GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk 7 vs Focus ST

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I mean you can... just used
From Europe? Not the point anyway. People were comparing buying a Focus ST or Fiesta ST and since they don't make them anymore for the US it's a moot point.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
From Europe? Not the point anyway. People were comparing buying a Focus ST or Fiesta ST and since they don't make them anymore for the US it's a moot point.

Unless they're buying used.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT

I'm saying buy a used FoST of FieST. OP said he was looking at a '17 FoST in his original post. Importing a focus ST would be hilarious!

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
it's a moot point.

The other moot point is this thread because OP appears to have started shopping in 2014 (!), then a year ago says he/she was shopping to buy 4-5 years from that time. He/she is planning to drive his/her 2007 Honda Fit into the ground (nothing wrong with that btw) before maybe getting a used GTI. Unless his/her timetable has moved up quite a bit, then this maybe potential used car purchase is still 3-4 years away and decent chance a lot of us won't even be on this forum anymore...

Some good info and discussion otherwise :)

I really like the GTI and am seriously considering getting a used one 4-5 years from now (2019+ model). However, the reliability concerns are what's holding me back. The car really fits all my requirements- fast, fun to drive, good fuel economy, and large cargo capacity. The other cars that I would consider buying used are:

1. Kia Stinger (but it's not great in gas, and doesn't come with a manual tranny)
2. Honda Civic Type R (but I'm not too keen on the looks).

The Stinger, I suspect, will depreciate quite a bit and will be a good used car buy a few years from now.

I typically drive my cars until the very end of their life span (16 years with my last 2 cars). Will the GTI be more costly to own than the other 2, given the higher possibility of increased repairs/maintenance and potentially shorter life span? Or will the savings in fuel costs outweigh this?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The other moot point is this thread because OP appears to have started shopping in 2014 (!), then a year ago says he/she was shopping to buy 4-5 years from that time. He/she is planning to drive his/her 2007 Honda Fit into the ground (nothing wrong with that btw) before maybe getting a used GTI. Unless his/her timetable has moved up quite a bit, then this maybe potential used car purchase is still 3-4 years away and decent chance a lot of us won't even be on this forum anymore...

Some good info and discussion otherwise :)
He didn't post that in this thread.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Both the FIST and FOST are frequent customers at my local Gapplebees.
Looks like the menu says you’re my appetizer. 😁
No, but seriously if I just wanted a decent DD, I’d get the Focus ST. Almost ok power, and. Decent 6spd trans.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
True. But the only one in this thread that isn't is from Canada.

Still not sure what your point is. I was pointing out that you're factually wrong about the ST not being produced anymore AND the thread is about buying a used FoST or used GTI, so what does it matter if the ST isn't imported to the US anymore?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Still not sure what your point is. I was pointing out that you're factually wrong about the ST not being produced anymore AND the thread is about buying a used FoST or used GTI, so what does it matter if the ST isn't imported to the US anymore?
No point.

Thomas.brian23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
I checked out the Focus ST a few times before I bought my GTI. The VW salesperson from whom I ultimately bought my GTI actually owned an Focus ST which I thought was interesting. Anyway, the Recaro seats in the Focus ST were too confining for me; that alone eliminated the ST from my short list. I also preferred the more understated exterior styling of the GTI.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The VW salesperson from whom I ultimately bought my GTI actually owned an Focus ST which I thought was interesting.
between the 3 dealers in Vegas I’ve visited for service, purchase and parts... you would actually be surprised how the little employees actually own VWs, especially the techs! The employee lots are a mix of other cars.

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
I owned a 2014 Focus ST prior to my 2017 GTI. I had no issues with the Focus, and it was a lot of fun. It took well to a Stage 1 tune, and the clutch can handle the additional torque of a tune without an issue. I'd say the personality of the car in terms of styling and the way it drives is a bit more aggressive than the GTI, whereas the GTI is more refined. The Recaro seats were great for me (6'1", 190 lbs) and were comfortable on long trips. It is quite tail happy which can be fun through the corners. An open front diff and a smaller turbo are the 2 areas that would need attention if really looking to go faster with that platform. Ultimately, an MK7 that has the LSD and DSG would be a better platform for modding if one wants more speed. A thicker rear sway bar on the GTI would also provide some of the tail happiness that comes stock on the ST.