GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Manufacturers claims for the wheels and rotors. I went from stock 18 " wheels to 17". I don't know what the OEM tires weighed. That was 5 sets of tires ago. I rarely use launch control because I don't want to excessively abuse the car considering how I use my car but the few times I did it launched fine with decent tread on the tires.
My car does bog a little off the line but EQT would need to fix that. I'm not going to do whatever logging would be necessary to address the bog. When the tire tread is under 5/32 " tread I get some tire screeching when it shifts to 2nd gear and the traction light comes on in the upper RPM range of each gear.

What size and model tire are you using now?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
225x45x17 Michelin PSAS 4

I'm pretty sure you're using spacers too, right? IIRC, your wheels didn't clear the PP brakes with new pads.

If yours came with the stock Bridgestone, your current tires are about 1 lbs heavier based on manufacture specs, but again, without weighting, it's hard to know. I never trust manufacturers claims. I've seen many times over the years where manufactures will use a claimed wheel weight for multiple sizes and your actual wheel can be 2 or 3 pounds more.

Without actually weighing your wheel tire packages before and after, including any spacers or extended lugs, it's hard to know say if you actuality lost 15lbs per corner.

It's also interesting that your AS 225 width tires launch better than 245 RE71R's, though I only launch at autocrosses, and our primary site is really old asphalt, so it's certainly possible, but it's also possible you aren't really launching the car that hard.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm pretty sure you're using spacers too, right? IIRC, your wheels didn't clear the PP brakes with new pads.

If yours came with the stock Bridgestone, your current tires are about 1 lbs heavier based on manufacture specs, but again, without weighting, it's hard to know. I never trust manufacturers claims. I've seen many times over the years where manufactures will use a claimed wheel weight for multiple sizes and your actual wheel can be 2 or 3 pounds more.

Without actually weighing your wheel tire packages before and after, including any spacers or extended lugs, it's hard to know say if you actuality lost 15lbs per corner.

It's also interesting that your AS 225 width tires launch better than 245 RE71R's, though I only launch at autocrosses, and our primary site is really old asphalt, so it's certainly possible, but it's also possible you aren't really launching the car that hard.

The spacers are plastic and the weight of them is neglible. No I already said that I don't launch it hard. It's too abusive. Do you have the locking diff and what trans?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The spacers are plastic and the weight of them is neglible. No I already said that I don't launch it hard. It's too abusive. Do you have the locking diff and what trans?

I already said I have VAQ. I have a manual.

Plastic spacers? WTF. Why?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Why not plastic spacers? They've been fine for 100K miles.

What do you mean why not? Pressure and heat. That's why.

Are you sure you aren't talking about hub rings? I've never seen plastic wheel spacers. Do you have a link to the ones you're using?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Are you sure you aren't talking about hub rings? I've never seen plastic wheel spacers. Do you have a link to the ones you're using?

Yes my bad. I meant rings. 😱

cb1111

I'm sure he was talking about hub rings. You know, the spacers that adjust the space between the size of the bore and the size of the hub. :p

Is there even such a thing as a plastic spacer? Aside from the spacers on the Barbie Dream Corvette?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm sure he was talking about hub rings. You know, the spacers that adjust the space between the size of the bore and the size of the hub. :p

Is there even such a thing as a plastic spacer? Aside from the spacers on the Barbie Dream Corvette?

Read the post right before yours.