GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New owner of 2017 GTI first time maintenance

Kingzain74

Car(s)
2017 GTI
Hey everyone I just joined this form in hopes of learning more about my 2017 GTI with DSG I just picked up with 26k miles. I have worked on all my former cars and can comfortably do most repairs to my vehicle myself in my shop.

As a just picked up this vehicle I plan changing all fluids for peace of mind as I will know everything is new and topped off along with replacing the brake pads with ones i like.

Is there anything for this vehicle that needs extra attention or could be fixed or cleaned while it's up in the air already before they get worse since it's a used vehicle. It was a certified used vehicle through a dealership so I know it's not a leased beat to hell and back but who knows how just attention your average auto tech really paid during inspection

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the GTI. Sounds like you have a good handle on maintaining your car. About the only other thing I would do besides what you said is just a general inspection. How are the tires? Does it look like they are wearing consistently across the tread?

Kingzain74

Car(s)
2017 GTI
Thank you !
Tires look really well but i will be installing snow tires here in Michigan in a month or so and then be switching to a new summer performance set.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
As a just picked up this vehicle I plan changing all fluids for peace of mind as I will know everything is new and topped off along with replacing the brake pads with ones i like.

Is there anything for this vehicle that needs extra attention or could be fixed or cleaned while it's up in the air already before they get worse since it's a used vehicle. It was a certified used vehicle through a dealership so I know it's not a leased beat to hell and back but who knows how just attention your average auto tech really paid during inspection

Congrats on The car, you’re gonna love it.

just to cover the fluids you want to change,here are the “flushable” systems on the MK7:

1. engine oil :)
2. DSG oil. Changing the DSG fluid is an easy process and is well-documented. Just look it up on google, and check the maintenance subforums (you posted in the “GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhausts / Tunes” section. This would be more appropriately placed in the “Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids /“ section)
3. VAQ / Haldex fluid - this one is a bit less documented I think, but people do it so you can likely find info on this forum (general golfmk7 site tip, don’t bother using the forum search function. Use google and just include site:golfmk7.com before your search and it will narrow results to the site)
4. Brakes
5. Coolant - use OE spec
6. Blinker

that should be it.

also it being CPO means nothing, besides it came with a short extended warranty. Most here would agree. They really don’t check the cars at all. There have been numerous reported instances of an unsuspecting buyer bringing a CPO car in to a VW dealer for warranty work being DENIED coverage by VW for having a tuned/TD1’d car. That means the dealer didn’t inspect the car at all, slapped a CPO sticker on it, and sold it as such. Admittedly, I’d be somewhat surprised if VW hadn’t implemented a mandatory ECU scan in order to officially certify a car by now.

honestly those really are the only things, besides checking for any signs of a coolant leak around the thermostat housing. The housing is failure-prone, not so much the coolant pump itself.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Thank you !
Tires look really well but i will be installing snow tires here in Michigan in a month or so and then be switching to a new summer performance set.
I have a set of 17" Michelin winter tires from a Passat in my garage, with plenty of tread left on them. They're not the correct size (215/55/17 so they're taller than stock), but they'll do the job. I'm just outside the metro Detroit area, so if you're interested, hit me up.

Last edited:

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Does your 2017 have the Performance Pack? The easy way to tell is to check for the "GTI" emblems on the front brake calipers. If so, be careful what size winter wheels you purchase as you can have clearance issues with some 17" wheels.

Welcome, and enjoy. I have no issues in the winter with my GTI on 4 wheel snows.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Does your 2017 have the Performance Pack? The easy way to tell is to check for the "GTI" emblems on the front brake calipers. If so, be careful what size winter wheels you purchase as you can have clearance issues with some 17" wheels.

Welcome, and enjoy. I have no issues in the winter with my GTI on 4 wheel snows.
Not sure if it's still true, but PP also has red emblems vs chrome for "GTI".

All of my 17s are a tight fit on PP brakes for sure, but still enough room for weights and whatnot :).

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Not sure if it's still true, but PP also has red emblems vs chrome for "GTI".

All of my 17s are a tight fit on PP brakes for sure, but still enough room for weights and whatnot :).
I think pretty much all VW/Audi OEM wheels will clear the PP brakes. My 17" winter wheels were originally on an S4 and the wheel weights clear, but only just.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I think pretty much all VW/Audi OEM wheels will clear the PP brakes. My 17" winter wheels were originally on an S4 and the wheel weights clear, but only just.
Someone gave me some older 17" x7 vw wheels (I think they were from an mk5 gti) which may have been aftermarket but had the oem vw center caps. Those did not clear for me with wheel weights. The caliper popped off the weights the moment I started moving, lol.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3