GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA: TPC20 - not recommended

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
That is probably what bugs me the most about all of this. If Navi had a blown one in April, and knew of others at that time (now turning out to be a lot more than 2 as THEREALVRT claimed), but it was only a few weeks ago that TPC changed it, then that is roughly 5 months of selling a turbo with known issues. EQT halted sales when a problem popped up and offered to warranty non-failed turbos too. They found a solution to make a better turbo and then resumed sales. The way the two companies handled a very similar situation speaks volumes about how differently their businesses are run.

To be honest, this bugs me too. A lot. Because I was sold on TPC because Navi was seeing great results from it (from what I knew). And I also knew Brian was beating on his on the tracks I beat my Ducati on. I had no idea Navi had even blown one back in April and if I had, I 100% would have looked elsewhere. But I went with TPC, and I need to see this out. Especially from a financial POV. So far, Nick has been helpful, but he also asked me to not show any pics of the broken shaft on the forums. I agreed not to because I understand the power an image on the internet can have to a brand. I'm a creative director at a massive ad agency in NYC. I get it. But thinking about it in hindsight, I have to wonder how many people have been asked this? How much info is being shielded from the public? It feels wrong. I don't feel like I've been treated piss poorly by TPC by any means, but rather I feel misled as I didn't have the right info to make a truly informed decision. Not sure what's worse. But I'll go drive my TPC38BB turbocharged mk7 and that'll put a smile on my face again. For now.

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
Have you raced an is38? like have you? cause I have. I've en ran a littco verison which we generaly take as "good' shit and out ran that with a passenger. So what you got going on is a bunch of text and accusations with no proof to back itup.
I've ran one. Think it's stage 2 tuned with UM. I didn't blow it away by any means but did pull on it for sure. I expected to pull harder than i did on him.

Real recognize real and this guy is being a pretender. Guy has 1 year in the game vs my 4+ but I'm the one who doesn't know anything

I'll never change my approach to assisting this community and anyone is welcome to message me at anytime on questions, tips, advice.

Trying to be impartial here but this rubs me the wrong way. @Navi has been around these parts for a while. Not sure if you've seen his build thread. Done loads of work others dream about doing. And does most of the work himself! Careful with assumptions being thrown around, as you have been quick to point them out as well.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cant-stop-wont-stop-finally-my-build.359828/

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Navi should have clarified this but from my understanding they are only asking for money on the upgraded/newer turbo and not asking for money to warranty the current one.

Company sells bad turbos. Customer needs to install remove and install turbo twice. Who pays for this?? The turbo is not supposed to shit itself. Navi should get a free trouble free turbo if it's a IS95BB double twin scroll , so be it.

At the very least honor the $500 price which is crazy.

Here is my conspiracy theory on that. Nick had 1 IS38BB laying around. @BecauseMotor took it so the price went up to 1000 for @Navi .

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Company sells bad turbos. Customer needs to install remove and install turbo twice. Who pays for this?? The turbo is not supposed to shit itself. Navi should get a free trouble free turbo if it's a IS95BB double twin scroll l, so be it.

At the very least honor the $500 price which is crazy.

Here is my conspiracy theory on that. Nick had 1 IS38BB laying around. @BecauseMotor took it so the price went up to 1000 for @Navi .

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion

I was told that when mine was being machined that they were making a "small batch" but no clue what that means. So I'm not the only one!

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
There was a time that the EQT vortex had a bad batch and was blowing left and right. They warrantied their product and rectified the problem which it appears TPC is trying to do. It would have been a shame if when EQT was having issues and was not given the chance to fix it and ran off this platform. If that would have happened we wouldn't have one of the better performing and decently reliable hybrids in the market right now. Food for thought.

I wanted to stay out of this mess, but I'll respond to this since my company was directly mentioned.

We definitely had some issues early on but it was the way we handled it that kept us going and eventually made our turbos some of the most popular for this platform. When we started seeing too many failures for comfort, we stopped sales to look into the design and see how we could improve it. We also made very public and transparent statements about this at the time. Further, we warrantied every failure and took care of every customer without trying to upsell them on something "new." We even contacted every single customer who received a turbo from a particular batch and offered to replace them pre-emptively regardless if there was any actual issue present. Of course we did this with absolutely no cost to the customer and we kept all information 100% public and transparent without asking our customers to keep quiet. We have since completely revised our bearing system and now enjoy a very low rate of failure. Of course no product is ever perfect, so as always, we continue to take care of any customers who may have issues regardless if it was a product defect, install error, tuning issues, etc, etc. Its a simple recipe.... release a product that performs exceptionally, make changes as needed to suite the wide range of conditions, take care of your customers, and stay honest and transparent about your process including successes and failures.

Thanks
-- Ed