GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
it's like this usually after my 10 minute drive to work. I may be exaggerating a bit but's it's noticeably different from other auto transmissions I've driven.

well yes, it IS different from other auto transmissions. DSGs work the same way amanual transmission does, they feather the clutch for <5mph 1st gear engagement. With traditional autos the torque converter is spinning regardless of whether the car is moving, so as you ease off the brake you feel that motive force really directly, and it’s easy to control. With the DSG, the trans is in N when you’re braked, with 1st pre-selected. As you ease off the brake, the TCU feathers that 1st gear clutch. As we know, clutches grab differently and more intensely than torque converters spin up.

it’s really all about feathering that brake pedal lol. Just get used to messing with it in an empty parking lot or something

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yeah brake feathering on the DSGs is harder than feathering the clutch on a manual lol. The lurches can be scary
You just gotta be patient and not expect the car to move the second you start letting off the brake. Like you posted after this, the DSG feathers the clutches after you let off the brake. Start letting off a little bit and wait, then a little more, and wait, until you get used to the engagement point

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah I learned how to drive in high school on my mom's 2011 CC w/ DSG, so i literally learned how to drive automatic on a DSG haha. so i learned the quirks before I ever even knew the difference between DCTs and torque converters.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
How do I inch forward with the dsg transmission in a parking spot? It likes to lurch forward and I feel like I'm gonna slam into the parking garage.

I wonder if this behavior depends on the model year and/or the miles on the transmission. I went from a Golf TSI standard auto to a DSG and slow movements like parking feel pretty much the same to me.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I wonder if this behavior depends on the model year and/or the miles on the transmission. I went from a Golf TSI standard auto to a DSG and slow movements like parking feel pretty much the same to me.

Feels the same as a torque convertor auto to me also.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

Woah, yeah that’s surprising. I’ve driven
Feels the same as a torque convertor auto to me also.

do 2018's have the 6 speed or the 7 speed? the 7 speed is tuned to drive a lot more like a torque converter than the 6 speed. I've put over 150K miles on DQ250 DSG-equipped VWs (a 2011 CC on B6 Passat chassis w/ MK6 2.0 Gen 2 TSI and a 2015 MK7 GTI), and can't imagine someone thinking that it drives "like a torque converter" lol. So you've either gotta have the 7-speed, or VW changed the tune on the DQ250 for the 2018 MY (isn't that when the new ECUs came out? would make sense)

cb1111

When I went from the Audi S6 to the 2006 GTI, to the R32 to the BMW 335, I can't recall noticing any difference in parking garages

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Woah, yeah that’s surprising. I’ve driven

do 2018's have the 6 speed or the 7 speed? the 7 speed is tuned to drive a lot more like a torque converter than the 6 speed. I've put over 150K miles on DQ250 DSG-equipped VWs (a 2011 CC on B6 Passat chassis w/ MK6 2.0 Gen 2 TSI and a 2015 MK7 GTI), and can't imagine someone thinking that it drives "like a torque converter" lol. So you've either gotta have the 7-speed, or VW changed the tune on the DQ250 for the 2018 MY (isn't that when the new ECUs came out? would make sense)

I have the 6 speed. When I let my foot off the brake with no throttle input it does feel like a torque convertor auto trans.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I have the 6 speed. When I let my foot off the brake with no throttle input it does feel like a torque convertor auto trans.

Yeah same, we both have 2018s. The only real difference is I have to remember to push down the brake a bit further when at a complete stop so it disengages.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah same, we both have 2018s. The only real difference is I have to remember to push down the brake a bit further when at a complete stop so it disengages.

Yeah when I first got mine I had a bad habit of not pushing the brake pedal hard enough when stopped.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Does anyone take off splitter/side skirts/ spolier for the winter? I don’t think im going to we dont get much snow. My diffuser is metal so prob no problem there but the rest are plastic sorta

Prole

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
Hi, new to the forum, I bought a 2015 GTI yesterday, I pretty much bought it online from a Dealership and they drove it to my place, I'm fairly isolated, so I didn't test drive it anything. How do I know if the car is the S or SE or has the power package? How do I identify these?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Hi, new to the forum, I bought a 2015 GTI yesterday, I pretty much bought it online from a Dealership and they drove it to my place, I'm fairly isolated, so I didn't test drive it anything. How do I know if the car is the S or SE or has the power package? How do I identify these?

I don't know what the options are in Canada but look up the available trim levels then compare it to your car. Several of the features will be easy to spot. Why did you buy the car without knowing the trim? There is quite a difference in pricing.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The SE has a leather interior, and the PP has "GTI" written on the front calipers. (If Canada cars are the same as US cars)