GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my tuned GTI suffered a catastrophic engine failure...

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Good stuff, as others said prob the best option, good outcome. For the time I'd leave your new car the freak alone. At least for now :cool:. But - if you absoluetly, postively must change stuff, and it sounds like you might, then don't tell the wife ;)....

Honesty is the best policy.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'd say stay away from any tunes, even APR+, even though there is warranty why hassle yourself with the repair process, lost time, loss of value etc. Pay it off and enjoy it (debt sucks).

Pay it off with 500 hp, best of both wolds.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
What is with that 20k bid from your dealer though? I literally just saw The tech at my vw dealer Change out a engine from 2018 golf R that money shifted it to 11,000 rpm and the guys bill was like $11,500. And that was for an “R” motor with an is38.
Findlay VW? (for future reference, lol)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm so lucky to live in an area with at least 3 reputable VW indy shops that would have honed that and put in a new piston and rings for me. It's crazy how engines are just thrown away now a days.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Congrats on the solution. My advice, no tunes for 6 years and enjoy the best warranty possible from the OEM. For those who don’t know, CPO VW‘s for 2018 and 2019 have 1 year and 12000 miles added to the original 6y/72000 bumper to bumper.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Honesty is the best policy.
Just don't tell wifey straight way; "it's your imagination dear, this car just a happens to naturally be a bit quicker than the last one". But sarcy humour aside; best to be upfront, women can always tell. Speaking from experience, my partner and I just celebrated 29 years of being happily unmarried, apparently the first 100 are the worst, but so far so good. No real trick to it: neither she nor me fancied marriage, we don't keep stuff from each other, or tell each other what to do and though we don't always agree on everything we meet in the middle, compromise and then move on. Not for everyone but seems to work for us. So endeth the Gene Genie relationship advice page ;)....

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
advice from old guy....Don't PO the wife

edit: 32 or so years ❤ for us
Words of wisdom! We're coming up on 29 years in a couple of months... ;)

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
No..the car will stay factory for a while. My wife will kill me if I tune it again. Not too familiar with JB4, but I remember it having to send wire through the firewall. That would make it quite evident?

If you don’t have a 3 pedal car there’s a grommet for the 3rd pedal that is super easy to get in and out and you can easily pass through there.
If you do have a 3 pedal car there’s another small grommet you can poke through to pass the wires. Not quite as easy as the grommet for the 3rd pedal but entirely doable.

morgan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Congrats on the solution. My advice, no tunes for 6 years and enjoy the best warranty possible from the OEM. For those who don’t know, CPO VW‘s for 2018 and 2019 have 1 year and 12000 miles added to the original 6y/72000 bumper to bumper.
Yes..I didn't even looked at the 2020 cars on the lot. VW shortened the 2020 warranty to 4y/50K miles. I asked the salesperson why. He said the long warranty was a gesture of apology to the public over the Dieselgate and an attempt to rebuild the customers' trust in the brand. But data shows not many customers come back to the dealership because of the "extended" warranty. So VW decided to can it and spend the $$$ elsewhere that is more effective.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Married 38 years this month. Have had more than that number of cars since 1982. She’s a saint.