GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are the correct settings for JB4 in my situation? (Stock MK7 GTI)

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have a 100% stock (engine) 2015 non-PP GTI. I was considering the JB4 for a little power boost, but I'm unsure what settings would be safe.
My concern is that I track it, and sometimes it's very hot out as well. I'll typically do 4 or 5 twenty to twenty five minute sessions each day.
For reliability purposes, what setting would work best? I was thinking Map 1, but I have read that someone had heat issues with a JB1 on Map 1 and the car went into limp mode, due to heat build up. He had to remove it to continue racing that day.
If I remember correctly, I think someone recommended that he use Map 6 and alter it, and limit certain values (I have no idea which ones). I just wanted a simple plug and play, or at least set and forget power boost. I am ordering the Bluetooth cable as well, so if Map 6 is necessary, if somebody can describe the exact settings I would need for it to be safe and reliable, I would truly appreciate it! Or if not, please let me know if Map 1 would be perfect for my situation.
Thanks!

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks!
Also, I have been reading that there was supposed to be an "auto mapping" function, so it can adjust to weather, temps, etc. in order to protect the engine.
Is this function available at this time? If so, is it automatic on all Maps, or is it a setting that has to be activated (if so, how?)?

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
Thanks!
Also, I have been reading that there was supposed to be an "auto mapping" function, so it can adjust to weather, temps, etc. in order to protect the engine.
Is this function available at this time? If so, is it automatic on all Maps, or is it a setting that has to be activated (if so, how?)?

There isn’t necessarily an “auto mapping” feature but the engine has safeguards that will pull timing when the temps get too high. Truthfully, if you are serious about tracking, an intercooler should definitely be on your list of mods as the JB4 will only heat soak even sooner than stock but an intercooler will let you drive harder for longer and is probably healthier for the engine long term as well.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks,
However, I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole, because it will never end! That's why I wanted the most mild tune, just to get a little boost over stock. I really want to retain drivability and reliability with the car as well.
So far, I have not tracked it in excessive heat, so I don't know if I would have an issue in stock form either. But if I don't have an issue. I would like a tune that would also not cause an issue. Otherwise, the modding will never stop! lol
So far I have done the tires, brakes and rotors, RS3 air ducts, and good brake fluid. On my Christmas list, I added a front strut tower bar, a rear sway bar w/moog end links, and a JB4 w/bluetooth adapter. I was REALLY hoping to stop there! LOL

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
There isn’t necessarily an “auto mapping” feature but the engine has safeguards that will pull timing when the temps get too high. Truthfully, if you are serious about tracking, an intercooler should definitely be on your list of mods as the JB4 will only heat soak even sooner than stock but an intercooler will let you drive harder for longer and is probably healthier for the engine long term as well.
I got confused because here is something that George from the company wrote in Jan '17 in a different thread:
"By the time summer comes we will have a base map 6 that will not be affected by heat changes as it locks in the boost and a autotune map that you select and forget so exciting times ahead."

He also added this:
"For the autotune here is a brief of how it works on the BMW units that run less boost peak:
Map 5 is designed to be continually adapting particularly focusing on the last three minutes or so of wide open throttle activity. Upon selecting map 5 it will default to "93 octane" levels (approx 14psi peak) and adapt up or down from there. Those running E30 mixtures will see the tuning become more aggressive (higher boost, higher timing, leaner AFR) during subsequent wide open throttle pulls while those running lower octane mixtures such as 91 octane will see the tuning become less aggressive (less boost, less timing, richer AFR) during subsequent wide open throttle pulls. It's important to note the map learning is always active. So should things take a turn for the worse during a run (intercooler outlet temps rising, oil temps rising, increased engine knock, etc) the tuning will respond accordingly."

The way I read that is that I can select Map6 and forget about setting anything because the JB4 will be optimized in every situation to do the best that it can. If so, in my situation (using on a track during high temps) shouldn't I select Map6 instead of Map1, in order to have the device auto tune everything?

I'm probably wrong, but any info you can give would be greatly appreciated!

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
OK, I get it now, lol ....but can you please explain why its more appropriate/safer in the heat on the track for my engine with these settings (Map1 vs Map6)? (while keeping everything else stock)
I'm trying to learn more about this device, so it can all make sense to me. I will feel better if I understand it all. Is there fail safes built into the JB4 that the JB1 doesn't have, so the same thing doesn't happen to my car that happened to the other guy?

RTFM

Ready to race!
Thanks,
However, I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole, because it will never end! That's why I wanted the most mild tune, just to get a little boost over stock. I really want to retain drivability and reliability with the car as well.
So far, I have not tracked it in excessive heat, so I don't know if I would have an issue in stock form either. But if I don't have an issue. I would like a tune that would also not cause an issue. Otherwise, the modding will never stop! lol
So far I have done the tires, brakes and rotors, RS3 air ducts, and good brake fluid. On my Christmas list, I added a front strut tower bar, a rear sway bar w/moog end links, and a JB4 w/bluetooth adapter. I was REALLY hoping to stop there! LOL
You may not want to go down the rabbit hole, which is fine because the boost pipes, radiator, and intercooler are the only things worth doing while in there and an intercooler is all you would need. A stock car can heatsoak the stock intercooler on a track, so I would recommend one (probably APR or AMS for you) before the JB4 if you want to track it.

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
OK, I get it now, lol ....but can you please explain why its more appropriate/safer in the heat on the track for my engine with these settings (Map1 vs Map6)? (while keeping everything else stock)
I'm trying to learn more about this device, so it can all make sense to me. I will feel better if I understand it all. Is there fail safes built into the JB4 that the JB1 doesn't have, so the same thing doesn't happen to my car that happened to the other guy?

The JB4 has better control of fueling than the JB1. It can also mo item more parameters and I would consider it generally safer because it can tell more of what’s going on. The JB1 is great but not as advancedas The JB4.

As for safeguards, they both leave the stock safeguards in place so the car would act the same as it would stock but will heatsoak faster because you are running it harder with higher boost which creates more heat.

Our map 6 doesn’t automatically adjust like it does on BMW’s. The JB4 is much more powerful on a BMW than our cars and can adjust even more. Map 1 is the safest because it has the lowest added boost.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
If you want a set it and forget it answer, Diggs gave it to you. Map 1.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, then you're going to have to log. Frequently. You may have to adjust your map 6 for track conditions throughout the day. For different weather conditions during the week. I call that the rabbit hole.

I don't track my car. I have an aggressive Map 6 that I'll use in winter, or when running e30. Otherwise I run Map 3 or Map 2. I don't change my Map 6 values at all.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks guys! That definitely helps me clear things up.
I guess my concern was if Map1 was too aggressive in the heat on the track for a stock car (w/o a better intercooler).
I was debating if I would have had to go to Map 6, and cut it back to "lower than" Map1. Because the last thing I want, is for my car to go into limp mode on the track, and ruin my day.
I don't mind if it pulls back boost because of the heat, or pulls a little timing if necessary, I just don't want to wind up worse than stock if you know what I mean.
By the way, I always use 93 octane in it, so based on what you guys are saying, I should be more than fine in ALL situations with Map1, since it is a mild tune and all the stock failsafes are in place.
Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I want to do it right the first time without wasting money, time, or getting frustrated.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
The JB4 itself has parameters it monitors and if anything goes out of range in automatically reverts to stock (map 0). it also preserves all stock ECU safeguards.

Map1 until you get an IC on the track, map 2 on the street. Thats the beauty of the JB4.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The JB4 itself has parameters it monitors and if anything goes out of range in automatically reverts to stock (map 0). it also preserves all stock ECU safeguards.

Map1 until you get an IC on the track, map 2 on the street. Thats the beauty of the JB4.
Thanks! That's EXACTLY the info I was looking for. It makes sense, and I can have a starting point.
So one last (probably simple) question. I'm assuming that if it has to revert back to Map 0 (stock), once the problem is fixed (car cools down, or any other problem), It will automatically revert back to Map 1, correct?