GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Warfe-Motorsports

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 MQB
No reason why not but I'd hardly think you were getting the most from it. Without a flash, there's only so much boost you can use without more alcohol and even with that, there's a timing/boost/ fuel constraint without a tune. I suppose you could run out of fueling with enough but if you just want to get the i38 for now and get some more ponies for a while before you take it further, should be fine. You only need enough fuel for the boost it can hold and that won't change much without outside of high RPM and/or more e30 in the mix or a tune.

Still useful to add boost and fuel pressure now and fine tune a flash when you get that.
Thanks man. The plan is to tune the car soon. But its my girlfriends car and priority is mainly on my big turbo car and i came across a great deal on the is38. I figured why not test the waters a little with it. If anything it will hold peak boost better than that tiny is12.
PS. Thanks for the info.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I have no experience with the is38 so maybe get another opinion but don't see an issue as long as you set it for more fuel pressure when needed and don't get carried away with alcohol.

Warfe-Motorsports

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 MQB
I have no experience with the is38 so maybe get another opinion but don't see an issue as long as you set it for more fuel pressure when needed and don't get carried away with alcohol.
me get carried away lol. As i look at three motors in my building needing bottom ends haha. A precision 6062 on 34 pounds stock bottom end doesn't sit well together. :)

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
could the jb4 support an is38 on a lower boost settings? fueling is the main concern but i was just curious if any one has tried it with some sort of success.

I don't see why not. You will surely lose some spunk on the low end, but you can surely hold a healthy 16 psi from the IS38 up to 6000 at least. It's gonna pull harder than a stock GTI for sure on the highway. Just start tuning it and throw up logs.

Warfe-Motorsports

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 MQB
I don't see why not. You will surely lose some spunk on the low end, but you can surely hold a healthy 16 psi from the IS38 up to 6000 at least. It's gonna pull harder than a stock GTI for sure on the highway. Just start tuning it and throw up logs.
Thanks Zumble! Ive got stock s3 piston assembly for hpfp would swapping that into the 1.8t hpfp bump my fuel pressure up? i wasnt sure if anybody else had tried that or not.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Thanks Zumble! Ive got stock s3 piston assembly for hpfp would swapping that into the 1.8t hpfp bump my fuel pressure up? i wasnt sure if anybody else had tried that or not.

You need to tune for it. If you have a tuning solution that would support it, why not. The JB4 won't cut it. Reflect Tuning may be able to help you.

Last edited:

Warfe-Motorsports

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 MQB
You need to tune for it. If you have a tuning solution that was our support it, why not. The JB4 won't cut it. Reflect Tuning may be able to help you.
Sounds good ive been using maestro for ages but at this point he doesnt want to build a file for the a3 1.8t. And im not a huge fan of not having somewhat control of my tunes. But i will reach out to Reflect. I appreciate it.

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
So I just wanted to share some of my findings today. I just went Unitronic Stage 1 tune on my stock 1.8T, and before doing so I was running JB4 with a Map 6 setup on about E25 fuel. It's also worth noting that George and I actually weren't finished dialling in Map 6 yet, and it likely had more in it (no timing corrections at all).

The Unitronic tune is running ~2psi less between 4000-6000rpm and timing is within 0.5 degrees between the two at any given snapshot in the RPM range. The extra 2 psi is noticable, and quite honestly the E25 fuel setup on Map 6 did feel faster than just running stage 1. I confirmed my feeling by using Dragy. Unfortunately it's been wet out everyday, so the only fair comparison I could make without wheel spin was from 50-120kmh (31-75mph).
Map 6 w/ E25 did it in 6.56 sec
Unitronic Stage 1 did it in 7.15 (0.59 seconds slower)
I did multiple runs, and these were the best of.

My Map 6 settings had me peaking and holding around 15.2-15.5psi, where as the Unitronic is peaking 14.5 and holding about 13.5.
Each run varies a little bit as far as boost and timing go at any given point in the RPM. But for the sake of simplicity, on an overall average across the RPM range of 3500-6200, Map 6 with E25 was 1.775psi higher. Timing was basically a wash.

Overall, the flash tune does drive a bit better and definitely has better throttle response though :)

Time to stack?

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Yes :)

It sounds like the JB4 plus their throttle controller at a low setting would be a great way for owners, that want to keep their warranty, to get flash type performance or simply not take as big a hit on resale. The one thing that has always been an issue with these cars is the throttle response. It did get better with the obd direct setting by losing the long pause it had intermittently but the response is still not crisp. Flashes usually fix that but so do throttle controllers at low enhanced settings. Get one that you can calibrate like the BMS.
Not you obviously but those folks not flashing that want the pedal to feel crisper.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
So I just wanted to share some of my findings today. I just went Unitronic Stage 1 tune on my stock 1.8T, and before doing so I was running JB4 with a Map 6 setup on about E25 fuel. It's also worth noting that George and I actually weren't finished dialling in Map 6 yet, and it likely had more in it (no timing corrections at all).

The Unitronic tune is running ~2psi less between 4000-6000rpm and timing is within 0.5 degrees between the two at any given snapshot in the RPM range. The extra 2 psi is noticable, and quite honestly the E25 fuel setup on Map 6 did feel faster than just running stage 1. I confirmed my feeling by using Dragy. Unfortunately it's been wet out everyday, so the only fair comparison I could make without wheel spin was from 50-120kmh (31-75mph).
Map 6 w/ E25 did it in 6.56 sec
Unitronic Stage 1 did it in 7.15 (0.59 seconds slower)
I did multiple runs, and these were the best of.

My Map 6 settings had me peaking and holding around 15.2-15.5psi, where as the Unitronic is peaking 14.5 and holding about 13.5.
Each run varies a little bit as far as boost and timing go at any given point in the RPM. But for the sake of simplicity, on an overall average across the RPM range of 3500-6200, Map 6 with E25 was 1.775psi higher. Timing was basically a wash.

Overall, the flash tune does drive a bit better and definitely has better throttle response though :)

Time to stack?

The real magic is when you use the JB4 and a Uni tune together!

AWDWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

I have a JB1 and just switched to MAP6, after almost 3 years of MAP1.

I use Shell 91, stock engine, no mods. 1.8 TSI 4motion 6MT

It was preloaded with the following (for 93):

Boost safety @ 4.8

Are these good numbers?, or switch to the following for 91 octane as posted by others:

Thanks!

SuperJ

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 sportwagen 4mo
I'm curious about this too. Baseline MAP 6 for 1.8 is12 MT and 4motion. Something that isn't too abusive to the clutch.

SuperJ

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 sportwagen 4mo