GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mystery sound behind dash at startup.

Golftropy

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hi y’all,
2015 GTI , 63k: on startup has this funny squealing/groaning noise for a few seconds, thegoes away. Doesn’t occur at every startup.
Here’s a video of the sound:

Thanks!

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just sounds like maybe the fuel pump priming. Try it with your hood open and you or someone else listen from there.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'll bet a blend or other door. Try to listen for where behind the dash it is. Do you have the A/C turned on? If so, shut it off and see if it does it.

Last edited:

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
That definitely sounds like an environmental diverter and not the fuel pump. That primes when I open the door of my R and you should hear it when you open the door too.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That definitely sounds like an environmental diverter and not the fuel pump. That primes when I open the door of my R and you should hear it when you open the door too.

What's an environmental diverter?

Golftropy

Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm guessing by "environmental diverter" and "blend," what is meant here is part of the ventilation system (a flap) that diverts air to the vents that opens at every start-up. It does make the sound with AC off. I should try it with every variation of fan speed & temperature...
The sound comes from behind the vents (as in video), so that makes more sense than the fuel pump.