GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many people run an aftermarket downpipe in CA?

Jakeokj

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I bought a mk7 GTI a couple months ago, went stage 1 and am looking to go stage 2. I know I need a downpipe which is obviously illegal in CA and I’m wondering if it’s a common thing for people to do? If so what are the best options for downpipes?

D run

I bought a mk7 GTI a couple months ago, went stage 1 and am looking to go stage 2. I know I need a downpipe which is obviously illegal in CA and I’m wondering if it’s a common thing for people to do? If so what are the best options for downpipes?

Yeah pretty common. Just have to remove it when its time for another smog check. think its 2-3 years. Everyone will have their opinions on best options. mine is from MAP.
Also, the install isnt too bad. I did it by myself (basic mechanic skills. haha) just a thought so you dont pay to have it done .Save you some cash.

Jakeokj

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yeah pretty common. Just have to remove it when its time for another smog check. think its 2-3 years. Everyone will have their opinions on best options. mine is from MAP.
Also, the install isnt too bad. I did it by myself (basic mechanic skills. haha) just a thought so you dont pay to have it done .Save you some cash.
Got it thank you so much! Loving the car

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
Quick question, I don’t know much about tunes but will there be an issue once it’s time to smog to do u just go back to stock tune along with the stock dp?

Jakeokj

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Also does the MAPerformance downpipe smell much? With catt

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

I have a MAP dp as well, and also did the install myself. Easy procedure.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
i also have MAP downpipe and I asked them to make me one that did not have their logo on it so under the hood looks stock to someone who doesn't know what they are looking at like a random smog tech or a cop. when time to smog will just swap stock DP back on and put back on stock tune and stock intake and I've heard running a gallon or two of E85 in the tank helps lower smog emissions too

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
I'm running the CTS 3.5in DP on the Golf 1.8t. I have an IS20 installed, and was wondering if I flash to stock on the IS20 turbo, whats the likelihood of me failing?
My car needs to be smogged in about a year, so I'm not in a rush. I just dont know the science/engineering behind the emissions on a stock tune with the upgraded turbo.

Jakeokj

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'm running the CTS 3.5in DP on the Golf 1.8t. I have an IS20 installed, and was wondering if I flash to stock on the IS20 turbo, whats the likelihood of me failing?
My car needs to be smogged in about a year, so I'm not in a rush. I just dont know the science/engineering behind the emissions on a stock tune with the upgraded turbo.
In CA you cannot upgrade your turbo and still pass smog. I’m not 100% sure about running a stock tune with the upgraded turbo I would assume you would have to turn everything back to stock to pass. Double check though.

Jakeokj

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
i also have MAP downpipe and I asked them to make me one that did not have their logo on it so under the hood looks stock to someone who doesn't know what they are looking at like a random smog tech or a cop. when time to smog will just swap stock DP back on and put back on stock tune and stock intake and I've heard running a gallon or two of E85 in the tank helps lower smog emissions too
Gotcha, I had the same idea with looking stock so I found a downpipe without logos. Wish I got it done by MAP

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
In CA you cannot upgrade your turbo and still pass smog. I’m not 100% sure about running a stock tune with the upgraded turbo I would assume you would have to turn everything back to stock to pass. Double check though.
Is a tech going to check the part numbers on the turbo?

Installed on the car and with the heat shield in place, they look virtually the same.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Is a tech going to check the part numbers on the turbo?

Installed on the car and with the heat shield in place, they look virtually the same.
Biggest issue would be the ODB2 hook up and readiness with the tune. They don't do sniffer smog anymore on newer cars in CA, it's a visual inspection and a readiness check. Currently I think APR has one on the 1.8T for an IS20 swap using the GTI DP, but I don't believe I've read of any IS32 stock DP tunes that will pass readiness on the GTI or 1.8T

Turbo if a OEM version might be okay, DP is questionable as I believe they look for CARB numbers on the DP. Not completely sure on that, with the heatshield in the way and a lazy tech you could get away.