GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autobahn's Golf R Clubsport Build

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Amazing build! I noticed that you got the Cup 2's for street use. Typically how many miles would they last?

thanks!

I’m not too sure, maybe 10k max but that’s just a guess. They don’t seem to pick up as many small rocks/gravel as my RE-71R track tires but still are very sticky. Also the tread isn’t very deep. I had planned to track them but I’m hesitant to beat up the wheels

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
1/1/2021 Update:

Installing my KW Clubsports, Eurosport front strut bar, 034 upper dog bone insert, and alignment tomorrow.

Will corner balance once I get my ride height worked out.

Heading back to Auto Club Roval in a week, we’ll see how the new suspension and more seat time on the car/new turbo go.

Ordered some Stage 1 BFI engine mounts too

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
thanks!

I’m not too sure, maybe 10k max but that’s just a guess. They don’t seem to pick up as many small rocks/gravel as my RE-71R track tires but still are very sticky. Also the tread isn’t very deep. I had planned to track them but I’m hesitant to beat up the wheels

That does make sense. thanks a lot! I got a set of TC105x's as well with Cup 2's. Currently only using the Cup2's for track use but hell if they can last 10k that would be great to keep on all the time.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
That does make sense. thanks a lot! I got a set of TC105x's as well with Cup 2's. Currently only using the Cup2's for track use but hell if they can last 10k that would be great to keep on all the time.

Congrats, with how light they are, your car is going to drive great. If you stay off the curbs on track I think they’ll do fine

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Friday, 1/8:

KW Clubsports installed last Saturday along with my upper 034 dog bone mount to go with the APR insert I had installed.

Suspension feels great, I didn’t max out the camber front plates since -2.1 has been working fine with my RE-71r tires. I netted out at -2.3 with moving plates 80% inward, I didn’t want to cut the towers for ease of adjustment. Rear I bumped up to -2.1 from -1.8, I had the tiniest bit of tire wear on the rear passenger fender from December’s track event.

Headed back out to Auto Club Roval tomorrow unless they cancel the event last minute due to California lock down 🤦

Taking my track wheels to get rebalanced this morning, wheel weights melted off the passenger front wheel last event. I’m anxious to see how they fit with the new ride height, not too worried since 255/35/18 isn’t very tall at 25”

416E9A8F-D071-4BB9-9C86-DF90ADB8E990.jpeg

C3A69CB3-1965-4AA9-8348-058E7D3FC10E.jpeg

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Have you changed your rotors since you put the track studs on? I installed a set this spring and I'm having a hell of a time getting my rotors out. Car is relatively low mileage/not winter driven, I'm wondering if the studs are making it worse.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Have you changed your rotors since you put the track studs on? I installed a set this spring and I'm having a hell of a time getting my rotors out. Car is relatively low mileage/not winter driven, I'm wondering if the studs are making it worse.
I have the same track studs and if you look carefully they were not touching the brake rotors. Rotors come out fine but you need to make sure to remove the screw that holds the rotor on, and also give it a nice bang with a rubber mallet. The surface where the rotor mates to the hub assembly can seize.

It also helps if you put on a very thin coat of anti-seize behind the rotor hats when you install them again (but make sure not to get them on the rotor braking surface).

Last edited:

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I have the same track studs and if you look carefully they were not touching the brake rotors. Rotors come out fine but you need to make sure to remove the screw that holds the rotor on, and also give it a nice bang with a rubber mallet. The surface where the rotor mates to the hub assembly can seize.

It also helps if you put on a very thin coat of anti-seize behind the rotor hats when you install them again (but make sure not to get them on the rotor braking surface).

Exactly, a tiny bit of grease and a dead blow in case works well. I have giro disc rotors so I haven’t had issues. VW sells a spray wax which I heard works well too.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I must ask, have your wheel caps fallen out at the track? My Neuspeed RSe16 “RS” wheel caps popped out on the last track day because they deformed from so much heat. I thought they were metal, doh!

did you disable XDS? I usually run my car in ESC sport, not totally off at the track.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Yeah, I've taken rotors off cars with more winter grime than this, I was surprised it was such a pain with such low mileage/lack of winter driving. PB Blaster and a mallet did the job but I think it fried the threadlocker on the studs, so they're gone now anyway.

Unfortunately track-studs/apexcompetition seems to be gone. Cool find though, got some good ideas from your car. I have a similar wheel/tire setup, and haven't had rubbing but the rear strut clearance is minimal. You're not running spacers and you have additional camber in the rear? Must be tight.

Did you change out your endlinks for the corner balance?

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I must ask, have your wheel caps fallen out at the track? My Neuspeed RSe16 “RS” wheel caps popped out on the last track day because they deformed from so much heat. I thought they were metal, doh!

did you disable XDS? I usually run my car in ESC sport, not totally off at the track.

No issues with the caps falling out yet, I do have 2 piece rotors. I’d imagine eventually I’ll lose one.

I have had my xds set to low since my first track day at Laguna in 2018. So far so good. Sometimes I leave ESC on for the first couple laps for the first two heats. Then I usually go fully off.