GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Make a mk7 6MT Suck Less

gbar

Ready to race!
To get rid of that rev hang isn't tune related. You need to remove the clutch assist spring, which is number one mod mentioned on page 1 of this thread.
The clutch assist spring has nothing to do with rev-hang. Rev-hang is the result of the ECU programmed to maintain RPMs when you release the accelerator.
Air conditioning. The extra load from the compressor can help RPMs drop faster, but only after the ECU stops holding the RPMs constant. So it's just a band-aid for the root problem, the ECU

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
The clutch assist spring has nothing to do with rev-hang. Rev-hang is the result of the ECU programmed to maintain RPMs when you release the accelerator.

Air conditioning. The extra load from the compressor can help RPMs drop faster, but only after the ECU stops holding the RPMs constant. So it's just a band-aid for the root problem, the ECU

Have you even done the clutch assist mod?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I have and it still hangs. After research it’s been baked into the ECU.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
It happened to me earlier. It’s getting to be dangerous. I was getting through traffic and had to pull off to the shoulder instead of zipping around a braking truck.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
You can two hand pull it and it refuses to shift to 2nd. And I’m a pretty big guy. Love the car but may have to consider trading this is in it’s getting so ridiculous. I’ll do a few things to fix it, and it seems to improve it then it pops up again. Don’t want to end up dead because I’m distracted by the lockout or can’t get out of 1st gear.

It’s probably varying factors depending on engine load/oxygen/fuel that the throttle body is telling the ECU.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
You can’t two hand pull it and it refuses to shift to 2nd. And I’m a pretty big guy.
When was the gear oil changed last? You should try to adjust the lever again maybe... that’s seems like A lot to be that Bad.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Car has 28K gear oil was changed on clutch change about 16K ago with Motul from a VW/Audi unitronic shop nearby. The linkage feels smooth, it’s the same feeling as accidentally hitting 1st when upshifting to 3rd, if one were even able to do that. It’s blocked off.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Car has 28K gear oil was changed on clutch change about 16K ago with Motul from a VW/Audi unitronic shop nearby. The linkage feels smooth, it’s the same feeling as accidentally hitting 1st when upshifting to 3rd, if one were even able to do that. It’s blocked off.

As El_bigote_AJ did and what I am going to try is switch the transmission fluid from Motul back to OEM. If that doesn't work for me, then I will have the transmission pulled and looked at to make sure the slider and gears are fine.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I use motul and though the shift from 1st to second has some rev hang, I don't experience more than maybe a fraction of a second of lockout, even when really going for it.

I can't remember what it was like with stock fluid, because I changed it out about a month after purchase as part of a "I don't trust previous owners to do proper maintenance" full service. I was also untuned back then.

I may try stock fluid when the next interval comes up at 60k. Would be interesting to compare.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I use motul and though the shift from 1st to second has some rev hang, I don't experience more than maybe a fraction of a second of lockout, even when really going for it.

I can't remember what it was like with stock fluid, because I changed it out about a month after purchase as part of a "I don't trust previous owners to do proper maintenance" full service. I was also untuned back then.

I may try stock fluid when the next interval comes up at 60k. Would be interesting to compare.
you 100% should...

It’s night and day for me. Another note in regards to it being a fair assessment of Fluids back to back was that I’m comparing motul that’s in the car for 1500 miles Vs the brand new vw fluid... essentially brand new vs brand new back to back, as opposed to 30-40k old stock vs brand new motul.

Also, harbor freight 9 dollar transfer pump works like a charm for this. Especially cause the 2019s don’t have an actual full plug so you have to fill through the shaft tensioner ball bolt above that plastic locking pin , so you can’t fully fit a hose without a tapered nozzle in the shaft tensioner hole like the fill plug hole.

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Fluid change on the short list!

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT

Dakaos

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI S
Hey Grantpab, I have all three of those products on my Gti. The super pin is and the super slider are imo is worth it the most. The shaft bushing does help but you'll only feel it when you are shifting into reverse or if your factory bushings and completely worn out. . All could be installed by yourself if you are mechanically inclined. The Super Pin takes about a hour or more to get to. It involves removing the center console and and a few other trim pieces. If you are on the fence you hope this helps in the right direction. The difference won't be mind blowing but, it will make your shifting more consistent. I would also recommend the Diesel Geek Shifter Alignment Tool too if you ever need to reset the shifter to the "home position".

There are many products to improve shifting on VW's and it's easy to to spend a small fortune on it. You got the right idea of where to start.