GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Catch Can in the Winter

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Learning about oil catch cans and heard about issues with freezing during the winter. Does anyone have personal experience with this?
I believe you have to check every so often, I don't have one but I know they filter out water/other stuff. For the most part if you drive the car everyday I would imagine it shouldn't be an issue. But if you let it sit for a week in 10-20degree philly winter, then it might freeze the contents. I would say not an issue for the most part but i have seen a pic of frozen one

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Learning about oil catch cans and heard about issues with freezing during the winter. Does anyone have personal experience with this?

Just empty the can more often in cold weather. The can will collect a lot of condensation in cold weather on engine startup. I suppose if you have a plastic catch can it could freeze and crack the can. If it's a metal can I don't think it would cause a problem unless the can was full.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
All you're going to get in your catch can is water. Don't buy a catch can unless you are going to track the car.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Which oil is be-- wait, not this thread?

Honestly I've heard it repeated that unless you're doing high speed breaking and high G turns, catch cans with the Stock PVC system in place are pointless. There are threads of people and manufactures who ran them without tracking and found them dry - Mishimoto has a good write up on the topic and their efforts to develop a Catch can system for the MK7.

If you pull the stock PVC system and install one - Empty it once a week after a long drive to prevent things from freezing in it.