GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my tuned GTI suffered a catastrophic engine failure...

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
You still butt hurt because you can't back up your claim about the dealer being able to detect the green dye in used 0w-20 oil? Don't be so sensitive.

And pad post count? 🤣🤣🤣 Do you think you win a prize for more posts or something? Come on dude, you just need to chill.
Advice to another member. Move along.

morgan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Chapter closed. Traded in for $9.5K and picked up a CPO 2019 GTI SE with SE Experience Pkg that has 12K miles. No more software tune (well..maybe APR Plus which has its own warranty to replace the factory's). The remaining VW warranty will last me through 2026 or 84000 miles. The car also comes with a limited lifetime warranty on the powertrain at no charge from the dealer (Covid is really hurting the car business.) My final loss is $6300.

Didn't go with the repair route because:
  • It cost more to replace the long block in Seattle. ~$3000+tax labor and parts. Engine would be $3750+tax. Tax is 10% here.
  • It cost more to repair the engine. Nobody close to me does this job. Only one machine shop I contacted gave me a number for amusement - over $6000, and said he really didn't want to do it.
This is my third Golf/GTI. The 2016 Golf got totaled when a friend drove it and crashed. The 2016 GTI suffered the engine damage due to the stage 1 tune. Now the 2019 GTI, with a buttload of debt since day one.
d1441ef919ed5d1a90ac2678c96b662d.jpg

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Chapter closed. Traded in for $9.5K and picked up a CPO 2019 GTI SE with SE Experience Pkg that has 12K miles. No more software tune (well..maybe APR Plus which has its own warranty to replace the factory's). The remaining VW warranty will last me through 2026 or 84000 miles. The car also comes with a limited lifetime warranty on the powertrain at no charge from the dealer (Covid is really hurting the car business.) My final loss is $6300.

Didn't go with the repair route because:
  • It cost more to replace the long block in Seattle. ~$3000+tax labor and parts. Engine would be $3750+tax. Tax is 10% here.
  • It cost more to repair the engine. Nobody close to me does this job. Only one machine shop I contacted gave me a number for amusement - over $6000, and said he really didn't want to do it.
This is my third Golf/GTI. The 2016 Golf got totaled when a friend drove it and crashed. The 2016 GTI suffered the engine damage due to the stage 1 tune. Now the 2019 GTI, with a buttload of debt since day one.

That was probably the best call to make. Like you said, you would have spent at least $6k fixing it anyway. Eating the $6k sucks, but at least you're back in a working (and newer!) car, and can just wash your hands of it. Sounds like it's time for a JB4 though!

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
No more software tune (well..maybe APR Plus which has its own warranty to replace the factory's).

After this whole ordeal...I figured you would stay far away from a flash tune. The APR+ has a number of stipulations where if you don't adhere to them...that warranty is out the window too. I'd probably just put on a JB4 and call it a day.

morgan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
After this whole ordeal...I figured you would stay far away from a flash tune. The APR+ has a number of stipulations where if you don't adhere to them...that warranty is out the window too. I'd probably just put on a JB4 and call it a day.
No..the car will stay factory for a while. My wife will kill me if I tune it again. Not too familiar with JB4, but I remember it having to send wire through the firewall. That would make it quite evident?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
No..the car will stay factory for a while. My wife will kill me if I tune it again. Not too familiar with JB4, but I remember it having to send wire through the firewall. That would make it quite evident?

You can always remove it. Nothing is stored in the ECU and the factory safety protocols are all intact. I can remove my JB4 in 10 minutes. The cable that runs through the firewall can be disconnected and tucked away.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Good stuff, as others said prob the best option, good outcome. For the time I'd leave your new car the freak alone. At least for now :cool:. But - if you absoluetly, postively must change stuff, and it sounds like you might, then don't tell the wife ;)....

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I wouldn't APR+ it, the warranty isn't thru VW, it's thru APR and who knows what they'd do? Yes, the JB4 puts a wire thru the firewall but that's not a big deal. For instance my boost gauge puts a wire thru the firewall...

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I'd say stay away from any tunes, even APR+, even though there is warranty why hassle yourself with the repair process, lost time, loss of value etc. Pay it off and enjoy it (debt sucks).