GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
So, weirdest Clubsport ever...

IMG_1763 (Edited).JPG

IMG_1768 (Edited).JPG

IMG_1775(1).JPG

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Looks like you got a sweet daily now, going full circle. 😃
It would make a great daily! I think I'm going to sell it though and keep the Mk4 as a daily. And I realllllly want to turbo the Mk4. (issa VR6)

I'm kind of fighting on what I want to do. I think it really depends on if I can sell the Mk7 for a decent price or not.

Mk4 smokes and burns oil, needs a light rebuild I think. The head is all new, I'm sure the rings are bad. That's a fairly easy thing to fix though.. it's much easier to work on than the Mk7. figured I'd slap a turbo on while I'm at it 😂

Last edited:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
It would make a great daily! I think I'm going to sell it though and keep the Mk4 as a daily. And I realllllly want to turbo the Mk4. (issa VR6)

I'm kind of fighting on what I want to do. I think it really depends on if I can sell the Mk7 for a decent price or not.

Mk4 smokes and burns oil, needs a light rebuild I think. The head is all new, I'm sure the rings are bad. That's a fairly easy thing to fix though.. it's much easier to work on than the Mk7. figured I'd slap a turbo on while I'm at it 😂

VR6 turbo is awesome and makes me think of this old clip 😁

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Got my exhaust all put together today. CircuitWerks V2 turbo-back, with Vibrant res attached to the downpipe. It's pretty quiet cruising now but still rowdy when you get on it. Nice.

IMG_1797 (Edited).JPG

GTI also gave me one last (hopefully) "fuck you" today... I had a friend and his bro help me put the suspension and brakes on one evening. Well.. his bro forgot to tighten the caliper carrier bolts down on the rear-left caliper, and we forgot to double check him. On the way to the muffler shop, the bottom bolt totally fell out, and the top bolt was loose. I started hearing a whirring noise that worsened with brakes.. when I came to a stop, and would start moving again, the caliper would drop onto the rotor... it would completely lock up the wheel and drag the tire until you got going enough to get the caliper to skid along the edge of the rotor. It's amazing I made it to the shop.

They were awesome, and rigged me up a bolt and nut on the other hole and tightened the other bolt, which let me get home after finishing the exhaust work. Whew...

IMG_1799.JPG

I'm going to try and get an alignment (and the bolts) tomorrow and then she should be about ready to try and sell, after a detail of course. We'll see what happens!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
More "fuck you" updates from the GTI! One of which is a yuge mistake on my part...

First, the water pump on this stock motor is leaking badly, so I have to replace it now. Cool! So I've already gotten it out, and got the new one yesterday. So, I'll be installing that this weekend. I was really fretting this job, turns out it is reallllly easy. Highly recommend y'all replacing your water pumps yourselves if you don't have warranty and need to. I actually.. enjoyed.. doing this job... really weird.

ShopDAP has a great vid on how to do it. However, instead of removing the intake manifold and all that junk, I just took the radiator fan out (two clips and a connection), and then removed the throttle pipe and throttle body off the intake mani. I also removed the clip under the intake manifold that holds a couple of electrical connections. This gives you all the room in the world to access all of the connections and bolts for the water pump, easily. Super simple. Here's the ShopDAP vid though (they remove intake mani):

Pump out:
IMG_1834(1).JPG

FU:

IMG_1835(1).JPG

Now that's all great and good. But I really f'ked myself on this next piece. I was missing the bolt for the knuckle/spindle on my front driver-side suspension, that bolts the spindle down onto the strut. And I totally forgot that I needed to put it on. So... I drove around some without that bolt on, and when I put the car in the air to fix the water pump, this is what I find:

IMG_1824(1).JPG

Pretty cool right? 😂 For those that don't know, this is what it SHOULD look like:

IMG_1825.JPG

So yeah... new CV boot kit ($20) will be here, along with a new spindle/knuckle ($100 used, Ebay) on Saturday. I'm not sure how I'm going to get the strut out of that spindle. But, I have 2 spare OEM struts, and I'm planning on just putting one of those into the new (to me) spindle and installing that.

The saga continues. In other news, I've done 3 track days already in the Camaro ZLE, and it has been fantastic. Really need to get this Mk7 sold for tire money alone, though. 😂

That's all for now!