GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

oil change sign and weird noise from engine after turn off

mohan

Car(s)
2020 GTI
Hi, I have a question. i have a 2020 golf gti with 2900 kms on it (it was a demo car with 498 kms on it when i bought it). It already shows oil change sign on and it also makes weird noise (like some fan running) from the engine after turn off. The noise continues till 15-20mins after turn off. Is it a major concern? I have an appointment with dealer next week.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Check your manufacturing date in the driver door jam where the VIN is located. It might be over a year and the obc is telling you to change the oil based on time.

Fan can continue running for a few minutes if the last part of your drive was slow and radiator not getting enough air.. not sure about 15-20min though.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
You'll get a notice to change the oil at least once a year or 15k miles, whichever comes first. As for the fan, that's completely normal. There are multiple sounds that come from the engine bay after turning the car off. The fan will run and so will a coolant pump to help things cool down. Completely normal

mohan

Car(s)
2020 GTI
Check your manufacturing date in the driver door jam where the VIN is located. It might be over a year and the obc is telling you to change the oil based on time.

Fan can continue running for a few minutes if the last part of your drive was slow and radiator not getting enough air.. not sure about 15-20min though.
Thank you guys, so fan running thing is normal.

mohan

Car(s)
2020 GTI
sorry one more question, its been 2 months now i bought this car but the noise is coming only since last week and coincidence is oil change sign also is from last week.

mohan

Car(s)
2020 GTI
I thought of getting it tunes after 10k kms but i guess i will now wait at least 2-3 years. dont want to void the warranty

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
sorry one more question, its been 2 months now i bought this car but the noise is coming only since last week and coincidence is oil change sign also is from last week.

Have you checked the oil and coolant levels? If they are at normal levels I would not worry. If the fan turned on immediately after starting a cold car, then you probably have a fault somewhere. MonkeyMD had something replaced for that condition.

You can install a JB1/JB4 and remove it completely if warranty is an issue.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
oil change is as others mentioned time based....I'm old school and would change it. These cars do make lots of noises when off, time yours it cause 15 minutes seems too long for the cooling fan to run.

idk on 2020 but 2017 oil is 10 months/10K miles

+1 on checking fluids

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thank you guys, so fan running thing is normal.

Fan running after shutdown is normal but like a few other guys said not for 20 minutes. More like 1-2 minutes. Sometimes it won't run at all after shutdown. It just depends on the ambient temperature.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
I gotten used to the fan running after I turn off the car. I dont think runs for 15 minutes though.

Not to hijack the thread but I also hear like solenoid or stepping motor sounds from the hood shortly after I open and close a door with the car off. Only car I've owned that makes these sounds.. hope it's ok.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I gotten used to the fan running after I turn off the car. I dont think runs for 15 minutes though.

Not to hijack the thread but I also hear like solenoid or stepping motor sounds from the hood shortly after I open and close a door with the car off. Only car I've owned that makes these sounds.. hope it's ok.
It's fine.

cospringsalltrack

Car(s)
2017 Alltrack DSG

I'd assume that's a fuel pump getting ready. many cars now a days have the fuel pump prime itself when the door opens