GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR or Boost Dynamics Tune?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yea. The conservative timing doesn't seem to hurt anything. Still hits hard when boost hits.
The issue is that you leave power on the table for a perceived safety factor that I don't believe is necessary on these tunes. Need to see some logs of the 87 tune on 87 and then on 93, maybe it gives you some more advance if you run 91/93 or a little E?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The issue is that you leave power on the table for a perceived safety factor that I don't believe is necessary on these tunes. Need to see some logs of the 87 tune on 87 and then on 93, maybe it gives you some more advance if you run 91/93 or a little E?

I’m sure it would run more advance if you ran higher octane. I run 89 on my 87 tune just because that’s my philosophy (tune for 2 octane below what you plan to run). Timing advance all day, essentially never experiencing pull. Also helps keep pull at bay in summer.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

I'd have to see dyno differences of boost vs timing if the turbo is run within it's efficiency range. I really don't know if there is actually a difference if you run 3 degrees less timing if you're running 2 psi more boost.