GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JerseyDrew's 2016 GTI S build, a.k.a. Jersey Devil

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Okay, so I am having a little issue here with my Spulen OCC. The actual catch can is the problem. It fills up with blow-by and when I go to drain it, nothing flows out BECAUSE the blow-by is this thick sludge that, apparently, is too thick for the drain valve. I have to physically remove the can, along with the drain valve from the can, in order to drain it. As you can see in the picture below, the can was full of that thick sludge and that's only from 5 days of driving with a handful of WOT pulls. So now I am searching for just a can that screws open in order to drain it.

View attachment 198358
You're getting a mixture of combustion blowby and water from the cold weather. It should still be a very thin viscosity though.

Below is the can that I use with the Spulen OCC. It unscrews to empty but it's smaller than the Spulen can which means you'll have to empty it more often. It's a baffled can and works great. Just put your current hoses on this can.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...-/264840182611?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
You're getting a mixture of combustion blowby and water from the cold weather. It should still be a very thin viscosity though.

Below is the can that I use with the Spulen OCC. It unscrews to empty but it's smaller than the Spulen can which means you'll have to empty it more often. It's a baffled can and works great. Just put your current hoses on this can.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...-/264840182611?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

It used to be thin and not an issue up until 3 months ago. This stuff is thick like syrup and does not go down the drain valve/hose.

So how did you get the AN fittings off of the Spulen can or did you just by adapters for your can?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It used to be thin and not an issue up until 3 months ago. This stuff is thick like syrup and does not go down the drain valve/hose.

So how did you get the AN fittings off of the Spulen can or did you just by adapters for your can?
I didn't install it so DynoComp used AN fittings that they had if they needed to. They didn't say anything to me about it.

I wonder why yours got so thick?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Does the viscosity of that stuff change with warmer temps?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does the viscosity of that stuff change with warmer temps?
Mine doesn't. The only difference is when the temperature gets down to around 40* it's also collecting condensation as the engine warms up. But the viscosity in mine is the same with just the combustion blowby and when water is collected also. It's always a very thin viscosity.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Well, no more WOT pulls for me until I have my block built. After researching and talking to a few people, all the sludge from my catch can is a clear indication that my piston rings are on their way out. So I'll be driving it like a grandma till then. Sucks but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Well, no more WOT pulls for me until I have my block built. After researching and talking to a few people, all the sludge from my catch can is a clear indication that my piston rings are on their way out. So I'll be driving it like a grandma till then. Sucks but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Daaaaaang

glad I got a ride before you found this crap out

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sorry to hear that. Since you're going to build a block why don't you try a can of Amsoil engine flush and drain it from the oil pan and see if there's any difference.
How many miles do you have on the current engine?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Scope it and let’s see.

Yep, will be doing that tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that. Since you're going to build a block why don't you try a can of Amsoil engine flush and drain it from the oil pan and see if there's any difference.
How many miles do you have on the current engine?

I have 80,221 miles on it.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Today, I took my borescope to all four cylinders and cylinder 4 is definitely the culprit; the piston head had that brown sludge all over it. I need to get an SD card adaptor so I can load the videos to my laptop, which I will do tomorrow. I will also be talking to my mechanic tomorrow to see when I can drop my car off to start the process of building my block.