GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
For me it’s like, I imagine I’ll own this car for 2-3 more years. So being that I don’t track and drive the car too often, that’s probably 4-5 sets of tires. For 18s, tires are about $100-$150 a set more than 17s. The Apex wheels will probably be $1000ish with group buy discount (their existing 17x9 for BRZ is $265 a wheel I believe) and APR is $1100 for a set. So basically it will cost me $850 more to run 18s for 3 years versus 17s. Is $850 worth two months of waiting? Yea. But am I rational person when it comes to car spending? No. So who knows where I’ll end up.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
For me it’s like, I imagine I’ll own this car for 2-3 more years. So being that I don’t track and drive the car too often, that’s probably 4-5 sets of tires. For 18s, tires are about $100-$150 a set more than 17s. The Apex wheels will probably be $1000ish with group buy discount (their existing 17x9 for BRZ is $265 a wheel I believe) and APR is $1100 for a set. So basically it will cost me $850 more to run 18s for 3 years versus 17s. Is $850 worth two months of waiting? Yea. But am I rational person when it comes to car spending? No. So who knows where I’ll end up.
It worth it if you damage a wheel.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
It worth it if you damage a wheel.
I’ve bent a wheel at the track and the 50% replacement is a great service to their Customers.
COVID continues to play havoc with supply chains in 2021.

It sucks for us but it is also tough on businesses who make a living manufacturing components in this space. It’s difficult for them to commit to a launch date with circumstances changing on a dime Due to COVID.
There is a significant investment in time and money to get wheels manufactured CORRECTLY. I hate the delay, but those wheels look so damn good and the 17’s will clear a 350mm BBK and handle some abuse on track. Really hard to beat that.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Any thoughts to the new 240 treadwear Cup 2's?

Don't know, but I LOVE the 180tw Cup 2's. Just was on with TireRack because I could not find the original 180tw. Apparently they will be phasing them out replacing with the 240 "Cup 2 Connects". More likely to be going to AO52's this season.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Anybody ever run the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3R? Dumb name aside, I have a contact where I can get a solid discount on Goodyear tires. If they're not complete trash, I might try them out.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anybody ever run the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3R? Dumb name aside, I have a contact where I can get a solid discount on Goodyear tires. If they're not complete trash, I might try them out.
I haven't, but a lot of One Lap guys have done testing with them and like them. They have a facebook group, you could hop on there and ask.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
It shouldn't be this hard to run a 17x9, it sucks.

I'm torn between waiting, which I was hoping to not have to do. It's either that or buy a set of F14 from Forgestar or buy a set of Advanti Storm S1 in 35 offset and just deal with 7mm spacer at each corner

Have you by chance asked Forgestar for a quote on 17x9 et 42 wheels? I’m seeing different price ranges out there.

For Goodyear Supercar 3Rs, I don’t know much about them on our cars, but a few McLaren owners I follow on Instagram (who track their cars) seem to love them.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
The reason the Cup 2 Connects are so expensive is they have built in sensors that can provide real time feedback on temperature, PSI, even lap time on certain tracks apparently. But if your aren’t going to utilize those features (which I imagine requires some even more expensive hardware) then I wouldn’t buy them.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Have you by chance asked Forgestar for a quote on 17x9 et 42 wheels? I’m seeing different price ranges out there.

For Goodyear Supercar 3Rs, I don’t know much about them on our cars, but a few McLaren owners I follow on Instagram (who track their cars) seem to love them.
Yeah, I asked them directly and was quoted 1560 for a set. It's definitely more than the Apex buy, which will probably be around 1k even if their other wheel prices are anything to go by.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
The reason the Cup 2 Connects are so expensive is they have built in sensors that can provide real time feedback on temperature, PSI, even lap time on certain tracks apparently. But if your aren’t going to utilize those features (which I imagine requires some even more expensive hardware) then I wouldn’t buy them.

There is also the 240 treadwear non-connect versions too. I had ordered a set in the beginning of Dec from Costco and they still haven't arrived. Total including install comes out to $1200 which is marginally more than A052's.

Anyhow, I've missed so many track days due to the shipment delay that I decided to order another set of A052's from Tirerack. The A052's came out toe $1100 without install which means it will actually end up costing more than the Cup 2's.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
There is also the 240 treadwear non-connect versions too. I had ordered a set in the beginning of Dec from Costco and they still haven't arrived. Total including install comes out to $1200 which is marginally more than A052's.

Anyhow, I've missed so many track days due to the shipment delay that I decided to order another set of A052's from Tirerack. The A052's came out toe $1100 without install which means it will actually end up costing more than the Cup 2's.
1100?? For which sizes?

For 17" rims the 245 and 255 are right around $220 a piece