GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

ehancock

Ready to race!
I worked with @simaservis1108 this weekend to program my MIB2 in my 2015 Golf R. Surprisingly my rear camera and MIB1 amp worked without coding (I was able to place a call with CarPlay even with CP) We removed CP, fixed FEC/SWAP codes, my drive modes which stopped working with the MIB2 unit, and he added performance monitor. I've used the MIB2 interface and CarPlay in other cars before, but having it in my R makes the car feel so much more premium, it seems so silly. Now that it's done, I wish i would have gone with a larger screen but it was hard to pass up such a good deal.

- Screen PN: 5GM919605 (came with bezel even though it's the same dimensions) - Purchased locally for $50
- MIB 2 computer PN: 3Q0035876B - $120 from LKQ - Simaservis recommended this as a stable MIB2 unit.
- MDI USB Interface/Cable I ordered: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32818085462.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.59f27259PX5kQD - $45
- Simaservis' time: I'll refrain from posting this here because each deal is probably somewhat different

For what money I put into the swap I am more than satisfied.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
We removed CP, fixed FEC/SWAP codes, my drive modes which stopped working with the MIB2 unit, and he added performance monitor.

Now that it's done, I wish i would have gone with a larger screen but it was hard to pass up such a good deal.

- Simaservis' time: I'll refrain from posting this here because each deal is probably somewhat different

Congrats! Yes, it is a really nice upgrade. I have been happy with the 6.5" screen, but I came from the tiny 5.8" screen. Per my understanding, it is more then just Simaseris time; it is the purchase of the Ap Connect FeC through him, the diagnostic/ODIS license cost through VW's erwin system, and their knowledge/experience. Having a resources like Simaservis and others like Jack for a retrofit like this or situations like repairs that require CP removal and FeC reinstall is exceptionally valuable.

You mentioned driving modes not working. Below is the link to get the driving modes pop up menu to display with new head unit.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...conversion-part-1.343701/page-76#post-7532188

"Heads up on getting driving modes pop up menu to work after replacing head unit.

I recently replaced the MIB2 3Q0035844 head unit which I swapped with a 3Q0035844B due to a problem with the unit draining battery
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/infotainment-unit-draining-battery.379517/ After CP removal and FeC installation, my "driving modes" pop up menu did not function when pressing driving mode button. You need to change this line of adaptations code to active to get driving modes pop up menu to work

ENG122229-ENG117736-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-charisma_0x17"

Last edited:

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
They are working as it should :)
They were not working when first mounted unit was from car without the Charisma

ehancock

Ready to race!
Congrats! Yes, it is a really nice upgrade. I have been happy with the 6.5" screen, but I came from the tiny 5.8" screen. Per my understanding, it is more then just Simaseris time; it is the purchase of the Ap Connect FeC through him, the diagnostic/ODIS license cost through VW's erwin system, and their knowledge/experience. Having a resources like Simaservis and others like Jack for a retrofit like this or situations like repairs that require CP removal and FeC reinstall is exceptionally valuable.

You mentioned driving modes not working. Below is the link to get the driving modes pop up menu to display with new head unit.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...conversion-part-1.343701/page-76#post-7532188

"Heads up on getting driving modes pop up menu to work after replacing head unit.

I recently replaced the MIB2 3Q0035844 head unit which I swapped with a 3Q0035844B due to a problem with the unit draining battery
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/infotainment-unit-draining-battery.379517/ After CP removal and FeC installation, my "driving modes" pop up menu did not function when pressing driving mode button. You need to change this line of adaptations code to active to get driving modes pop up menu to work

ENG122229-ENG117736-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-charisma_0x17"

Thanks for the info! I wasn't clear, Simaservis was able to get me completely squared away. Those were the things that needed to be addressed prior to his programming and he was able to fix

luckyluuk

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.2TSI 2015
Hi all!

Thanks for this amazing forum and specially the DIY from George Ab. Took me almost a week to come to page 80!! But here I am. I'll be contacting simaservis1108 very soon to help me out (programming) since I hear only good things about him.

Current setup in my GOLF 7 1.2TSI 2015 no cameras no sensors no parkassist no drivermodes no performance monitor just halogen lights and cruisecontrol and 6 gears.
  • MIB1 no nav and one SD
  • 5.8" screen
  • Medium Canbus
Already build in
  • MIB2.5 with DAB+ 5NA 035 020 A (out of an EGolf)
  • DAB+ Antenna (AliExpress)
  • GPS Antenna (AliExpress)
  • 9.2" screen 5G6 919 606 + Basel (out of an EGolf)
  • USB/AUX 5G0 035 222 F / 5QD 035 726 J + cables (tweaked the original cable and seems to work CarPlay and charging) from AliExpress
To be build in and already in possession
  • Digital cockpit 5G1 920 791 A + basel (out of an EGolf)
  • MOST Y Cable (but not sure if its the correct one since it only fits in the MIB2,5 and Digital cockpit and not in the 9.2" screen??)
  • MQB High Canbus Gateway 5Q0 907 530 AM (from Aliexpress)
To be build in and still looking for it
  • Reverse VW logo camera + wiring
  • Front and rear sensors
So far so good! Looks like its working. Nav works (GPS can be better but at the moment just lying around hidden behind the MIB), CarPlay works but obviously no sound because CP.

Got a WIN7 64bit, ODIS 5.1.6 (offline) working with VAS5054A OKI, VAG-COM HEX-V2 with Rosstech, 8GB SD-card, CAT5 cable and NOT d-link dub e-100 BUT at the moment only: ASUS 90XB05WN-MCA010 OH102 USB3.0 to RJ45 DONGLE/ 1000 Mbps and was hoping this would do the trick as well otherwise I will have to buy one around here. I saw a few pages back someone posting the new model dlink dub e100 vs the old one... old one is just €15.

At the moment the car is at the garage to repair some bumper and and light damage but will be ready next week!

I need some advice on how to proceed from here...

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I saw a few pages back someone posting the new model dlink dub e100 vs the old one... old one is just €15.
I have used the old d-link and it worked well to install the FeC's. It sounds like you are almost there for the MIB2.5 and have all the hardware with the addition of a D-link simaservis will be able to remove CP and install FeC's.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@luckyluuk you only need the MOST Y cable if you also have the amp under the front seat (Fender, or Dynaudio). Otherwise you just need a straight MOST cable to go from the MIB 2.5 to the Digital Cockpit).

MOST does not connect to the screen though, so nothing to worry about there.

CollinK101

So I have a 2015 GTI and I went from MIB 1 to MIB 2, everything on it works but randomly my app connect will stop working / disconnect from my phone. I have a Oneplus 7 pro, but have tried with my friends iPhones and it was no different. It can happen twice in a 2 hour drive or every 2 minutes for my entire drive. Its at the point that I just switch over to bluetooth but the whole point of going to MIB 2 was for app connect.

Fixes I have tried:

I have given my head unit (3Q0035876A) to my electrical engineer friend and he looked through the board and had seen no issues.

My first USB/Aux and harness was from AliExpress, I just got an oem USB/Aux 5G0035222E from ecstuning and that still did not solve the issue.

The only thing left that I can think to try is get a new harness from Ali express, I haven't seen an oem harness on ecstuning.

Has anyone experience any issues like this?

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
So I have a 2015 GTI and I went from MIB 1 to MIB 2, everything on it works but randomly my app connect will stop working / disconnect form my phone. I have a Oneplus 7 pro, but have tried with my friends iPhones and it was no different. It can happen twice in a 2 hour drive or every 2 minutes for my entire drive. Its at the point that I just switch over to bluetooth but the whole point of going to MIB 2 was for app connect.

Fixes I have tried:

I have given my head unit (3Q0035876A) to my electrical engineer friend and he looked through the board and had seen no issues.

My first USB/Aux and harness was from AliExpress, I just got an oem USB/Aux 5G0035222E from ecstuning and that still did not solve the issue.

The only thing left that I can think to try is get a new harness from Ali express, I haven't seen an oem harness on ecstuning.

Pretty certain it has nothing to do with your retrofit, others have reported similar issues with app connect.

Best suggestion (unfortunately) is to try another cable.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
So I have a 2015 GTI and I went from MIB 1 to MIB 2, everything on it works but randomly my app connect will stop working / disconnect form my phone.

Sorry to hear this. No I have not experienced this. Hmm, so things to try. I would start by trying to isolate to harness or head unit. Ideas to isolate would be to see if hard reboot has any effect on issue. If it does, it may not be harness. I would also remove head unit so you can get to back of unit and flex back connector and remove the cubby so I could flex the connector at USB connection while the connection is maintained between head unit and phone in an attempt to duplicate problem. I would then try to just tap on head unit itself to see if that duplicates problem. If nothing, would take an ohm meter and check continuity while flexing cable. If the cable test good, I would think about replacing head unit. Sorry for even mentioning. I had a bad head unit for another issue and it cost $135 for unit and $40 for CP removal and FeC reinstall.

CollinK101

Sorry to hear this. No I have not experienced this. Hmm, so things to try. I would start by trying to isolate to harness or head unit. Ideas to isolate would be to see if hard reboot has any effect on issue. If it does, it may not be harness. I would also remove head unit so you can get to back of unit and flex back connector and remove the cubby so I could flex the connector at USB connection while the connection is maintained between head unit and phone in an attempt to duplicate problem. I would then try to just tap on head unit itself to see if that duplicates problem. If nothing, would take an ohm meter and check continuity while flexing cable. If the cable test good, I would think about replacing head unit. Sorry for even mentioning. I had a bad head unit for another issue and it cost $135 for unit and $40 for CP removal and FeC reinstall.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will try pulling it out and wiggling the cables that might actually be the problem because of how I routed the new usb harness to go to the Head Unit. And if it did end up being the Head Unit, then its possible to have the FeC transferred so I would not have to pay for App Connect activation again?

CollinK101

90% certainty that it's the usb cable or a dirty port on the phone. That was my experience both with an OTG cable and with the USB cable for mine.
I have tried many USB cables on my android as well as cables with iPhones and its the same issue, so the problem can only be the USB harness or head unit I believe.