GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My TPC20 Turbo Build... NOW TPC38BB Build

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
Any update on the turbo failure. Any update on the blown turbo as to why? And How TPC is handling this?

Shaft failed. TPC has replaced the blown turbo with a TPC38 Ball-Bearing. Should have by end of this week.

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
They upgraded you for free? What about labor? Written off as paying to play? Do they have any comments on what could have caused the failure? I wish we had good logs of your tune.

I paid $500 for the upgrade to the TPC38 BB.
They were going to replace TPC20 (journal) free of charge to me.
No comment on what could have caused the failure. Shit breaks.
And not sure how you can get them for labor charges.
If I did my own maintenance, not sure I could ask them to compensate my time.

And yes, I wish I had logs too. Still won't because UM is the bestest.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I paid $500 for the upgrade to the TPC38 BB.
They were going to replace TPC20 (journal) free of charge to me.
No comment on what could have caused the failure. Shit breaks.
And not sure how you can get them for labor charges.
If I did my own maintenance, not sure I could ask them to compensate my time.

And yes, I wish I had logs too. Still won't because UM is the bestest.

The turbo shouldn't break at such a low mileage. So it's either a hardware problem, a tune problem, or an install problem. Someone/something fucked up somewhere. It would be great if it could be pin pointed. :) I think we can take the tuner out of the equation because the two TPC failures I know of were tuned by different people. I know the other car wasn't running crazy boost levels.

Do you know if you have any hardware problems like a bad diverter valve? Any CELs before this happened?

UM is the bestest.......

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
The turbo shouldn't break at such a low mileage. So it's either a hardware problem, a tune problem, or an install problem. Someone/something fucked up somewhere. It would be great if it could be pin pointed. :) I think we can take the tuner out of the equation because the two TPC failures I know of were tuned by different people. I know the other car wasn't running crazy boost levels.

Do you know if you have any hardware problems like a bad diverter valve? Any CELs before this happened?

UM is the bestest.......

I was running 28 psi.
No hardware issues.
DV was brand new.
Had random EPC light come on randomly about misfires. But nothing too out of the ordinary

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
I was running 28 psi.
No hardware issues.
DV was brand new.
Had random EPC light come on randomly about misfires. But nothing too out of the ordinary
I ordered my TPC20 last week, got me sweating right now 😅

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I'll be honest here lurkers reading these posts trying to get solid info. There is not a single turbo maker in the world who has no failures, not even Mercedes F1 teams.

Things break. Like all the time. I just smoked another clutch. I've had wheel bearings fail, rear main seals, spark plugs, end links, cables, and yes turbos break (not a TPC unit).

Saying something like a "turbo shouldn't break at such low mileage" is correct. Its super correct.

So how dope is it that TPC is going to do the right thing and take care of it?
Reliability is a good thing to have the best thing to do as a buyer, is understand the game your entering and trust that the suppliers you choose will have your back.

I refuse to work with ones who won't honor their work or product.

I want to reiterate for the average reader. TPC is replacing the Turbo. They upgraded said unit instead. Which is wicked because I cannnnnnnnnot wait to try that unit. So im super Jelly.

That's whats important here. Not every vendor will do this and its worth noting.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'll be honest here lurkers reading these posts trying to get solid info. There is not a single turbo maker in the world who has no failures, not even Mercedes F1 teams.

Things break. Like all the time. I just smoked another clutch. I've had wheel bearings fail, rear main seals, spark plugs, end links, cables, and yes turbos break (not a TPC unit).

Saying something like a "turbo shouldn't break at such low mileage" is correct. Its super correct.

So how dope is it that TPC is going to do the right thing and take care of it?
Reliability is a good thing to have the best thing to do as a buyer, is understand the game your entering and trust that the suppliers you choose will have your back.

I refuse to work with ones who won't honor their work or product.

I want to reiterate for the average reader. TPC is replacing the Turbo. They upgraded said unit instead. Which is wicked because I cannnnnnnnnot wait to try that unit. So im super Jelly.

That's whats important here. Not every vendor will do this and its worth noting.

You're right they would have replaced his turbo for free under the warranty but he ordered an upgrade which he did pay $500.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I was running 28 psi.
No hardware issues.
DV was brand new.

yeah, 28 is very reasonable for that turbo. I wonder if there is some sort of lubrication issue with some of these turbos.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
yeah, 28 is very reasonable for that turbo. I wonder if there is some sort of lubrication issue with some of these turbos.

The main reason I got the TPC20 is because of the chra. TPC changes it to the MHI TD06 journal bearing dual oil feed chra which is considered to be the strongest one.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The main reason I got the TPC20 is because of the chra. TPC changes it to the MHI TD06 journal bearing dual oil feed chra which is considered to be the strongest one.

On paper the TPC20 CHRA is realiable. But the fact is that shafts should not be snapping. Especially not at such low miles. I'm going to trust that the turbo was run at 28 psi and not overspun. I'm going to trust the DV was working to prevent surge (but @BecauseMotor has DSG). That leaves the most likely issue lubrication. :(