GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What comes after the GTI?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I’ll be at a 6 + 10 year old and a dog roughly twice that size. Definitely makes the GTI less spacious.
Which is why I'm not sure an Alltrak helps, the back seat is the same space. E63S Touring is probably a bit out of budget. They're not pretty, but Accord Sport with a manual, while they're still available?

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Perfect excuse to buy another car and keep the GTI! We have 2 corgis (30lbs each) and my wife is pregnant with our first kid due in December. Our fleet is currently 19 GTI, 19 Subaru WRX, 91 BMW 318is, and 02 Toyota Tundra. Were probably going to get rid of the WRX as were going to take over the loan on my father in law's 17 Lexus NX200t F-sport (first mods will probably be apple carplay integration and JB4). I am a big fan of a the new Tiguans, and if you get a used Q5 3.0t or 2.0t, you can always tune for more power.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have owned 3 GTI's, 1 MK6 and 2 MK7s, and now own an Alltrack. I got a 2019 SE with Driver Assist + Lighting Packages, 6MT (36K MSRP) for 25.5 in April with 6 years 0% financing. Since then I put 5.5K bone stock miles (besides clutch spring delete + clutch stop) on the car, then last week I got the first oil change and along with it installed APR Plus (Stage 1 87 octane tune good for 211/255 AWHP/AWTQ), 034 Upper Dogbone (Aluminum) + APR Lower Dogbone (steel) inserts, APR Pendulum Bar replacement, and Superpro Endlinks + RSB.

Holy. S**t. To me - the car feels like a 40K+ luxury performance car, which honestly it isn't too far off from, when you consider how similar the car at this point is to a stock Golf R. Keeping that 25.5 number in mind, and comparing to a Golf R which is 45K, I spent 1.1K on APR Plus, $300 on Superpro endlinks + RSB, and $~200 on the APR/034 dogbone setup, then paid a friend $350 to install it all. So that's roughly 2K on top of 25.5, so I paid 27.5K for a car that has All-Wheel GTI power that can safely run on 87 octane which still has a warranty till 72K miles, and performs in the turns BETTER than a stock Golf R or GTI because of the RSB upgrade, despite the lengthened springs/dampers on the stock Alltrack suspension. In other words, I got ~85% of a Golf R for roughly 60% of the price.

The equipment level on my car is perfect to in terms of luxury/tech, as it comes with the 7.5 LED lighting package and the upgraded MIB2 8" touch screen, but also comes with the stock (non-Fender) stereo, which I upgraded with Helix for another $500 installed (350 for box + 150 install). Having owned both Fender and Helix, there are certainly pros and cons to both. Fender has higher fidelity in the tweeters and mids, but shitty bass. Helix does better in the mid to low range, though I think my setup needs to be recoded. I just swapped it over from my GTI without reprogramming it for the '19 Alltrack with 6 speakers instead of the '15 GTI with 8 (the result of decontenting, nothing less).

I also have a 75 lb Pittie-lab mix and an 85 lb German Shep-Rottweiler mix + a GF and we went camping two weekends ago in my car. We fit a 12-person tent, 12x12 EZ-up, our bags, 2 chairs, blankets, pillows, a cooler, AND both the dogs comfortably in the back with the seats down, and I could still see out my rear window. I don't even have cross-bars or a turtle shell for the top yet, so that could even make it possible to save enough space where I might have been able to keep the one seat up in the back and have a 3rd passenger lol. Couple that with the OEM-reinforced + slightly lifted suspension, it's the perfect blend of performance, tech, and utility. I also happen to think it's one of the best looking cars on the road. But I'm obviously biased.

Shit - you can add a tow-hitch to these cars and with a tune, the IS12 has plenty of low-end grunt to tow. And it has the non-PP GTI brakes (slated between base Golf brakes and the Golf R/GTI PP brakes) which are pretty capable brakes with some replacement pads/rotors/fluid. Pretty sure there are even non-PP brake "stiffening" kits that upgrade the caliper performance, though I have no idea how effective they are.

Sorry if this was a mouthful, but having owned 3 GTIs, 2 of which were MK7s, and now owning an Alltrack that I've turned into the perfect OEM+ Sporty Daily Driver + Utilitarian Adventure Car , I could not possibly recommend it any more strongly. I've been planning, saving, and looking forward to building an Alltrack like this since they announced the car, and now that I have it and get to drive it everyday, I truly feel that I have my dream car. I will likely own the car until some major component like the Haldex fails at 150K+ miles, and will be saving between now and then for my A4 Allroad :)

I don't believe a better value proposition exists in the current new to slightly-used car market than a MK7 Alltrack. If you're worried about the sunroof leaks, get an S model and upgrade the headlights + speakers to Helix and you've still got the looks + sound of a premium car for a lot less. I need to stop rambling.
It's all perspective - to me my base GSW with 4Mo and DSG at $20K new OTD felt like a much nicer car than it cost but I've never bought really nice/expensive new cars. Certainly not at the R level in terms of interior quality/features or ability to add power. Now with all my mods, I have a wagon that is faster than a stock R and handles/stops well. Like you say - perfect all-around daily car. They really are great cars if wagons are your thing and you are willing to drop some money on mods - even just a simple Stage 1 tune on these really is fun. They are somewhat small though for use a family truckster. Next car may be the MK8 R but that will be a ways off. Love this thing.

20200814_212307.jpg

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
It's all perspective - to me my base GSW with 4Mo and DSG at $20K new OTD felt like a much nicer car than it cost but I've never bought really nice/expensive new cars. Certainly not at the R level in terms of interior quality/features or ability to add power. Now with all my mods, I have a wagon that is faster than a stock R and handles/stops well. Like you say - perfect all-around daily car. They really are great cars if wagons are your thing and you are willing to drop some money on mods - even just a simple Stage 1 tune on these really is fun. They are somewhat small though for use a family truckster. Next car may be the MK8 R but that will be a ways off. Love this thing.

View attachment 186064

Yeah. I'm 27 with a gf and 2 dogs and no plans of kids in the next 3-5 years, so agreed that my perspective/feelings about the car are biased. But i feel i put it all out there for him to decide on.

But yeah dude, the 4 Motion Golf Wagon options with the same upgrades half the GTI/R owners buy anyway will turn them into some of the most capable, well-rounded cars you could ask for (for the money).

I'm smitten with mine, never been so happy with a car. The feeling I get every time I look at/drive it is reminiscent of the feeling I had when I got my first GTI at 20 after saving up since I was 17, only this is so much more adult and *useful*. The GTI satisfied the literal boy-racer in me who fell in love with cars watching Fast and the Furious when I was 7, and playing Need for Speed, Forza, and Gran Turismo growing up. The Alltrack satisfies the adult in me whose thinking about buying a house in the woods and having what I need to haul stuff from Home Depot, and go adventuring with my little family, while still having fun every time I'm behind the wheel.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Your biggest limitation is wanting to spend $30k or less. If you want a performance-oriented larger vehicle, sorry, you're gonna have to spend more money.

Your biggest limitation is wanting to spend $30k or less. If you want a performance-oriented larger vehicle, sorry, you're gonna have to spend more money.

Yeah, possibly. I’d still like to keep my budget (maybe a smidge over) and just use that to make my decision. It’s self-imposed, not a hard stop really. Just don’t want to spend more than that right now. I’m early 40s, and my money is going into maxing out my 401k, putting money toward other investments, college funds for the kids, and trying to retire early. I think the GTI has spoiled me in a lot of ways. It’s hard to top for smiles per dollar. ;)

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Buick Regal tourX or a Volvo wagon

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

Not true.

Yeah, possibly. I’d still like to keep my budget (maybe a smidge over) and just use that to make my decision. It’s self-imposed, not a hard stop really. Just don’t want to spend more than that right now. I’m early 40s, and my money is going into maxing out my 401k, putting money toward other investments, college funds for the kids, and trying to retire early. I think the GTI has spoiled me in a lot of ways. It’s hard to top for smiles per dollar. ;)

Porsche Macan, go test drive one and tell me you don't smile. The base model (2017 and 2018 MY) can be purchased for $30,000 (with some negotiating) with sub 30k miles. The engine in the base model... EA888 Gen 3 (Longitudinal)... with a few tuning options. Stock power rating is 252HP/273TQ...

Example of a tuning option: APR Stage 1 Plus (91oct) 317HP/363TQ...