GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pulsing brakes - warped rotors or brake deposits

cb1111

Yes, I spend lots of time doing fun stuff like looking at recalls and the like. Today, a coworker asked about his "warped rotors" on his Civic, so I found this.

What is interesting, is that it includes pictures of the different types of problems that could mimic warped rotors.

Accordingly, I thought this might be of interest to the group.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Doesnt warped rotors make the wheel shake, and deposits make the pedal shake?

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Most common issue with wheels feeling shakey is if they are not balanced correctly or they are aftermarket wheels without hub rings.

It could still be the brakes but more often on these cars I see it being the wheels.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Most common issue with wheels feeling shakey is if they are not balanced correctly or they are aftermarket wheels without hub rings.

It could still be the brakes but more often on these cars I see it being the wheels.

Not if he only experiences it only when braking.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Doesnt warped rotors make the wheel shake, and deposits make the pedal shake?
If the surface of the brake rotor is uneven, regardless of the cause, the brakes will vibrate under braking, which will manifest itself in the same vibrations felt through the car. The brakes are physically connected to the suspension, steering components, and of course the rest of the brake system, so if the rotors aren't smooth, everything attached to them is going to shake.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It is next to impossible to warp rotors on a street car and the way it manifests itself is if it is on the front or rear.

No so sure about that, I had a few Hondas back in the day and I was able to warp some rotors. Also happened in my wife's old minivan as well.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
i wonder if there was a particular rise in incidence of brake disc corrosion related work due to a lot of cars being parked in the current pandemic. It is a very recent release date after all.

Most definitely. My dad's dealership has had a spike in customers with grinding brakes and dead batteries.

cb1111

Most definitely. My dad's dealership has had a spike in customers with grinding brakes and dead batteries.
Yes, I even understand that my old office stopped plugging in their Volts so that they'd use the gas.

This is an updated bulletin with more photos and is unlikely to have anything to do with COVID-19

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
No so sure about that, I had a few Hondas back in the day and I was able to warp some rotors. Also happened in my wife's old minivan as well.

Rotors don’t warp. They wear un even or suffer from deposits. Wide spread misconception that they warp.