GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm spoiled by engineering grade carbon filled plastics... And in a pinch, 17-4 or tool steel parts.

I get that, but have ever adjusted koni sports? I cast tell you how many adjustment tools over broken over the years.

Teins you could be what you're talking about. Konig? Something will break even if you get it to work initially.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I get that, but have ever adjusted koni sports? I cast tell you how many adjustment tools over broken over the years.

Teins you could be what you're talking about. Konig? Something will break even if you get it to work initially.
I never broke a koni adjustment knob.

sackofcheese

Yeah, it's not legal.

My 2 cents is be open about it. If you want get your feet wet at a National Tour/Pro Solo just go for it. They tend to have a steep learning curve. When you get to the point where you are getting trophies/wins you'll want to be legal.
I'd save the money and put it towards tires and suspension, you'll see bigger benefits there at least for autox. On the street, you'll probably notice the JB4 more. So it depends on how deep you want to prioritize mods. But as others have mentioned, at least nationally the JB4 wouldn't be legal.
What tunes does everyone run on their cars. I want to be class legal, and my warranty has been over for a while now. I was leaning towards a Cobb AP for a stage 1 tune. I know a few people with EQT tunes on the Cobb AP. However they’re all wannabe drag racers that only care about maximum power. Very open to other ideas on which way to go. There is an APR/Eurodyne dealer in my town, and a buddy has an IE powerlink that I can use. I’m getting a surprise Christmas bonus from work and the Minister of Finance (fiancée) said I can use it all on car parts.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
What tunes does everyone run on their cars. I want to be class legal, and my warranty has been over for a while now. I was leaning towards a Cobb AP for a stage 1 tune. I know a few people with EQT tunes on the Cobb AP. However they’re all wannabe drag racers that only care about maximum power. Very open to other ideas on which way to go. There is an APR/Eurodyne dealer in my town, and a buddy has an IE powerlink that I can use. I’m getting a surprise Christmas bonus from work and the Minister of Finance (fiancée) said I can use it all on car parts.
No tune for me. I know in this thread a few people are running various levels of APR

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm on EQT stage 1 91 oct with 93 octane gas. Ran the OTS Cobb stg 1 tune for a little, but it's amazing how much more power the EQT tune has above 4500 rpms.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I'm on EQT stage 1 91 oct with 93 octane gas. Ran the OTS Cobb stg 1 tune for a little, but it's amazing how much more power the EQT tune has above 4500 rpms.
Does EQT post boost by gear? I assume it's not full boost in 2nd, do you happen to know what the increase is over stock? Most companies usually only talk about max power which is great and all, but those numbers are pretty useless (to me at least) when I really only care about increases in 2nd gear.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
No tune for me. I know in this thread a few people are running various levels of APR
What.

You're going to do a clutch when you do the diff right?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Does EQT post boost by gear? I assume it's not full boost in 2nd, do you happen to know what the increase is over stock? Most companies usually only talk about max power which is great and all, but those numbers are pretty useless (to me at least) when I really only care about increases in 2nd gear.

No, but it feels great compared to the Cobb tune. A local guy whom also has a white rabbit and is stage 2 with a clutch caravaned out to the autocross with me and we did a couple runs from 50 on the highway. My car pulled him everytime. He was on EQT stg 2 93 oct. Not sure why, but I'd wager my 3% lower wheel diameter might be why??? Maybe? He was on stock tires, me on RE71R's with ESC off and Cobb TC? Don't know. He wasn't happy about it though.

Don't know really but my car feels pretty quick for just a tune and drop in filter.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Haven't felt like a lack of power has been slowing me down at all.
You are the first person to ever say those words in that order.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
You are the first person to ever say those words in that order.
Haha well I should specify I mean that at least in the context of autox. My whole idea behind my autox build was to build up speed progressively through my mods to become a better driver. I still think there's more speed in the suspension / tires / diff and all that. I was concerned about adding power too early and using that as a crutch to offset poor driving. I also race with a bunch of STS CRXs and I always loved the way they build / maintain speed throughout a course.

Once the clutch and diff are done, a flash tune is easy to add.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My NC Miata would have won both CS and STR class championships in its full CS trim. It was a top 5 pax every event and faster than all the local STR cars. It was dialed after 2 years of development.

I jumped the shark and moved to STR, with a full prep effort, but in the first 6 months, I was being outpaced by CS and well back in STR. I never got the car sorted and ended up selling for a GTI, because a full STR prep Miata is a terrible daily driver. Lol.

Took very little to sort the GTI for GS, with top 5 pax finishes with just tires, rear sway, and zero toe in the rear.

STH seems harder to crack and I'm not doing a full build. Did crack top 10 pax and win class in the last event of the year with an 11 psi split to the rear. I've got to loosen up the rear more and replacing the stock rear pads with something more aggressive solved the massive understeer under braking I was having since moving to the Macan front brakes.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
My NC Miata would have won both CS and STR class championships in its full CS trim. It was a top 5 pax every event and faster than all the local STR cars. It was dialed after 2 years of development.

I jumped the shark and moved to STR, with a full prep effort, but in the first 6 months, I was being outpaced by CS and well back in STR. I never got the car sorted and ended up selling for a GTI, because a full STR prep Miata is a terrible daily driver. Lol.

Took very little to sort the GTI for GS, with top 5 pax finishes with just tires, rear sway, and zero toe in the rear.

STH seems harder to crack and I'm not doing a full build. Did crack top 10 pax and win class in the last event of the year with an 11 psi split to the rear. I've got to loosen up the rear more and replacing the stock rear pads with something more aggressive solved the massive understeer under braking I was having since moving to the Macan front brakes.
I agree on the GS trim GTI vs STH. Opening up the rules leaves more knobs to turn, but that comes at the cost of having to learn what works / doesn't. Street class was great in the fact that it limited everything. I loved the GTI in stock trim and never even went super in depth with alignments or anything (which in hindsight would've made it even more fun/competitive).

I've been trying to challenge the "full build" aspect of the class rules since I started in STH. Doing mods in steps has helped me understand what makes the biggest impact while keeping budget in check. Some people have budget to go from zero to full build in a single season, and I guess I'm sort of taking the time to learn for myself (and with this chassis in particular) what is really necessary for autox. I think I'll end up with what I would consider a full build well before I run out of rules to bump up against + parts to bolt on.