GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flashing Glowplug light, lack of power, now dead 2.0TDi 150

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Driving to work this morning I got a flashing GP lamp and lack of power, what feels like a misfire (more like a rev-limiter) above 2500rpm.

At the same time and Error popped up on the MFD saying Start-Stop system error.

I did notice that it happened immediately after the SS became active, about 7 miles away from home, because the status screen was up on the infotainment unit.

Fault persisted after turning the engine off/on.

Unfortunately I'm at work so unable to plug in a code reader, can anyone shed a glimmer of light on a likely culprit?

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Ok, so I managed to get VCDS plugged in and the codes are pointing to fuel pump issues, before clearing codes and trying to start again I had;

5211 P0087 - fuel rail system pressure - too low
5212 P0087 - fuel rail system pressure - too low
5231 P0087 - fuel rail system pressure - too low
10058 P3045 - Fuel pump - electronics defective
10062 P3044 - Fuel pump - short circuit.

After clearing I only have the last 2 codes relating to fuel pump and the engine will still not start, it occasionally splutters and tries to fire but fails every time.

Any advice on this is welcomed as I am at work until 6.30pm and I have normal socket sets, hand tools, multimeter etc available.

The only other thing I've tried is to check the connector and what wire I could see on the HPFP top front of the engine, and also ran output test on the LPFP in the fuel tank, which I could hear chuntering away - not a continuous noise but more like 'bump-bump-bump-bump' from under the back seat.

Regards, Dave.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Driving to work this morning I got a flashing GP lamp and lack of power, what feels like a misfire (more like a rev-limiter) above 2500rpm.

At the same time and Error popped up on the MFD saying Start-Stop system error.

I did notice that it happened immediately after the SS became active, about 7 miles away from home, because the status screen was up on the infotainment unit.

Fault persisted after turning the engine off/on.

Unfortunately I'm at work so unable to plug in a code reader, can anyone shed a glimmer of light on a likely culprit?
Your lack of power was just limp mode.

I seem to recall that fuel pump failure is common, but that's just my (often poor) memory!

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Your lack of power was just limp mode.

I seem to recall that fuel pump failure is common, but that's just my (often poor) memory!

That's what I was thinking regarding the limp mode, however now the car is a complete non-starter and stuck in the work's car park :-/

There was the occasional cough, especially after I ran the output test on the LPFP, but definitely no start.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
That's what I was thinking regarding the limp mode, however now the car is a complete non-starter and stuck in the work's car park :-/

There was the occasional cough, especially after I ran the output test on the LPFP, but definitely no start.
That sucks. Do you have breakdown cover?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Since you’ve got a diesel, it’s likely the CP4 went. If you can, get it replaced with a CP3. Apparently a much more reliable pump

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Since you’ve got a diesel, it’s likely the CP4 went. If you can, get it replaced with a CP3. Apparently a much more reliable pump
I'm happy and capable to DIY, is the CP3 a commonly available upgrade, and is it a straight swap? I've had a poke around on the net and I can see a lot of talk of 'conversion's rather than replacement.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I'm happy and capable to DIY, is the CP3 a commonly available upgrade, and is it a straight swap? I've had a poke around on the net and I can see a lot of talk of 'conversion's rather than replacement.

Honestly - TDIClub is a better forum for VW diesel questions than GolfMK7. This forum is very gasoline oriented, few people drive diesels on here. Most of us have Golf/GTI/R.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Got this fixed today after being carted home by the AA.

Turns out it was the Fuel pump controller, although I have replaced both it and the pump/sender unit with items from a scrap car.

Original controller part number was 5Q0 906 121G, replaced with a 5Q0 906 121P. Simple plug and play replacement.

I did a LOT of analysis of the controller, pump etc using my oscilloscope and multimeter, took some photo's and video to show to others what to look for in the future. I'll compile the details into a how-to type thing, is it worth posting in here or a new thread?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yea, I'm covered by AA, provided they aren't going to be arsey about distance as it's 11 miles pretty much door to door.
Got this fixed today after being carted home by the AA.

Turns out it was the Fuel pump controller, although I have replaced both it and the pump/sender unit with items from a scrap car.

Original controller part number was 5Q0 906 121G, replaced with a 5Q0 906 121P. Simple plug and play replacement.

I did a LOT of analysis of the controller, pump etc using my oscilloscope and multimeter, took some photo's and video to show to others what to look for in the future. I'll compile the details into a how-to type thing, is it worth posting in here or a new thread?
New thread in the DIY Guides section, but link to it here for continuity and future Googlers