GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA: TPC20 - not recommended

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
There was a time that the EQT vortex had a bad batch and was blowing left and right. They warrantied their product and rectified the problem which it appears TPC is trying to do. It would have been a shame if when EQT was having issues and was not given the chance to fix it and ran off this platform. If that would have happened we wouldn't have one of the better performing and decently reliable hybrids in the market right now. Food for thought.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
View attachment 188854

One computer for boring work shit, one computer for forum drama.
I shoulda known there would be other mech keys guys on here...

20201015_145102.jpg

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Emo stuff aside, sounds like the TPC20 is having bearing failures. As mentioned, EQT went through similar early troubles, but through being open about these issues was able to fix their bearing design/QC, and now has the fastest spooling, highest power potential, and relatively reliable IS20-based hybrids available. BecauseMotor mentioned at some point TPC changed their turbine wheel design in an attempt to rectify the failures. When was that change made, and have they continued to have failures since? For those of us currently holding TPC turbos (installed or in a box), do we have any options if newer and possibly more reliable revisions are available, or are we stuck with our (possible) lemons? I’d like for Nick from TPC or THEREALVRT to provide their input on how they plan to move forward from here.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
thanks for writing this up Navi. Its important for us as consumers to spread word of these types of things and look out for eachother. First turbo was warrantied which is expected, second one blows up, they should warranty the next one instead of demanding more money, you've clearly gone through a lot of :poop: trying to get this to work. It might be bad PR for TPC but we the people need to know of this stuff. Good luck to those who have TPC's in the wild, I was thinking of going with them before, now I'm not so sure after this. Seems like EQT is the way to go. let's see how this plays out

Navi

Autocross Champion
Emo stuff aside, sounds like the TPC20 is having bearing failures. As mentioned, EQT went through similar early troubles, but through being open about these issues was able to fix their bearing design/QC, and now has the fastest spooling, highest power potential, and relatively reliable IS20-based hybrids available. BecauseMotor mentioned at some point TPC changed their turbine wheel design in an attempt to rectify the failures. When was that change made, and have they continued to have failures since? For those of us currently holding TPC turbos (installed or in a box), do we have any options if newer and possibly more reliable revisions are available, or are we stuck with our (possible) lemons? I’d like for Nick from TPC or THEREALVRT to provide their input on how they plan to move forward from here.

It would have been nice if he let me know about this at some point since I speak to Nick periodically over the last couple months. This would have avoided future repair bills. I remember EQT reached out to people with bad turbos or tunes and offered them options.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Nice.

View attachment 188859

Two things I can spend way more money than I should on, are my car and my computer.

Dude same, killer board. I cant help myself when it comes to car mods or keyboards... I have a KBD8xMK2 on order and zleaiosv2 67g waiting for it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R