GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diggs24 Build Thread - "Tapioca XL"

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
With the extra boost and vacuum it's possible the pcv fails sooner and needs to be serviced more frequently. I was getting similar looking plugs after track weekends before my catch can.

Have you tried an inline catch can with pcv to see how much and what you're catching?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I put the original PCV back in to see how it handles it. I would only get a little puff with it and my plugs always looked good. The BL started off ok but it gradually got worse. If the original BM PCV has the same issue I'll look into catch can options. Or just not hammer it off right hand turns. :)

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I put the original PCV back in to see how it handles it. I would only get a little puff with it and my plugs always looked good. The BL started off ok but it gradually got worse. If the original BM PCV has the same issue I'll look into catch can options. Or just not hammer it off right hand turns. :)

Haha, but we live in the flattest of areas, so the right turns at lights are really our only source of street cornering fun! 🙃

You're welcome to try out my catch can if you want. It's inline so it swaps on and off the pcv in about 20 mins.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I put the original PCV back in to see how it handles it. I would only get a little puff with it and my plugs always looked good. The BL started off ok but it gradually got worse.
Seems odd that the BL PCV works incredibly well for some and not/only ok for others. I picked up a BL for my R to throw on, in addition to, a bunch of other suspension mods going on over the winter for upcoming track (HPDE not strip) days in Spring/summer. I have a RL CC still sitting in box, but wanted to try BL PCV to see how effective it is on my car, because don't want to deal with the cold weather challenges with a CC if I can help it. Fingers crossed I guess.
.... It's inline so it swaps on and off the pcv in about 20 mins.
Are you using the ECS one? There's a guy here locally with a S3 (posts on the forum) that uses the BL with a ECS CC and that solution seems to have worked quite well for him on track days at High Plains

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Seems odd that the BL PCV works incredibly well for some and not/only ok for others. I picked up a BL for my R to throw on, in addition to, a bunch of other suspension mods going on over the winter for upcoming track (HPDE not strip) days in Spring/summer. I have a RL CC still sitting in box, but wanted to try BL PCV to see how effective it is on my car, because don't want to deal with the cold weather challenges with a CC if I can help it. Fingers crossed I guess.

Are you using the ECS one? There's a guy here locally with a S3 (posts on the forum) that uses the BL with a ECS CC and that solution seems to have worked quite well for him on track days at High Plains
Nope, I use the BFI one with the stock pcv. It definitely solved my problem and I'm not throwing up smokescreens or earning CELs then hobbling it to the pit on three cylinders anymore. The screw on the bottom for emptying is kind of a joke unless you run a hose down. Personally I find it easier to empty by using an aquarium air line to drop through the dipstick hole and just vacuum it out.

If you plan to go to slicks or to actually do some racing, I would recommend a baffled oil pan. In addition to preventing the surging of oil, it will keep your oil pump and lubrication healthy.