GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If I buy a used car from dealership but I have to do title, tag, license work

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Update: they did the job through 3rd party compnay; they said it could take longer than doing it for myself. Hope the entire processes are done asap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am in PA and trying to buy a used car from an out of state dealership.

They said they do not have a license for processing title, tag, and license fees, so I should do it my self. I am using downpayment and will use finance rest of the money.

Can I visit DMV after buying the car and pay corresponding tax, tag, license fees by cash?

Last edited:

codypka

Go Kart Champion
You should be able to, though covid complicates things. I know the DMV offices here in NJ subject to shutdowns. And when they are open many things are by appointment only.

I assume the out of state dealer will give you a temp tag. You'll drive on that until your permanent tags are done. Dont take your time though, cause if your temp expires before you get your permanent tags there is likely nothing the dealer can do about it. You'll have to park your new car

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
What is this, some strip mall dealer? Any "real" dealership should be able to process an out-of-state deal.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Some dealerships don’t know the first thing about out-of-state deals.
I bought my 2020 brand new in SC, and drove it back up to NC. I went through headache after headache with the paperwork. Three trips to the DMV, two calls with Raleigh DMV headquarters, and weeks later it was finally sorted out.

Also, they swore up and down I could drive around with the new car on the license plate of the car I had traded in. Wouldn’t take no for an answer after I told them multiple times NC doesn’t allow that. So, couldn’t get a temp tag due to them slapping on my old license plate. Guess what.. that practice is highly illegal in NC.

All this to say, some dealerships just don’t know jack about out of state deals no matter how good they are with locals.

Last edited:

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Some dealerships don’t know the first thing about out-of-state deals.
I bought my 2020 brand new in SC, and drove it back up to NC. I went through headache after headache with the paperwork. Three trips to the DMV, two calls with Raleigh DMV headquarters, and weeks later it was finally sorted out.

Also, they swore up and down I could drive around with the new car on the license plate of the car I had traded in. Wouldn’t take no for an answer after I told them multiple times NC doesn’t allow that. So, couldn’t get a temp tag due to them slapping on my old license plate. Guess what.. that practice is highly illegal in NC.

All this to say, some dealerships just don’t know back about out of state deals no matter how good they are with locals.
I was in Raleigh for several years and I do agree. Raleigh DMV is crazy.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
I work for a dealership in PA that's why i know...legitimate dealerships out of state can do temporary tags for you just to get you home...as well as make it so you pay PA state tax when you purchase it.

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
I work for a dealership in PA that's why i know...legitimate dealerships out of state can do temporary tags for you just to get you home...as well as make it so you pay PA state tax when you purchase it.
Hey,
Thanks for leaving your valuable comment. If so, can I just visit DMV to pay other amounts?

I was wondering how I can deal with the title especially, since I will have to provide it to my bank, DCU, with their lien holder name on it.

Will I get the title from dealership I will purchase and provide it to DMV? Can you tel me the order?

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
so here lets start here...are you getting it from a small car lot of a manufacturer dealership? doesnt have to be a vw dealer but you get what i mean? You can go to a DMV or title and tag place to pay the other stuff. The dealership would be responsible to send the title to the Lien Holder.

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
How do they make you pay PA state tax? I'm pretty sure you're only supposed to pay state tax in the state which you're registering the car...

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
How do they make you pay PA state tax? I'm pretty sure you're only supposed to pay state tax in the state which you're registering the car...
Some out-of-state dealers collect the PA tax and submit it to PA, along with handling all of the title services. They offer the service so that you don't choose an in-state dealer for convenience. They don't make you pay the tax, they offer the collection as a service so that you don't have to do everything yourself.

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Some out-of-state dealers collect the PA tax and submit it to PA, along with handling all of the title services. They offer the service so that you don't choose an in-state dealer for convenience. They don't make you pay the tax, they offer the collection as a service so that you don't have to do everything yourself.
lmao nvm. I read bluekid99's post as "his PA dealership makes out of state buyers pay PA tax" i'm like thinking that's not how that works ... but I understand what he means now. He means out of state dealers are capable of helping OP pay PA state tax.