GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
In practice it's easier to route the cable to the passenger side vent, because you can look straight in from the door shut, across the top of the glovebox/infotainment unit and just poke the wire through to the back of the infotainment screen then down to the panel. I've got both wires in now so I'll keep both, but it shouldn't make too much difference in practice which side you use.

Footwell vents I can't comment on at the minute, but I'm sure there will be a fairly simple route.

I found my little slip of paper that came with my unit from aliexpress, have photographed it and run google translate on the image, I'll upload it in the next reply to help clarify the point I was making earlier about how they have it wrong.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
IMG20201114172855.jpg

Screenshot_2020-11-14-17-32-37-00.jpg

You can see from the pictures that the G150 sensor is bare wires that go to the back of the main 20 pin plug, whereas the other sensor is already connected to one of the 16 pin plugs.

The 20 pin plug has the connections for the upper vents, left and right, whereas the 16 pin connections are for the footwell vents, left and right.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
View attachment 192582
View attachment 192583
You can see from the pictures that the G150 sensor is bare wires that go to the back of the main 20 pin plug, whereas the other sensor is already connected to one of the 16 pin plugs.

The 20 pin plug has the connections for the upper vents, left and right, whereas the 16 pin connections are for the footwell vents, left and right.
Ah yes, the typical Chinese diagrams. To add to the translation...

G150 is the left upper vent, G192 is the footwell vent. There is only one footwell sensor (on the driver side).

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd
Anyone know for sure if MK7 and 7.5 have the same clima units? Only things that I'm "Regretting" (knew what I was getting into when I bought it) is no climate control and halogen headlights.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Anyone know for sure if MK7 and 7.5 have the same clima units? Only things that I'm "Regretting" (knew what I was getting into when I bought it) is no climate control and halogen headlights.

I'd quite like to upgrade to led headlights at some point, the halogen ones are good enough for the time being though. Anyone know if it's a straight swap? I'm guessing there's probably some coding to be done at worst.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I'd quite like to upgrade to led headlights at some point, the halogen ones are good enough for the time being though. Anyone know if it's a straight swap? I'm guessing there's probably some coding to be done at worst.
You can get aftermarket housings that are plug and play, otherwise you'll need adapters.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Retrofitting the OEM lights is an expensive and tedious process. Like IWMTom said, most people elect for the aftermarket options as they're cheaper and far easier.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Are the aftermarket ones road legal in the UK? I've seen various aftermarket ones around, even from manufacturers like Osram, so I'm guessing they've done their homework.
The Osram ones are legal as the light output is below the threshold for some EU legislation that I didn't really bother looking too deeply in to.

Aftermarket ones.. well.. technically no as they're not E marked. The reality is that the beam cut-off is good (providing you use decent bulbs) so you're not going to get pulled over for them. The MOT is another story, as they're supposed to check for headlight washers and auto levelling (which you won't have).

To put a long story short, it takes max 1 hour to drop the front bumper and swap both housings at MOT time :p

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
In all honesty it probably doesn't make a massive amount of difference to the basic operation, it basically just tells the Clima unit exactly where the end stops will be, I guess it will prevent the motor from stripping any of the plastic internal gears if you press a button which makes it open/close really quickly.

It won't affect anything adversely and takes about a minute to do, just press and hold the A/C button and the demist/top vent button on the top row until the LEDs on those buttons start flashing, they'll stop once complete.

I went ahead and carried out this adaptation, lights started flashing and the air went through various vents in stages as expected.

However... I now have MORE faults than when I started! 🤣🤣