GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->)

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Dave just wanted to say thank you. I installed this yesterday which took all of 2 minutes. It’s nothing crazy as most have said but I love the OEM+ upgrades and this is one that just refines an already good car. If you are on the fence I’d say go for it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Will this fit a 2016 MK7 1.4TSI? I'm too lazy to check the subframe =).

The 1.4lt has different outputs & your country might only specify a torsion beam rear axle..so you have to look underneath to see if you have either the multi-link or torsion beam ...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Installed mine a month or two ago. Only a minor improvement unfortunately.

I think other variables like pano roof, estate or hatch, DCC dampers or standard, wheel sizes/tyres also play a part.....but it does at least make a audible difference (however slight) that people can tell..so it is working....& for the cost & ease of installation is a nice mod!

corvinbr

Car(s)
Golf MK7 1.4TSI
Hi golfdave,
I'm from Brasil and found this mod interesting.

In Brasil we had 3 different MK7 (1.4 TSI and GTI) versions: imported from Germany (2013-2014), from Mexico (2015)
and homemade (2016 onwards, including MK7.5 AFAIK until 2019).
VW isn't selling Golfs here since 2019, and I guess we will never have MK8 due to the worsened economy
in last years, and now with COVID-19...

Here in my country Golf is a mid tier car, where everywhere else it is an entry-level car: so parts for it are costly, and this one is really expensive!
I contacted an Audi dealer here in my city and they stated that no Audi dealer in Brasil had this partnumber, so it should be imported (estimated 30 days delivery).
Price? R$1500, which on current dolar-real exchange is something like 250 US dollars or 200 UK pounds.
My solution was to find it used on some wrecked Audi A3 saloon: we got tons of places which sells salvaged cars and parts from wrecked cars.

Luckily I found one yard specialized in imported cars like Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Land Rover and they had 4 of those A3 saloons:
1 was a RS3, so no deal (I almost cried when saw it, really expensive and rare here),
1 had torsion bar (it was manufactured here in Brasil),
last 2 had what interested to me: 1K0 505 563 and its nuts.
Some guy from the wreck yard removed it from the car and it was in perfect state although dirty as expected.

I paid R$300, which is almost the price of a new one overseas: 40 UK pounds or 55 US dollars. I could import a new one, but with taxes it would double the price and take months to receive.

But going to what really interests, and copying your first post:
BR spec, 2015yr model, Mk7 Golf Hatch Highline trim, 1.4lt TSI (140PS) CHPA petrol engine, DQ200 7 speed DSG, multi-link rear suspension.

I did some tests using my phone (Samsung Galaxy S20) with the Bosch iNVH app before and after installing this part on my car.
Used 29PSI tyre pressure, at least half of fuel capacity, airconditioner disabled, no music.
The raw data, graphs and configuration used on iNVH are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tas5l_afh9j7pJyDE5-2mop8dGHN_RqTvyC-1yp1MZY/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: I forgot to put my impressions LOL
I didn't saw any big difference while day to day driving, but in 2 different situations I could say it made difference (less noise): first is a specific street near my mother's home that is made of concrete, now I can listen to music normally instead of just hearing this "booming" coming from everywhere. Before it came mostly from the rear but was really annoying, now most of the boom effect comes from the front. The other situation is when driving through roads where you have those ondulations from the tractioned asphalt by heavy trucks.
Unfortunately I forgot about this concrete street, I would be able to do the testing by modifying my test route plan and including it :( Maybe I will do it again but will need to remove the damper to have an after/before comparison.

Here is an image: below I translated it, I posted it first on the brazilian MK7 forum :p

Translation:
X axis = sample point
Y axis = SPL dB

Galaxy S20 with Bosch iNVH app
1-2, 3 = no damper
4-5, 6-7, 8-9 = with damper

Phone position
3 = only front passenger (I did this measure right before installing the damper)
1-2, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9 = front passenger - rear left

Speeds - varies by route section
1, 3, 4 = "controlled" speed but with some traffic (afternoon)
2, 5, 8-9 = "controlled" speed, no traffic (night) except by some trucks/traffic lights
6-7 = I did it 7 right after finishing 6, higher average speed, no traffic (night) except by some trucks/traffic lights

Test route included in this order:
Neighborhood streets (30km/h) with good/bad asphalt (0%-5%)
Avenues (70km/h) with good/bad asphalt (5%-10%)
Highway (80km/h) with good asphalt but varying between smooth and rough surface (10%-40%)
Neighborhood streets (30-60km/h) with good/bad asphalt (40%-45%)
Highway (80km/h) with good asphalt but varying between smooth and rough surface (45%-70%)
Neighborhood streets (30-60km/h) with good/bad asphalt and speed bumps (70%-90%)
Neighborhood streets (30-60km/h) with mixed bad asphalt and paving stone (90%-100%)

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi golfdave,
I'm from Brasil and found this mod interesting.

Here in my country Golf is a mid tier car, where everywhere else it is an entry-level car: so parts for it are costly, and this one is really expensive!
I contacted an Audi dealer here in my city and they stated that no Audi dealer in Brasil had this partnumber, so it should be imported (estimated 30 days delivery).
Price? R$1500, which on current dolar-real exchange is something like 250 US dollars or 200 UK pounds.
My solution was to find it used on some wrecked Audi A3 saloon: we got tons of places which sells salvaged cars and parts from wrecked cars.

Luckily I found one yard specialized in imported cars like Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Land Rover and they had 4 of those A3 saloons:

Some guy from the wreck yard removed it from the car and it was in perfect state although dirty as expected.

I paid R$300, which is almost the price of a new one overseas: 40 UK pounds or 55 US dollars. I could import a new one, but with taxes it would double the price and take months to receive.

I did some tests using my phone (Samsung Galaxy S20) with the Bosch iNVH app before and after installing this part on my car.
Used 29PSI tyre pressure, at least half of fuel capacity, airconditioner disabled, no music.
The raw data, graphs and configuration used on iNVH are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tas5l_afh9j7pJyDE5-2mop8dGHN_RqTvyC-1yp1MZY/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: I forgot to put my impressions LOL
I didn't saw any big difference while day to day driving, but in 2 different situations I could say it made difference (less noise): first is a specific street near my mother's home that is made of concrete, now I can listen to music normally instead of just hearing this "booming" coming from everywhere. Before it came mostly from the rear but was really annoying, now most of the boom effect comes from the front. The other situation is when driving through roads where you have those ondulations from the tractioned asphalt by heavy trucks.
Unfortunately I forgot about this concrete street, I would be able to do the testing by modifying my test route plan and including it :( Maybe I will do it again but will need to remove the damper to have an after/before comparison.

Here is an image: below I translated it, I posted it first on the brazilian MK7 forum :p

Translation:
X axis = sample point
Y axis = SPL dB

Galaxy S20 with Bosch iNVH app
1-2, 3 = no damper
4-5, 6-7, 8-9 = with damper

Phone position
3 = only front passenger (I did this measure right before installing the damper)
1-2, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9 = front passenger - rear left

Speeds - varies by route section
1, 3, 4 = "controlled" speed but with some traffic (afternoon)
2, 5, 8-9 = "controlled" speed, no traffic (night) except by some trucks/traffic lights
6-7 = I did it 7 right after finishing 6, higher average speed, no traffic (night) except by some trucks/traffic lights

Test route included in this order:
Neighborhood streets (30km/h) with good/bad asphalt (0%-5%)
Avenues (70km/h) with good/bad asphalt (5%-10%)
Highway (80km/h) with good asphalt but varying between smooth and rough surface (10%-40%)
Neighborhood streets (30-60km/h) with good/bad asphalt (40%-45%)
Highway (80km/h) with good asphalt but varying between smooth and rough surface (45%-70%)
Neighborhood streets (30-60km/h) with good/bad asphalt and speed bumps (70%-90%)
Neighborhood streets (30-60km/h) with mixed bad asphalt and paving stone (90%-100%)

Many thanks for the data!...

Looking at your "test" condition graphs 1 & 4 are the most similar in test conditions to real life , just 1 is without & 4 is with the damper. Quite a bit of of the "spikes" have been reduced & "smoothed" out by using the damper! Also there is a much bigger & prolonged drop in SPL dB around the 750 -800 frequency with the damper fitted...!!

Scrap yards are sometimes a good source for parts especially if you can find them in very good condition as you managed to looking at the pictures!

I think size of wheel & tyre, if you have panoramic sunroof or not, if you have DCC or standard dampers, & if you have the estate or hatch also makes a difference to the amount of noise transmitted to the bodyshell & how the body shell vibrates. But at least you can hear a difference & the graphs prove that!!

Last edited:

corvinbr

Car(s)
Golf MK7 1.4TSI
Many thanks for the data!...

Looking at your "test" condition graphs 1 & 4 are the most similar in test conditions to real life , just 1 is without & 4 is with the damper. Quite a bit of of the "spikes" have been reduced & "smoothed" out by using the damper! Also there is a much bigger & prolonged drop in SPL dB around the 750 -800 frequency with the damper fitted...!!

Scrap yards are sometimes a good source for parts especially if you can find them in very good condition as you managed to looking at the pictures!

I think size of wheel & tyre, if you have panoramic sunroof or not, if you have DCC or standard dampers, & if you have the estate or hatch also makes a difference to the amount of noise transmitted to the bodyshell & how the body shell vibrates. But at least you can hear a difference & the graphs prove that!!

It is a time axis, not a frequency one :) graph 6-7 have less sample points because I drove faster, that's why I've repeated it (8-9).
This iNVH app has FFT analysis but it is an in-app purchase.

And about the other car characteristics, I've got stock 17' Geneva with Michelin Primacy 4, with sunroof and standard dampers. Here if you tell about DCC to a dealer they would look at you and say "WHAT?", and to be honest I never thought VW would made this type of thing available to its cars instead of only Audi/Bentley/etc.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
It is a time axis, not a frequency one :) graph 6-7 have less sample points because I drove faster, that's why I've repeated it (8-9).
This iNVH app has FFT analysis but it is an in-app purchase.

And about the other car characteristics, I've got stock 17' Geneva with Michelin Primacy 4, with sunroof and standard dampers. Here if you tell about DCC to a dealer they would look at you and say "WHAT?", and to be honest I never thought VW would made this type of thing available to its cars instead of only Audi/Bentley/etc.

Ah time ...so in simple terms how many minutes/sample points into the drive...so if you had GPS tracked it you could say that at "X" point on the road the SPL dB level was "Y"......

You say you did graph 1 in afternoon without damper...to to be fair the "with damper" should also be done in the afternoon to pick up any other external noise...which is why I chose your graph 4 as the "with damper"..

On my car I sold those stock alloys immediately & replaced with those same tyres as you, but the previous generation (3)...however my new alloys are lighter ...the tyre/alloy combination per corner is 2.2kg lighter than the factory fit Geneva's & the Bridgestone's it came with....this makes a huge difference in the way the wheel travels through potholes etc...

I don't have the pano sunroof, but do have an estate, & do have standard suspension...

I wish I had ordered mine with the DCC because that option comes with the 312mm brakes & the aluminium hub carrier also.....but neither the Dealer, or VW UK sales knew about it those additional parts at the time I ordered my car (July 2014)....they were under the impression it was just DCC dampers...

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Took me longer to put my car on jack stands than it was to install this harmonic damper. It has quieted down the rear end a bit, but it's much more noticeable over rough roads. I'm also surprised that it even toned down my exhaust a little. Well worth the time and money spent on this mod!

I am pleased to read it had benefits for you. The benefit for me was very noticeable especially over rough road surfaces. Since fitting the damper I have fitted more sound insulation under the rear seat and under the spare wheel area and this really has made a marked improvement in cabin sound levels, particularly from fitting Dodo mat under the rear seat. I used Dodo Mat Pro Barrier MLV Sound Proofing Sheet in both areas and this was on top of previously fitting Dynamat a year or so ago. I also fitted Dynamat or similar ( I cant recall which) under all wheel arches and throughout the boot/spare wheel area. Really since fitting the damper and the addition of the Dodo mat I have a very quiet interior indeed. I don't think I could improve on that unless having the vehicle soundproofed professionally. In my view, taking the time to fit these products really does have benefits.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I am pleased to read it had benefits for you. The benefit for me was very noticeable especially over rough road surfaces. Since fitting the damper I have fitted more sound insulation under the rear seat and under the spare wheel area and this really has made a marked improvement in cabin sound levels, particularly from fitting Dodo mat under the rear seat. I used Dodo Mat Pro Barrier MLV Sound Proofing Sheet in both areas and this was on top of previously fitting Dynamat a year or so ago. I also fitted Dynamat or similar ( I cant recall which) under all wheel arches and throughout the boot/spare wheel area. Really since fitting the damper and the addition of the Dodo mat I have a very quiet interior indeed. I don't think I could improve on that unless having the vehicle soundproofed professionally. In my view, taking the time to fit these products really does have benefits.

Can you link to the mat you used for the rear seat?

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Those with GTI's its probably not noticeable of an upgrade. Perhaps on stock golf's it makes a bigger difference.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Those with GTI's its probably not noticeable of an upgrade. Perhaps on stock golf's it makes a bigger difference.

In my case with a 2018 MK7.5GTI it really did make a noticeable difference. My wife was unaware I had fitted the damper and on a run a a few days later she made a comment that the car sounded quieter as she had always been critical of the cabin noise. The transition from one surface to another, particularly when going from smooth to coarse was very noticeable as the booming resonance was far less obvious. Considering the relatively small cost involve its worth fitting.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Can you link to the mat you used for the rear seat?

Here is the link I see its out of stock at Amazon UK and at DoDo Mat UK but they may have an alternative or perhaps are waiting on new stock. With the dynamat already fitted and now adding the thick dodomat it was a bit tight clipping the seat back in position but by carefully cutting the mat around the seatbelt anchor points etc it does eventually clip back into place.