GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

sackofcheese

Slight off topic from suspension but what’s the general consensus on running a JB4 on the car? I currently have one on mine that has never caused an issue locally, but I want to take the car to a national tour event in 2021. Kinda don’t want to shell out the cash for a real flash tune since I like the ability to change maps on the fly. I like to go to the low torque map for autocross since I’m an open diff DSG car, but back to my high torque map for regular street use.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Slight off topic from suspension but what’s the general consensus on running a JB4 on the car? I currently have one on mine that has never caused an issue locally, but I want to take the car to a national tour event in 2021. Kinda don’t want to shell out the cash for a real flash tune since I like the ability to change maps on the fly. I like to go to the low torque map for autocross since I’m an open diff DSG car, but back to my high torque map for regular street use.
The JB4 is a piggy back, correct?

If so, it's not allowed for Street Touring based on year of car.

2006 and newer cannot use the piggy back method.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Yeah, it's not legal.

My 2 cents is be open about it. If you want get your feet wet at a National Tour/Pro Solo just go for it. They tend to have a steep learning curve. When you get to the point where you are getting trophies/wins you'll want to be legal.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I'd save the money and put it towards tires and suspension, you'll see bigger benefits there at least for autox. On the street, you'll probably notice the JB4 more. So it depends on how deep you want to prioritize mods. But as others have mentioned, at least nationally the JB4 wouldn't be legal.

sackofcheese

I'd save the money and put it towards tires and suspension, you'll see bigger benefits there at least for autox. On the street, you'll probably notice the JB4 more. So it depends on how deep you want to prioritize mods. But as others have mentioned, at least nationally the JB4 wouldn't be legal.
I already have Konis, springs, and Camber plates. I was going to pick up some Falken RT660s to mount on my stock wheels this spring. I’ll probably just remove the JB4 for the nationals event then. I doubt I’ll be competitive. The last one I went to in my ES prepped NA Miata I took 2nd to last, only beating my Co-Driver 😂

sackofcheese

Drilling a second access hole helps with that, if you run too much camber to use the adjusters through the hole that's there.
I thought you weren’t allowed to modify the shock tower in Street touring? My setup guru had to finesse mine to make it work without drilling the hole slightly bigger.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I thought you weren’t allowed to modify the shock tower in Street touring? My setup guru had to finesse mine to make it work without drilling the hole slightly bigger.
You can't enlarge the existing hole, but you can add a second hole to access the strut adjustment

bfury5

Autocross Champion
See post 387 below.

Setup update:

Maxed out my camber plates, slotted the top mount holes a touch, and drilled an access hole for the strut adjustment. Got an alignment today, pretty please with where the car sits. I had a ton of front end bite at 2.4° front camber, so 3.0° is just going to be that much better. I didn't touch rear camber because tire wear looks okay so far, but toe might change depending on how the rear end feels next event.

View attachment 179810View attachment 179811

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I did not realize that would be STH legal. Although the plates are non adjustable so I couldn’t really get much more out of them. They came with the springs I bought from a fellow autocrosses that was trading in his MK7 daily driver.
Yeah it's actually in the street class rules, which also apply to street touring so there's a little bit of nuance there. Definitely if the plates are non-adjustable then it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
If you have a friend with a 3d printer, you could make a replacement top that's a gear that interfaces with another gear located on the top hole. I'd design one but don't have any of the necessary components to measure it properly.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you have a friend with a 3d printer, you could make a replacement top that's a gear that interfaces with another gear located on the top hole. I'd design one but don't have any of the necessary components to measure it properly.

To turn the koni adjuster? I don't see that working, koni adjusters aren't easy to turn.