GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Understood but doesn’t mean it’s the proper oil for the car-at least under warranty. I’d frankly be more concerned about the Valvoline reference. VW spec oil is now Exxon Mobil-from 2019 onward and Castrol Edge prior to that.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
But it was done and documented at a VW dealership. I cannot see how the customer would be responsible for any damage caused by this. The Valvoline sign is huge and it is on the outside, right at the entrance to the service department. Like I said, this is a very high volume dealer, either VW doesn't care or they need to get their shit together when it comes to these oil specs. IIRC my other dealer uses Valvoline as well or at least advertises it. This is also why I always change the oil at 3-5K intervals.

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I don't understand why people overcomplicate this. As long as the oil meets and preferably is certified for 502, 504, 505, 508, or 509 specs it's fine. FFS it's engine oil, not arcane magic serum. Pick oil with the appropriate specs for your application. If you're tuned choose a 502/504 oil, since they're intended for hard use with good lifespan. If you want to maximize MPG's and have the longest oil change interval, then choose a 508/509 oil.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
I had my first oil change done at the dealership...Invoice states 052-167-S0 engine oil, which someone correct me if I am wrong is Castrol 5W-40...They advertise that they use Valvoline...This is a 2019 GLI. I have no idea what oil they put in there 😆. Let you know if I come across any issues. BTW is a high volume dealership that sells tons of GTI/GLI/R cars.
Would be a 0W-20 if any. No worries..I’m certain the correct was put in - just can’t vouch for the QTY or the buttoning up of everything 🤙
In the U.S. we follow SAE weight/grade in Europe it’s Spec (e.g. 502, 508, etc)
I use Quaker State Ultimate Durability and it isn’t Spec’d oil.

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I don't understand why people overcomplicate this. As long as the oil meets and preferably is certified for 502, 504, 505, 508, or 509 specs it's fine. FFS it's engine oil, not arcane magic serum. Pick oil with the appropriate specs for your application. If you're tuned choose a 502/504 oil, since they're intended for hard use with good lifespan. If you want to maximize MPG's and have the longest oil change interval, then choose a 508/509 oil.
And warranty considerations?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
But it was done and documented at a VW dealership. I cannot see how the customer would be responsible for any damage caused by this. The Valvoline sign is huge and it is on the outside, right at the entrance to the service department. Like I said, this is a very high volume dealer, either VW doesn't care or they need to get their shit together when it comes to these oil specs. IIRC my other dealer uses Valvoline as well or at least advertises it. This is also why I always change the oil at 3-5K intervals.
Having it performed at a VW dealership certainly gives you documentation but it still doesn’t answer the question as to what oil was put in. The correct 508.0 spec for your car or what was listed on the invoice. Having already questioned it, sure feels like you‘d want to follow up. No one here can factually answer it for you. Your dealer can.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
And warranty considerations?

Have you ever heard of a single case of a warranty claim being denied. Because someone used a slightly heavier oil?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Having it performed at a VW dealership certainly gives you documentation but it still doesn’t answer the question as to what oil was put in. The correct 508.0 spec for your car or what was listed on the invoice. Having already questioned it, sure feels like you‘d want to follow up. No one here can factually answer it for you. Your dealer can.

You seriously have too much faith in the dealer knowing what was put in his car. I can assure you, they have zero idea what was put in his car, nor would they care or try to find out if he brought it in for warranty work.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You seriously have to much faith in the dealer knowing what was put in his car. I can assure you, they that zero idea what was put in his car, nor would they care or try to find out if he brought it in for warranty work.

I agree with that plus it's not like the dealer is going to take a sample and get the viscosity checked.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Short of a catastrophic engine failure requiring a VW inspector from corporate showing up, they're not going to bother with testing your oil's viscosity. Again, 502/504 for hard use and 508/509 for MPG's. It's really that simple.

Relevant info from Fuchs: https://www.fuchs.com/fileadmin/sch..._from_FUCHS_for__VW_508_00-509_00_02-2017.pdf

The 508/509 spec was literally designed as a lower viscosity spec for fuel savings and extended change intervals, that's it.

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Have you ever heard of a single case of a warranty claim being denied. Because someone used a slightly heavier oil?
And without the green dye that 508 has. Not sure what your beef is with me. It’s not my car. I’m stating what I think the OP should do based on his post. You disagree. Great. Whatever.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
And without the green dye that 508 has. Not sure what your beef is with me. It’s not my car. I’m stating what I think the OP should do based on his post. You disagree. Great. Whatever.

Wait, so you think anyone can see the green dye after a 3,000 miles of driving? Come on man, so you do not check your oil between oil changes? Are you telling me you can see the green dye in used oil?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Wonder if the dye still is visible after the oil gets dirty?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wait, so you think anyone can see the green dye after a 3,000 miles of driving? Come on man, so you do not check your oil between oil changes? Are you telling me you can see the green dye in used oil?

Not to mention that if it wasn't a catastrophic engine failure a person could just put the 508 oil in and then go to the dealer.