GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 1.8T with Catted DP and Cali Smog?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Hello all,

Looking to see if anyone with an early MK7, or anyone that registered one from out of state, has experience with Cali smog and DPs? I know there is no CARB certified DP other than stock. I'm aware they don't use a exhaust probe for the most part, it's mainly a visual and ODBII scan. I'm looking at a Neuspeed "No CEL" DP for my GSW and i'm curious if it could pass? I know it depends on tune, I believe APR ignores the downstream 02 which causes a flag; I think you're allowed 1 and still pass, correct? I've read it's a bit of a coin flip if they just see a Cat and pass you or flag you for modified exhaust.

If it's a swap stock DP before inspection that's fine, I'd just like to get a better Idea as I haven't had to smog a car in some years; Aiming for IS20 which I believe can be ran with a stock DP anyhow.

Thanks in advance.

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
If you can find a place that is high volume pass or don't pay you've got a good shot at passing no matter what you've got. So long as you don't have an active CEL.
They'll just want to take your money and get you out quick.

The place I use doesn't even open the hood of the car lol

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I've been wandering the same thing, Im stopped myself from buying a downpipe so many times because i dont want to deal with the smog situation later on. So as long as i dont have a check engine light when i go in and readiness check is all good (i would disconnect JB4 and run for a couple hundred miles to make sure) i shouldn't have any issues?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you can find a place that is high volume pass or don't pay you've got a good shot at passing no matter what you've got. So long as you don't have an active CEL.
They'll just want to take your money and get you out quick.

The place I use doesn't even open the hood of the car lol
Mainly why I posted this. I've seen a lot of YMMV posts on Cali smog and being modified. Some people say so long as you don't have a CEL and Soft codes, you're fine. Other state they'll fight you on OE parts because they don't know the difference between modified and not. Just curious if anyone has any first hand experience. I would think a no CEL pipe would be okay if you can pass visual, but you never know until you try.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
True, though I believe if you register from out of state, you have to smog for initial inspection regardless of model year. Maybe someone who went that route can chime in.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
Nice, if that's the case, i just may consider a DP. It sucks that thats something we must all consider but i have 5 years left until a smog so might not be such a bad idea.