a bandaid if it works.