GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What would you make of this? 2018 GSW electrical gremlin.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
To be clear the dealer will continue to diagnose, I was just asking for my own knowledge. Is a bad gateway a good reason to punt, or is it as simple as swapping the component and recoding?

Believe me @Strange Mud it's been on my mind. LOL.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Got a call back. After everything, battery voltage was low after sitting for 3+ weeks. Turns out we are OK. I am LOL'ing, but will be picking up my car today. zero cost, confidence in the cluster repair being the fix.

I'll be cautiously working to get back 'to good' with my beloved wagon over the coming weeks.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
post # 6...this was the original problem.

idk but I liked it back then and I still like it.

hopefully the problem has gone away, intermittent problems suck

Mud
Well, the battery wasn't before... but it was after. 100% confident it was not the battery, lol. I'm sure it was an 'oh shit' moment for the dealer tech, though.

EDIT: For clarity how I understand it, there was only a low voltage code, or minimal code issues after the cluster swap, all due to the battery drain from 3+ weeks at the dealer for diagnosis and repair. Not the 60+ cascading codes from the cluster databus error, i guess.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Well, the battery wasn't before... but it was after. 100% confident it was not the battery, lol. I'm sure it was an 'oh shit' moment for the dealer tech, though.

EDIT: For clarity how I understand it, there was only a low voltage code, or minimal code issues after the cluster swap, all due to the battery drain from 3+ weeks at the dealer for diagnosis and repair. Not the 60+ cascading codes from the cluster databus error, i guess.
I thought you said all the codes came back after swapping the cluster? So would this have not been the battery the whole time if that's the case?

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I thought you said all the codes came back after swapping the cluster? So would this have not been the battery the whole time if that's the case?
I did at first, you are correct. Service advisor called Friday night and didn't have the full story. Master tech called monday AM with the update/good news and quelled any of that miscommunication.

Service advisor is fantastic, but not the sharpest tool in the shed. I was honestly under the impression we were back at square one, but it appears we are good. Relief.

To be clear, I pick the car up today. Cluster was the fix, per dealer and car is back to normal. I'll update as I get back into the car.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Thanks for keeping us all abreast of this, piece by piece. I certainly wouldn't have thought a faulty cluster, but I guess everything else was checked and that was all that remained.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Appreciate everyone's input and desire to see this through. I am a competent garage hack, but I think we can all agree that this is a weird one.

I guess a databus is housed in the cluster and that's where they pinpointed the fault. VTA tech line advised cluster swap was appropriate, and not chasing a canbus overlay into the cluster. It truly answers all of my symptoms and feels like a clean diagnosis. Car has another 50 miles on it, and a stop at the spray wash to rinse a little bit of salt off from the drive home. zero drama. I expect to have this in the back of my mind for many months, and i'll report back w/ updates if anything else comes from this.

For those that might still be on the battery, battery tests well. it's def not the battery :)

cb1111

Glad to see it sorted. The tech line has seen every fault imaginable but they are often given wrong - or incomplete -info. You'll have many more years with this car - glad you didn't give up on it.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Went for a little Starbucks run this AM. Car is already putting a smile on my face again.

I agree, tech line see's it all... I am feeling good about the dealer/tech line diagnosis! FINGERS CROSSED!

Maybe i'll actually install the H&R 25mm RSB, MOOG end Links, and OEM Golf R brake swap soon!

cb1111

Went for a little Starbucks run this AM. Car is already putting a smile on my face again.

I agree, tech line see's it all... I am feeling good about the dealer/tech line diagnosis! FINGERS CROSSED!

Maybe i'll actually install the H&R 25mm RSB, MOOG end Links, and OEM Golf R brake swap soon!
Whoa there, big boy, give it awhile to make sure that there are no issues (a month or so) before you pull out the wrenches.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Whoa there, big boy, give it awhile to make sure that there are no issues (a month or so) before you pull out the wrenches.
haha, no doubt. Big MAAAYBE, and 100% a spring project at the earliest. Needs a few months of shakedowns.

If problems persist, you'll see some very high quality parts FS, LOL