GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

battery tender/trickle charger

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
Hey guys! I'm looking for a battery tender/trickle charger that will help keep my car's battery in tip top shape when I'm not driving it. I'm looking for one where I don't have to use the 6V alligator clamps on the battery terminals. My dad has one, for a much higher end car, that plugs in under the dash and into the garage wall. simple. anyone have any idea if there is even an option like that for the Golf R? or do they all require the terminal clamps?

thanks!

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Lots of options to do this. Look at the Noco stuff on Amazon. I have the Noco One for my BMW, which sits for weeks at a time - I use it with an extension & clips, but you can buy accessories to accomplish your goal.

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
Lots of options to do this. Look at the Noco stuff on Amazon. I have the Noco One for my BMW, which sits for weeks at a time - I use it with an extension & clips, but you can buy accessories to accomplish your goal.
oh nice! where does it plug into your bmw?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I used to have a CTEK and it came with an adapter to plug into the cigarette lighter to charge the car. Probably has to be a constant hot connection to work, but you can easily change these cars to allow that. Personally I didn't like it because then you had to route the route through the door or window or whatever to plug into the wall.

After my CTEK took a shit, I am now running this "viking" one from harbor freight and honestly it works much the same and it was so much cheaper. It comes with standard clips but you can also ring terminals so you can semi "hardwire" it. I use this all the time on my other car that sits around all the time.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I am using a Battery Tender Junior on my 17 GTI Sport and it works fine. It came with two different ways to connect directly to the battery, one uses the alligator clips and the other has eyelets that are secured to the battery posts under the battery cover. The cord to the Tender goes out the front of the car and I close the hood. I also use CTEK battery maintainers on my two motorcycles and you can get or it comes with the unit the two different styles of connectors. I would just be sure that the unit you get can handle the type of battery you have, that is, lead acid, AGM, or lithium-ion.

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
I used to have a CTEK and it came with an adapter to plug into the cigarette lighter to charge the car. Probably has to be a constant hot connection to work, but you can easily change these cars to allow that. Personally I didn't like it because then you had to route the route through the door or window or whatever to plug into the wall.

After my CTEK took a shit, I am now running this "viking" one from harbor freight and honestly it works much the same and it was so much cheaper. It comes with standard clips but you can also ring terminals so you can semi "hardwire" it. I use this all the time on my other car that sits around all the time.
do you have to leave the terminal clamps on and just hook up to it when you use it? im trying to avoid ever opening my hood to do this

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
do you have to leave the terminal clamps on and just hook up to it when you use it? im trying to avoid ever opening my hood to do this

I have the little eyelet things permanently connected to battery, but the way I have it set up, I do have to pop the hood to get to it...wanted to keep it away from water etc.

If it's going to be a hassle to pop the hood for this constantly....do you really need a battery tender? Just sayin-- my other car literally sits for weeks at a time so it makes sense and popping the hood isn't a big deal.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wired a Battery Tender JR into my sons Powerwheels and the same can be done on anything really. It lives outside and hasn’t missed a beat in 2+ years.

Build a harness and hang the two pin connector out wherever you want to avoid opening the hood. Diesel guys hang the oil heater plug out the grille, which could work for your application.

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
I have the little eyelet things permanently connected to battery, but the way I have it set up, I do have to pop the hood to get to it...wanted to keep it away from water etc.

If it's going to be a hassle to pop the hood for this constantly....do you really need a battery tender? Just sayin-- my other car literally sits for weeks at a time so it makes sense and popping the hood isn't a big deal.
for sure, im debating that. i do use it somewhat frequently stilll. but ive also been through one battery in 3 years... and im sure i could have avoided that had i had it plugged in. just the nature of constantly driving shirt distances in cold climates and then letting it sit for days. now im in texas, and i hear the heat can be just as bad

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
I have a CTEK trickle charger that I have had for about 9 years and is great for just keeping the battery topped off. I needed a good charger about a year ago and bought the CTEK charger that will also run a de-sulphation program as well to freshen up the battery. I have an old Platinum Sears battery that is about 6 years old now that is still tip top using these chargers in my "race car" that sits up for long periods of time. I love the CTEK products. They cost a bit more, but seem to do an excellent job keeping the batteries in good shape and are pretty tough as well.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
for sure, im debating that. i do use it somewhat frequently stilll. but ive also been through one battery in 3 years... and im sure i could have avoided that had i had it plugged in. just the nature of constantly driving shirt distances in cold climates and then letting it sit for days. now im in texas, and i hear the heat can be just as bad

For heat usually need to check water levels more frequently as the liquid inside tends to evaporate regardless of 'maintenance free' battery or not. I usually check mine after the 4th or 5th year (snow belt state), but in hot climates probably check once every other year and just add distilled water as needed.

I usually just open up the cell caps while still on the car and check/add water. Wear safety glasses and disposable gloves as that water is extremely corrosive if you accidentally splash it. Wipe up any splashes immediately.

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
I have a CTEK trickle charger that I have had for about 9 years and is great for just keeping the battery topped off. I needed a good charger about a year ago and bought the CTEK charger that will also run a de-sulphation program as well to freshen up the battery. I have an old Platinum Sears battery that is about 6 years old now that is still tip top using these chargers in my "race car" that sits up for long periods of time. I love the CTEK products. They cost a bit more, but seem to do an excellent job keeping the batteries in good shape and are pretty tough as well.
yes, but you have to clip it to the battery terminals, right? I need some way that wont require me to attach anything to my terminals

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt

For heat usually need to check water levels more frequently as the liquid inside tends to evaporate regardless of 'maintenance free' battery or not. I usually check mine after the 4th or 5th year (snow belt state), but in hot climates probably check once every other year and just add distilled water as needed.

I usually just open up the cell caps while still on the car and check/add water. Wear safety glasses and disposable gloves as that water is extremely corrosive if you accidentally splash it. Wipe up any splashes immediately.
smart. i never even thought about that