GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Reflex Silver Metallic GTI / Golf Thread

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’ve read those are a bitch to get on and usually destroy some plastic in the process

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I’ve read those are a bitch to get on and usually destroy some plastic in the process

Personally I don't like the idea of using a heat gun to "unglue" the black trim on the sides of the rear glass in order to get the extension installed. Seems overkill.

I'm actually planning on fabricating my own soon. If it turns out well maybe I'll sell em on ebay or something lol.

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’ll buy one. If you get yours painted reflex silver I’ll pay for the cost while yours gets done. 😁

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Hmm might be worth finding out if others are interested as well! We'll see how mine turns out. I was between using a gloss black plastic similar to Aerofabb or aluminum ready for paint match or maybe powder coat black.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I hated the aerofabb diy vids I’ve seen.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Honestly it looks much more intimidating than it actually is. As long as you're gentle you won't have an issue installing it. The instructions they provide are pretty idiot-proof.

I was also a little hesitant about the glue on the fins, but that's not bad either with the right tools and patience. I've used heat to release glue in other applications before this and like anything else it just needs patience. Once you get it soft enough it's butter. VW is a bit overkill on the glue too so when you put the trunk spoiler back on you can sort of re-stick them. Gaps on mine after install were no bigger than before I installed it.

+1 to see your custom one though. Paint matched could be interesting.

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
@uberdot @It's Sam
Here are some pics of what I've got so far. These are bare finish aluminum, plan to either paint match or powder coat. Luckily with the color of the car it almost looks paint matched already so it's easy to get the idea.

I have holes in the outside corners for bolting up to the stock wing. However the stock wing will not need to be removed in order to bolt it up. I plan on using rubber rivet nuts that install from the outside and squeeze on the inside when a bolt is threaded into it. This will both cushion the stock wing from the extension, and provide solid mounting.
Let me know what you think!

Both styles, nicknamed V1 and V2
V1 and V2.jpeg

V1 mounted pics
V1-image0.jpeg

V1-image2.jpeg

V1-image4.jpeg

V1-image6.jpeg

V2 mounted pics
V2-image0.jpeg

V2-image1.jpeg

V2-image3.jpeg

V2-image7.jpeg

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Man, the amount of envy I have for you guys with fabrication setups 😄

V2 looks awesome, and I like how you left the V1 with less of a rounded look, so it sort of matches the roofline more. I love my aerofabb but the one tiny thing that wakes up my anal retentiveness is the way it curves at the sides. The more square look makes it look larger and more like an actual ducktail. And it's aluminum so no more scratches!

I'm curious to see how the powder-coating goes. Paint matched would look cool but something looks off to me about the silver on the rear side against the trunk (though that's personal preference).

Kudos to you, both look sweet!

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Man, the amount of envy I have for you guys with fabrication setups 😄

V2 looks awesome, and I like how you left the V1 with less of a rounded look, so it sort of matches the roofline more. I love my aerofabb but the one tiny thing that wakes up my anal retentiveness is the way it curves at the sides. The more square look makes it look larger and more like an actual ducktail. And it's aluminum so no more scratches!

I'm curious to see how the powder-coating goes. Paint matched would look cool but something looks off to me about the silver on the rear side against the trunk (though that's personal preference).

Kudos to you, both look sweet!

Thanks a ton! I should probably move to posting in the cosmetic mod section. If I can gather enough interest for a short run of parts I can probably see about sending some finished parts out for some R&D 🤔

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I'd probably buy one of those.