GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil analysis - I found my oil!

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Attached is my latest Blackstone oil analysis. I've had 4 done, the first 2 were Motul X-Cess, the third was Pennzoil Platinum Euro and this one was Liqui-Moly Leichtlauf. I was always concerned about the viscosity after 5000 miles, but no more. I am going to stick with Liqui-Moly.
blackstone-10-16-20.jpg

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
sweet, I've got some of that in the garage waiting to go in. I'm gonna have to start sending samples to these folks.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I appreciate you guys who do oil analyses putting the results up here because it is interesting to see. I must say though, perhaps most interesting take away is that I've yet to see a really bad one, no matter what the oil or the mileage, it always seems to be pretty rosy.

And with that observation, for me, what I want is the cheapest oil which meets the manufacturers stated approval. Which in my case for VW502 is Mobil 1 0w40 when it's on rebate at about 10-12 dollars for 5qt. 3 oil changes for the price of one Liquimoly.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I appreciate you guys who do oil analyses putting the results up here because it is interesting to see. I must say though, perhaps most interesting take away is that I've yet to see a really bad one, no matter what the oil or the mileage, it always seems to be pretty rosy.

I've raised that point before, questioning how useful these were as I've never seen anything negative from Blackstone. Someone pointed out something then that really made sense; the kind of people who care enough about their car to send oil to Blackstone, care enough to use good oil and change it frequently. Which would explain the always positive results.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
I always figure, frequent oil changes make your car last longer than you probably will keep it, but for a few extra dollars relative to what the damn thing costs you, isn’t it good insurance?

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have been running this oil for 45k miles and she always runs so well. I just wish I could find a Liqui Moli 0w30 504 for my wife's Atlas.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I always figure, frequent oil changes make your car last longer than you probably will keep it, but for a few extra dollars relative to what the damn thing costs you, isn’t it good insurance?
The only issue with frequent oil changes is lost money.

If you ask Blackstone for OCI help, they will suggest how many miles you can go before the next change based on wear metals and additive left over. Hence saving money due to longer OCI.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Agreed. With the previous analyses, the oil was beginning to shear too much. I figure I can go 8000 miles on liqui-moly, thus extending the oil change interval and saving money.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
I just ordered a kit to see how Motul Sport 5w-40 holds up. I've been using that oil for 1.5 years and change my oil every 5K miles.
Interested in the results as I know Ed is a big fan of that oil.... but if you’re changing it every 5k I wouldn’t expect anything but positive feedback from Blackstone.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Attached is my latest Blackstone oil analysis. I've had 4 done, the first 2 were Motul X-Cess, the third was Pennzoil Platinum Euro and this one was Liqui-Moly Leichtlauf. I was always concerned about the viscosity after 5000 miles, but no more. I am going to stick with Liqui-Moly.View attachment 189024
I wouldn't worry about the viscosity if the wear is good and Motul is showing the least here thought the differences are negligible. We also don't know the VOA viscosities (which cab vary quite a bit within viscosity ranges) so no idea which have sheared the most. I think you need another UOA on LM to know where it's at but certainly not required with those wear #s. You sometimes see some minor extra wear when you change oils and your low metals may drop to Motul levels on the next one. The LM may just be quieter due to viscosity. Don't see much else there that would cause it though I've heard that comment before.

Even though it performed great, the Motul x-Cess may not be the best choice from that line with short intervals. Motul Sport should be awesome here. Great base oil and has lowered calcium to prevent LSPI on turbos while bumping other adds. It just costs A LOT and not needed for your use with those #s.

Last edited: