dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Facts matter. Not many of them here.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Facts matter. Not many of them here.

Fact. My 2019 GTI came with 508 oil. When it was changed at 4000 miles, it looked just like all used oil. I've been on 5w-40 since 4000 miles, because I track the car in Florida. Car has been driven hard for 14,000 miles with 5w-40. My 2018 S has 22,000 miles, also with 5w-40, as that and 5w-30 are recommended by factory.

Since they literally have the same engine, with the exception of an additional tooth on the oil pump, it'll be fine.

That's the facts.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What's the point of the dye then?

No idea, marketing, helping techs identify the oils in the shop? Who knows. I can tell you at 4000 miles, you couldn't see any dye.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
No idea, marketing, helping techs identify the oils in the shop? Who knows. I can tell you at 4000 miles, you couldn't see any dye.
Yep, it’s simply for identification purposes in a workshop environment.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Sorry to beat a nearly dead horse, but I'd say it is pretty common to go up an SAE oil weight or two when tracking a given vehicle, at least based on my limited sample size of known track rats. And the oil often gets dumped after 1 or 2 track events. Who sticks to only what the owners manual says if their daily driver is about to see heavy track use? They are already staring down a decent list of modifications in the name of safety and engine longevity (unless of course they purchased a track focused vehicle direct from the factory).

And of course, if you aren't tracking your car, stick to the oil spec called for in the owners manual. Darn, beating a dead horse and playing Captain Obvious all in the same post. Sorry fellows.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sorry to beat a nearly dead horse, but I'd say it is pretty common to go up an SAE oil weight or two when tracking a given vehicle, at least based on my limited sample size of known track rats. And the oil often gets dumped after 1 or 2 track events. Who sticks to only what the owners manual says if their daily driver is about to see heavy track use? They are already staring down a decent list of modifications in the name of safety and engine longevity (unless of course they purchased a track focused vehicle direct from the factory).

And of course, if you aren't tracking your car, stick to the oil spec called for in the owners manual. Darn, beating a dead horse and playing Captain Obvious all in the same post. Sorry fellows.

I wouldn't use 0w-20 oil in Phoenix where it was above 100* for 150 days this summer and over 110* for 55 days if the owners manual called for that oil.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I wouldn't use 0w-20 oil in Phoenix where it was above 100* for 150 days this summer and over 110* for 55 days if the owners manual called for that oil.
For what’s its worth...
I have a 2019 with the factory spec to use the 508, at my most recent change I decided to switch to motul sport ester 5w/40 for my piece of mind and well the last concern with this car is warranty at this level, lol.
At that time I wanted to see what the oil that’s been in the car for 7500 miles (the “dreaded” 0w20) looked like and this was the report I got back. To be noted this oil was the oil in the car during this last summer in Vegas with same heat levels as you... and this was with a car that’s running a hybrid and was the oil in the car during many many many WOT log runs.

108FD790-163C-4E2E-BBA8-025CED514C63.jpeg
6395FBDF-1AE4-42C9-B1E8-EFD79AEFCF39.jpeg

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I asked about this. I figured maybe they dye reacts with some spray or special flashlight or something. Nope.

the mechanics, techs, service writers and service manager know it has a dye but don’t know why 😂

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
For what’s its worth...
I have a 2019 with the factory spec to use the 508, at my most recent change I decided to switch to motul sport ester 5w/40 for my piece of mind and well the last concern with this car is warranty at this level, lol.
At that time I wanted to see what the oil that’s been in the car for 7500 miles (the “dreaded” 0w20) looked like and this was the report I got back. To be noted this oil was the oil in the car during this last summer in Vegas with same heat levels as you... and this was with a car that’s running a hybrid and was the oil in the car during many many many WOT log runs.

View attachment 189798View attachment 189799

508 0w-20 is a great oil for everyone that doesn't track their car. Do a couple track weekends with four 20 min sessions on track in 90+ temps with 280 deg oil temps and it will kill that oil. Just saying.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I asked about this. I figured maybe they dye reacts with some spray or special flashlight or something. Nope.

the mechanics, techs, service writers and service manager know it has a dye but don’t know why 😂

Yeah, it would be fantastic if it was for finding leaks with a black light or something.

Last edited:

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Been doing a bit of research lately due to new vehicle in the garage that specs 508.00 0W-20 (Tiguan EA-888B). The Budack cycle engine is purpose built around economy and has several other internal changes vs, standard newer EA-888 (2019+) that it must use the 508. There is rumor that Castrol put some tracer element in it for tracking purposes, but unless that tracer is some radioactive isotope, that has been mostly conjecture, conspiracy theory, or bullshit. Or some combination of all three. Several VOAs (virgin oil analysis) show nothing unusual added above and beyond the normal elemental adds for this spec oil. Only thing I've seen is higher titanium anti-wear additive numbers, but that is part of a signature Castrol add pack. Lower calcium, phos, zinc typical of the spec as well. So nothing here to see, move along.

Incidently, the green dye is for shop purposes so techs put proper oil in the vehicle calling for it. There are many recent models that can call for 502.00, 504.00 or 508.00 that they did something to avoid improper fill. You won't see it after some service use. I still stand by my original statements regarding the 508.00 for newer engines (beside the gen 3B). Want economy? fill it with the 20. Tuning or tracking? Go 502. Verify through analysis and motor on.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Been doing a bit of research lately due to new vehicle in the garage that specs 508.00 0W-20 (Tiguan EA-888B). The Budack cycle engine is purpose built around economy and has several other internal changes vs, standard newer EA-888 (2019+) that it must use the 508. There is rumor that Castrol put some tracer element in it for tracking purposes, but unless that tracer is some radioactive isotope, that has been mostly conjecture, conspiracy theory, or bullshit. Or some combination of all three. Several VOAs (virgin oil analysis) show nothing unusual added above and beyond the normal elemental adds for this spec oil. Only thing I've seen is higher titanium anti-wear additive numbers, but that is part of a signature Castrol add pack. Lower calcium, phos, zinc typical of the spec as well. So nothing here to see, move along.

Incidently, the green dye is for shop purposes so techs put proper oil in the vehicle calling for it. There are many recent models that can call for 502.00, 504.00 or 508.00 that they did something to avoid improper fill. You won't see it after some service use. I still stand by my original statements regarding the 508.00 for newer engines (beside the gen 3B). Want economy? fill it with the 20. Tuning or tracking? Go 502. Verify through analysis and motor on.
Good stuff. Facts are important. For 95%+ of owners, stay with the oil specified for your vehicle at least through the warranty expiration. The other 1-5% here can argue all day to the contrary.

BTW, since 2019 it’s Exxon Mobil for VW factory fill and dealer use. OPs dealer using Valvoline notwithstanding. At least in the States.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Good stuff. Facts are important. For 95%+ of owners, stay with the oil specified for your vehicle at least through the warranty expiration. The other 1-5% here can argue all day to the contrary.

BTW, since 2019 it’s Exxon Mobil for VW factory fill and dealer use. OPs dealer using Valvoline notwithstanding. At least in the States.

🤣🤣🤣

Same thing everyone else said. Use factory fill unless you track. Pretty simple.

And again, the dye isn't visible once used, and the dealer isn't going to send your oil off for a viscosity test.

We done with this now or are you going to continue to post that the dealer can tell what oil you have in the car because of the dye?