GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tirerack says Motegi MR131's won't fit

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
Hi folks,

I drive an '18 GTI SE and it's time (finally) to replace my stock tires, and I decided to go ahead and make the switch to 17's as well.

I decided to go with the Motegi MR131's 17x8, ET40 (due to affordability, weight and looks) and some General G-max RS tires in 235/45R17.

I know several people on here run these wheels, and while some needed to run spacers, from what I gather those guys are running the 17x7 rather than 17x8 size.

However, Tirerack's sales rep called me and warned me that there may be clearance issues with the balancing weights and the calipers. I mentioned that if I ran into clearance issues with the balancing weights, I would just run some spacers. After that, they changed their story to saying that the wheel's 'drop center' (aka the skinniest part of the barrel) itself would not clear the brakes. I told him this is a known working setup, and even provided a picture of the same wheel/tire combo on a '17 GTI with PP brakes and explaining that they are the same size (340mm disc) as my '18 brakes.

I have gone back and forth with him, and he keeps relaying his technical folks' response, which never comes with any reasonable explanation other than 'it won't fit'.

They are treating me like I'm crazy at this point, warning me that the wheels won't be returnable if I try to test fit them and damage occurs. They also said I would have to order the wheel/tire package without it being associated with a vehicle, and that they won't provide lug bolts, because they can't provide hardware to mount this setup safely (this one angers me a bit, since they state on their website that the price of the mounting hardware is figured into the wheel price). Essentially, corporate ass-covering rather than trying to figure out why their computer says this setup won't work, even though I've shown photographic evidence that it will.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a reason I should choose a different wheel, or if I should stick to my guns and order the setup I want.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I have seen people shoehorn on 17" which work until they get weights put on them and then hit the calipers. I have also seen weights being put not on the outside so they would clear but the balance is never as good.

In that picture was it just a test fit? Or did they actually run it balanced with weights?

There are absolutely some 17"s that clear the PP breaks but lots dont.

I was looking at the Konig Rennlines in 17" but they barely clear and with weights dont really clear well.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Tirerack is correct. That is the exact wheel I have on my 18 SE and I had to get 12mm spacers for the front to clear the PP brake rotors. And even then the wheel weights have to be placed towards the inside of the wheel. I found out the hard way . When they were installed originally they fit. Then I needed new brake pads and they hit the rotors.

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
I have seen people shoehorn on 17" which work until they get weights put on them and then hit the calipers. I have also seen weights being put not on the outside so they would clear but the balance is never as good.

In that picture was it just a test fit? Or did they actually run it balanced with weights?

There are absolutely some 17"s that clear the PP breaks but lots dont.

I was looking at the Konig Rennlines in 17" but they barely clear and with weights dont really clear well.

The picture I sent is from this post:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-mk7-gti-80k-mile-review.376668/

It appears to be a normal usage scenario.

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
Tirerack is correct. That is the exact wheel I have on my 18 SE and I had to get 12mm spacers for the front to clear the PP brake rotors. And even then the wheel weights have to be placed towards the inside of the wheel. I found out the hard way . When they were installed originally they fit. Then I needed new brake pads and they hit the rotors.
Hi Jim, I saw a post where you mentioned your wheels are the 17x7 size, correct? I am not sure if that makes a difference, but it might depending on the wheel design. I am curious whether bigbowwow runs spacers. (Author of the post I linked above)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi Jim, I saw a post where you mentioned your wheels are the 17x7 size, correct? I am not sure if that makes a difference, but it might depending on the wheel design. I am curious whether bigbowwow runs spacers. (Author of the post I linked above)

Yes mine are 17 x 7. He would have to run spacers because I promise you they won't fit without spacers and new brake pads.

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
I got in touch with another person on instagram who runs the MR131, and it turns out they don't have the PP brakes - so it appears I would be taking a risk with these wheels.

If it were just spacers, I wouldn't mind.. but I don't think finding brake pads that would fit sounds like fun.

I am likely going with some Konig Runlites (17x7.5, ET45, 18.94 lbs) or Enkei TFR's (17x8, ET45, 18.05 lbs) - they should both fit in 17".

konig-runlite-grey.pngENKEI-TFR-ZP-68-WEB.jpg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I got in touch with another person on instagram who runs the MR131, and it turns out they don't have the PP brakes - so it appears I would be taking a risk with these wheels.

If it were just spacers, I wouldn't mind.. but I don't think finding brake pads that would fit sounds like fun.

I am likely going with some Konig Runlites (17x7.5, ET45, 18.94 lbs) or Enkei TFR's (17x8, ET45, 18.05 lbs) - they should both fit in 17".

View attachment 188498View attachment 188499

You'll be fine with 12 mm spacers in the front. And the spacer moves the wheel out so it is nearly flush with the fender. I used 15 mm in the rear to get them flush also.

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
You'll be fine with 12 mm spacers in the front. And the spacer moves the wheel out so it is nearly flush with the fender. I used 15 mm in the rear to get them flush also.

I currently run a flush spacer kit (15mm front/ 20mm rear) with the stock wheels, and I am a fan of that look. However, I played with a tire size calculator and I can see how the 17x8 size might not fit.

Someone feel free to correct me here:
  • Your wheels are 17x7, ET45 I believe. With a 12mm spacer that effectively lowers the offset to 33mm, which fits. (Although, before you said scary things about brake pads?)
  • The wheels I would get are 17x8, ET40 - which the calculator says will already poke out 5.7mm more than your setup (including your spacer). So, if I add a spacer to that, I would be sporting some serious poke. Essentially, I wouldn't have that room for outward expansion.
  • In addition, the 17x8 wheel will have 19.7mm less clearance toward the suspension, which could be an issue.
  • That isn't even taking into account the geometry of the wheel on the 17x7 vs 17x8 size, and whether the barrel narrows down at a point where the brakes need to be. It just comes down to their design and they don't share dimensional drawings of that.
Tirerack uses 3D scanning to confirm fitment, so I think I should go with their advice, unfortunately.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
That is the exact wheel I have on my 18 SE
NO IT'S NOT!!!! You run a 17x7 et45. I feel like I have had to call you out multiple times on this statement.
ET40 17x8 will fit just fine without need for spacers.
OP - For reference I run 17x8 et40 no spacers. My wheel weights are inner well balanced.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I currently run a flush spacer kit (15mm front/ 20mm rear) with the stock wheels, and I am a fan of that look. However, I played with a tire size calculator and I can see how the 17x8 size might not fit.

Someone feel free to correct me here:
  • Your wheels are 17x7, ET45 I believe. With a 12mm spacer that effectively lowers the offset to 33mm, which fits. (Although, before you said scary things about brake pads?)
  • The wheels I would get are 17x8, ET40 - which the calculator says will already poke out 5.7mm more than your setup (including your spacer). So, if I add a spacer to that, I would be sporting some serious poke. Essentially, I wouldn't have that room for outward expansion.
  • In addition, the 17x8 wheel will have 19.7mm less clearance toward the suspension, which could be an issue.
  • That isn't even taking into account the geometry of the wheel on the 17x7 vs 17x8 size, and whether the barrel narrows down at a point where the brakes need to be. It just comes down to their design and they don't share dimensional drawings of that.
Tirerack uses 3D scanning to confirm fitment, so I think I should go with their advice, unfortunately.

If you want that wheel just get the 17 x 7. What I said about brake pads is when my MR131 were originally installed my brake pads were used and quite thinner. When I then got new brake pads I found out I needed spacers. I'm at 416 HP and the 17 x 7 are fine.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
NO IT'S NOT!!!! You run a 17x7 et45. I feel like I have had to call you out multiple times on this statement.
ET40 17x8 will fit just fine without need for spacers.
OP - For reference I run 17x8 et40 no spacers. My wheel weights are inner well balanced.

That's the first thing you've posted in this thread. Yes I was talking about the 17 x 7.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
That's the first thing you've posted in this thread. Yes I was talking about the 17 x 7.
I was speaking about every time someone questions this setup, in any threads, you’re quick to chime in on how it won’t fit but you neglect to speak to your specs. OP specifically stated he has chosen the 17x8 et40 (the same wheel i run with ds2500 pads)
The only issue 17x8 et40 will have is weights clearing the PP caliper. Static balance them and you’re fine. I have zero issues with balance.

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
If you want that wheel just get the 17 x 7. What I said about brake pads is when my MR131 were originally installed my brake pads were used and quite thinner. When I then got new brake pads I found out I needed spacers. I'm at 416 HP and the 17 x 7 are fine.
Ah ok, I understand now about the brake pads.

The only issue 17x8 et40 will have is weights clearing the PP caliper. Static balance them and you’re fine. I have zero issues with balance.

Thank you daconchslop, that's great to know. Finally, some hard evidence.

I will let all this simmer a bit and make a decision.