GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

battery tender/trickle charger

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
yes, but you have to clip it to the battery terminals, right? I need some way that wont require me to attach anything to my terminals
CTEK makes a bunch of different connection accessories. On the Viper I have them hard-wired to the battery with a plug that drops down in the rear so I just have to reach under and plug the charger in. They do cig lighter adapters as well, and a whole bunch of extensions, etc. https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-263-Comfort-Connect-Plug/dp/B0016LA5O8

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Been using a battery tender jr for the last 6 years.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
AGM batteries are very sensitive to temperature, so chargers that are rated to handle AGM are able to compensate (lower current when hot, more when cold). If you're in a non-extreme climate, not having this feature might not matter. If you're someplace like Arizona as I am - it very likely does.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Come to think of it, my other car runs AGM battery from the factory, but I'm running the Battery Tender JR with no issue.. it is the most current model which may/may not matter.

I just double checked and the JR also supports AGM. (it's under the Additional Information menu).

https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-Tender-Junior-12V-0-75A

Now the 'maintenance free' batteries I was referring to in the above post are the standard acid batteries where I would add water even if they are called 'maintenance free'.

ottobon100

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI "S"
I tried using the 12V cig plug on the console with my CTEK and it does not work. It is not powered with the key off and out of the ignition. Does anyone know if there is a work around to be able to provide power to the cig plug? Seems I have seen something about changing or adding a fuse or ...? I will connect directly to the battery when it becomes necessary but would like to be able to use the cig plug if at all possible.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I tried using the 12V cig plug on the console with my CTEK and it does not work. It is not powered with the key off and out of the ignition. Does anyone know if there is a work around to be able to provide power to the cig plug? Seems I have seen something about changing or adding a fuse or ...? I will connect directly to the battery when it becomes necessary but would like to be able to use the cig plug if at all possible.
It must have a bad connection or blown fuse now because it should be working. I use mine in my 18 GTI daily and have since day one. It's powered with the key on by the way.

ottobon100

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI "S"
It must have a bad connection or blown fuse now because it should be working. I use mine in my 18 GTI daily and have since day one. It's powered with the key on by the way.
It works with the key on but I want to use it to charge/maintain the battery when the key is "off"/removed it isn't powered. I am asking if there is a way to have it powered with the key out so I can charge the battery using the cig plug say over the weekend when I'm not using the car.

Dario

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7R

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
I use a Noco 1 for my boat's batteries. It's a maintainer so can be left plugged in. I've noticed that once batteries are fully charged they do not really discharge much (ever after 2-3 months).

https://no.co/genius1

Every quarter or so I plug the Noco into my cars. It always takes a surprising amount of time to 'top off' the batteries.