GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Well it sounds like you didn’t read what I said for comprehension, since I stated that it was *also* 502 spec. you scolded me for “using the proper oil, not what I think is best.”

you could’ve just said:
“It’s not 508 spec, so they just gave you (me) what was already in it (5W-40), which was what they would’ve given you (me) regardless.”
Chill, my friend. We're all on the same side here. As you know, there is so much incorrect information about oils on forums.

You said:

If you go the oil change route, remember to request that they utilize 5W-40 instead of the new 0W-20 shite ( when I brought my AT in for its first oil change under the "VW Care" package which inlcudes 2 oil changes, I requested the 5W-40 instead. The service manager pushed back, stating that "since this is warranty work by VW it has to be what they're prescribing." I responded that VW's 502 spec still applies to the new engines, they just created a NEW spec and the new ones come from the factory with THAT spec. From a VW/Warranty perspective, they don't care whether you use 0W-20 or 5W-40, as they've ALWAYS required 5W-40 until the 2019MY. The only difference is the 0W-20 nets 3% better gas mileage and doesn't statistically increase the likelihood of warranty payouts, so they went with that for marketing reasons. 5/0W-40 is still the business.

The 2019 1.8 engine requires 502 spec oil and not 508. Using 508 will cause you warranty woes if you have a lubrication issue. The fact that 508 exists is immaterial to this engine as it should not be used.

Starting with 2019, the 2.0 (and I believe the 1.4) engines use the new spec 508 oil, but the 1.8 continue to use 502/504.

The "use the proper oil" was not really directed to you, but to those people (dealers included) that believe that the 502 oils are better than 508 oil in all cars - including those that are spec'd for 508.

Given that VW made changes to the engine and software to be able to use 508, using 502/504 in those cars can cause issues. Conversely, using 508 in an engine developed for 5w40 is like using water.

Neither 508 or 502/504 is "better". They are each ideal for whichever oil the engine is designed for.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Yep, buy a car that has that feature. There are door controllers and all sorts of other stuff to add.

It's a shame because it's so close to where I want it to return to, it's just barely too high.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
It's a shame because it's so close to where I want it to return to, it's just barely too high.
Check your door controllers for memory function if you have VCDS.

Also how did you code them? This one seems to work pretty well:
mirror switch has to be on the passenger setting for it to work.
  1. 52 Passenger door
  2. 07 coding
  3. Byte 4
  4. Enable bit 2 and 3
THEN
  1. 09 Central Electronics
  2. 31347
  3. Adaptations
  4. 17-Access control 2 Spiegelabsenkung bei Rueckwaertsfahrt (change to “active”)
  5. (22) Access control 2-Menuesteuerung Spiegelabsenkung (change to “active”) this puts the option in the menu screen.
After you need to calibrate the memory for how far it should dip:
I forget who and can't find the thread which I wrote down, here is the (pretty much) defintive guide to setting nearside mirror to dip when reverse is selected:

1. Turn on ignition, but don't start the engine.
2. Select reverse gear.
3. Select passenger side mirror on mirror control knob.
4. Adjust passenger side mirror so you can see the curb.
5. Take car out of reverse gear and return to neutral, or Park in automatic gearbox.
6. Turn off the ignition and the passenger side mirror will (hopefully) return to the normal 'O' position, if you have the memory control module (presumably part of the Mirror Pack).

May need to upgrade door controllers depending. I had to recently when I did my dynamic turns and power folding mirrors, so far reverse mirror dip works great. I had one issue where it returned high, but I think that was due to opening the drivers door before it finished.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Check your door controllers for memory function if you have VCDS.

Also how did you code them? This one seems to work pretty well:
mirror switch has to be on the passenger setting for it to work.
  1. 52 Passenger door
  2. 07 coding
  3. Byte 4
  4. Enable bit 2 and 3
THEN
  1. 09 Central Electronics
  2. 31347
  3. Adaptations
  4. 17-Access control 2 Spiegelabsenkung bei Rueckwaertsfahrt (change to “active”)
  5. (22) Access control 2-Menuesteuerung Spiegelabsenkung (change to “active”) this puts the option in the menu screen.
After you need to calibrate the memory for how far it should dip:
I forget who and can't find the thread which I wrote down, here is the (pretty much) defintive guide to setting nearside mirror to dip when reverse is selected:

1. Turn on ignition, but don't start the engine.
2. Select reverse gear.
3. Select passenger side mirror on mirror control knob.
4. Adjust passenger side mirror so you can see the curb.
5. Take car out of reverse gear and return to neutral, or Park in automatic gearbox.
6. Turn off the ignition and the passenger side mirror will (hopefully) return to the normal 'O' position, if you have the memory control module (presumably part of the Mirror Pack).

May need to upgrade door controllers depending. I had to recently when I did my dynamic turns and power folding mirrors, so far reverse mirror dip works great. I had one issue where it returned high, but I think that was due to opening the drivers door before it finished.

I believe that's the coding I did. It dips down just fine, but the return always ends up being just a hair too high. I don't have the folding mirrors, but the coding mostly works. I'll have to try the calibration, thanks.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I believe that's the coding I did. It dips down just fine, but the return always ends up being just a hair too high. I don't have the folding mirrors, but the coding mostly works. I'll have to try the calibration, thanks.
If you don't mind their not OEM, I used these for my power folding mirror upgrade and they work great.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32843343512.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d69UYyI

Door controllers I used:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32920892068.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d69UYyI
Though I had 5Q0959392E/5Q0959393E lowline controllers. May not be your case.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
If you don't mind their not OEM, I used these for my power folding mirror upgrade and they work great.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32843343512.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d69UYyI

Door controllers I used:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32920892068.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d69UYyI
Though I had 5Q0959392E/5Q0959393E lowline controllers. May not be your case.

I was just hoping there was a series of things I had to do in order to save the return to position. Anything more than that is too much work lol

cb1111

Oil dye....what color is oil after it's been in the car? don't they all end up dark brown after use?

edit: make sure you use what is spec
Here you go. Scroll down to 508. I suspect the dye is more important for cars that require 502/504 oils where the "thinner" 508 oils could have catastrophic effects. I'm not sure what color it turns when used, but I suspect there is a visible difference.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Here you go. Scroll down to 508. I suspect the dye is more important for cars that require 502/504 oils where the "thinner" 508 oils could have catastrophic effects. I'm not sure what color it turns when used, but I suspect there is a visible difference.

So do all the manufacturers dye oil that meets the 508 spec? How can VW force companies to dye the oil?

cb1111

So do all the manufacturers dye oil that meets the 508 spec? How can VW force companies to dye the oil?
If it is part of the spec then yes, VW can ask that all the oil has dye - otherwise it won't meet the spec. They could require that all manufacturers place a picture of a leprechaun on the label - naked and upside down. It is their spec, they can do what they want.

I'm convinced that the intent of the dye is to prevent people from pouring it into a car that needs 502/504, blowing up their engine and submitting a warranty claim.

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
I need some help. I've purchased these before, when I had my '15 GTI, and for whatever reason it wasn't an issue at all...

On the R, however, they're not staying fully adhered. Do I buy a spray adhesive? Is there a better and safer alternative? As you can (hopefully) tell, it's really just the edges that seem to be the problem, but the separation does spread if I don't press them into place again.
View attachment 187894
View attachment 187895

I hate to be a pest, but...bump.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I'm looking at a new 2019 Alltrack SEL DSG - under 10 miles on the odo - and has been sitting on the lot for 400 days.

What maintenance should the dealer do before I pick it up if I decide to buy it? I'm thinking:

Oil change
New battery?
Alignment - nothing to do with time, but many (most? all?) of these seem to come from the factory misaligned.
Cabin air filter

Not sure what to do about the tires or brakes (other than clean off the topical rust from the rotors)

what else am I missing?

In the early 80's, I bought a new 3 year old Ford Granada that had been sitting at the port in Germany the whole time. I drove it for 4 years without any issues (new battery) and sold it for $500 more than I paid for it. Ford did end up repainting the car a few months after I bought it because of acid rain, but they did a great job (with the exception of forgetting to put flexing agent in the plastic bits - Germans didn't have plastic bumper filler pieces back then and this thing had US bumpers).
a car sitting on the lot for 400 days scares me. average time a car sits is 2 months (source google). Its not uncommon for a car to sit longer ect, but it just doesn't make much sense idn. just do your homework, thats a long time for a car to sit on the lot aka money just being wasted away

cb1111

a car sitting on the lot for 400 days scares me. average time a car sits is 2 months (source google). Its not uncommon for a car to sit longer ect, but it just doesn't make much sense idn. just do your homework, thats a long time for a car to sit on the lot aka money just being wasted away
Yes, but there are still a ton of new Alltracks/Sportwagen kicking around that have all been sitting for a long time. Gives me pause as well.