GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
FCP backorder had me worried about that option.

I just ordered some from Rockauto last week. $146 shipped

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I can’t seem to find information online regarding the relative performance difference between the R7437-9 (4654) and R7438-9 (4656).

There isn't... NGK basically has zero marketing info for their racing plugs. They don't even try to convince you how their racing plugs are worth $35 lol.

the 7s are a traditional projected tip vs 8s which are recessed / non projected. You see the non projected style used for true race plugs or high heat applications like big nitrous shots etc. They are great to reduce the chance of pre ignition and overheating, but like everything in life there are tradeoffs..... they will probably foul up faster, not as efficient combustion in normal driving/cold starts etc. So in my mind, I went with the 7s for a daily driver/stock block setup. Once you start to push it so far you have to accept more and more tradeoffs, but I think for typical 400-500 hp build, no reason the 7s won't be just fine. Lots of guys in the 500-600 range running them too. If I was going to track the car regularly I would probably get the 8s... my 2 cents.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There isn't... NGK basically has zero marketing info for their racing plugs. They don't even try to convince you how their racing plugs are worth $35 lol.

the 7s are a traditional projected tip vs 8s which are recessed / non projected. You see the non projected style used for true race plugs or high heat applications like big nitrous shots etc. They are great to reduce the chance of pre ignition and overheating, but like everything in life there are tradeoffs..... they will probably foul up faster, not as efficient combustion in normal driving/cold starts etc. So in my mind, I went with the 7s for a daily driver/stock block setup. Once you start to push it so far you have to accept more and more tradeoffs, but I think for typical 400-500 hp build, no reason the 7s won't be just fine. Lots of guys in the 500-600 range running them too. If I was going to track the car regularly I would probably get the 8s... my 2 cents.

I agree. I currently have the 8's and can't tell any difference from the 7's except that I can buy 4 sets of the 7's for what the 8's cost. Needless to say I'll be going back to the 7's.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I think you may be confused on which 7s he’s speaking about, Jim.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
These are both the NGK Racing plugs priced ~$35-40/plug. R7437-9 & R7438-9

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Plus Rock Auto charges for shipping. Napa usually has them in stock for the same price. FCP least expensive in the long run. Still don't get how FCP can afford that.

Think of how many sales are generated specifically due to their warranty. Just think of the people here alone, buying IS38's from them due to the warranty. Which most don't need to get used. And how many people buy plugs or brake pads from them so they have the warranty, then end up getting rid of the car before they even need to use the warranty?

The promise of a no hassle lifetime warranty (that goes unused) probably generates more in sales for them than they lose due to occasionally swapping a consumable part from warranty.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
You are correct. I was thinking of the stock plugs. So the two racing plugs mentioned are just different heat range?
Same heat range. Read Aaron’s post again

MQBS3

Car(s)
Audi S3
I've had the new non projected tip NGK iridium plugs for a few thousand miles now and they are working great so far
So the R7438-9’s? These or the equivalent Denso IKH-0127 are what EQT advised I run. For reference, this is my daily that I drive about 10k miles/yr.

aedwin191

Passed Driver's Ed
Figured I would bump this thread instead of making a new one. I'm a long time reader of the forums but an infrequent poster. I'm looking to get the Vortex and install it this summer, and I would appreciate some advice from current owners based on their experiences. As of now, my car is roughly at 92k miles, and I am looking to drive it until it decides to quit (hopefully somewhere at or beyond 150k). Therefore, for me, reliability is a priority and I want to take that into consideration when upgrading to a bigger turbo setup. Nonetheless, I definitely would prefer the Vortex over an IS38 upgrade per GTI Jake's video comparing the two. Also, as a college student, cost is another big factor, so what would y'all recommend of the fueling setup I should run to maximize power, reliability, and cost? And what kind of power would you expect to see from that setup? I appreciate y'all letting me tap into your wealth of knowledge.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
You can run stock fueling and achieve around 360 whp all the way until redline - form my understanding.