GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What comes after the GTI?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
"They make great power set up this way and will stomp the GTI guys (tuned) from a dig"

Pretty much everything awd (and rwd) stomps the gti from a dig. It's like saying water is wet.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I went through the same thing couple of years back and documented everything in this thread - https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/gti-is-gone-and-the-replacement-is-here.352985/

Long story short, i replaced my 2016 GTI Autobahn with a 2018 Durango RT and was very happy with it. As life moved on, i missed my GTI and ended up buying a 2019 Rabbit. Both these vehicles are going to be in my garage for a very long time. I would have made one small change had i had known i would end up with another GTI - bought a Durango GT and saved some money.

Main reason for buying a Durango was Mopar lifetime warranty and FCA does not offer that any more. If i was in the same situation now, i would buy a 4runner for family needs and hold onto the GTI.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I have owned 3 GTI's, 1 MK6 and 2 MK7s, and now own an Alltrack. I got a 2019 SE with Driver Assist + Lighting Packages, 6MT (36K MSRP) for 25.5 in April with 6 years 0% financing. Since then I put 5.5K bone stock miles (besides clutch spring delete + clutch stop) on the car, then last week I got the first oil change and along with it installed APR Plus (Stage 1 87 octane tune good for 211/255 AWHP/AWTQ), 034 Upper Dogbone (Aluminum) + APR Lower Dogbone (steel) inserts, APR Pendulum Bar replacement, and Superpro Endlinks + RSB.

Holy. S**t. To me - the car feels like a 40K+ luxury performance car, which honestly it isn't too far off from, when you consider how similar the car at this point is to a stock Golf R. Keeping that 25.5 number in mind, and comparing to a Golf R which is 45K, I spent 1.1K on APR Plus, $300 on Superpro endlinks + RSB, and $~200 on the APR/034 dogbone setup, then paid a friend $350 to install it all. So that's roughly 2K on top of 25.5, so I paid 27.5K for a car that has All-Wheel GTI power that can safely run on 87 octane which still has a warranty till 72K miles, and performs in the turns BETTER than a stock Golf R or GTI because of the RSB upgrade, despite the lengthened springs/dampers on the stock Alltrack suspension. In other words, I got ~85% of a Golf R for roughly 60% of the price.

The equipment level on my car is perfect to in terms of luxury/tech, as it comes with the 7.5 LED lighting package and the upgraded MIB2 8" touch screen, but also comes with the stock (non-Fender) stereo, which I upgraded with Helix for another $500 installed (350 for box + 150 install). Having owned both Fender and Helix, there are certainly pros and cons to both. Fender has higher fidelity in the tweeters and mids, but shitty bass. Helix does better in the mid to low range, though I think my setup needs to be recoded. I just swapped it over from my GTI without reprogramming it for the '19 Alltrack with 6 speakers instead of the '15 GTI with 8 (the result of decontenting, nothing less).

I also have a 75 lb Pittie-lab mix and an 85 lb German Shep-Rottweiler mix + a GF and we went camping two weekends ago in my car. We fit a 12-person tent, 12x12 EZ-up, our bags, 2 chairs, blankets, pillows, a cooler, AND both the dogs comfortably in the back with the seats down, and I could still see out my rear window. I don't even have cross-bars or a turtle shell for the top yet, so that could even make it possible to save enough space where I might have been able to keep the one seat up in the back and have a 3rd passenger lol. Couple that with the OEM-reinforced + slightly lifted suspension, it's the perfect blend of performance, tech, and utility. I also happen to think it's one of the best looking cars on the road. But I'm obviously biased.

Shit - you can add a tow-hitch to these cars and with a tune, the IS12 has plenty of low-end grunt to tow. And it has the non-PP GTI brakes (slated between base Golf brakes and the Golf R/GTI PP brakes) which are pretty capable brakes with some replacement pads/rotors/fluid. Pretty sure there are even non-PP brake "stiffening" kits that upgrade the caliper performance, though I have no idea how effective they are.

Sorry if this was a mouthful, but having owned 3 GTIs, 2 of which were MK7s, and now owning an Alltrack that I've turned into the perfect OEM+ Sporty Daily Driver + Utilitarian Adventure Car , I could not possibly recommend it any more strongly. I've been planning, saving, and looking forward to building an Alltrack like this since they announced the car, and now that I have it and get to drive it everyday, I truly feel that I have my dream car. I will likely own the car until some major component like the Haldex fails at 150K+ miles, and will be saving between now and then for my A4 Allroad :)

I don't believe a better value proposition exists in the current new to slightly-used car market than a MK7 Alltrack. If you're worried about the sunroof leaks, get an S model and upgrade the headlights + speakers to Helix and you've still got the looks + sound of a premium car for a lot less. I need to stop rambling.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Ford Ranger.
Tune it and be over 300hp.
Real 4WD.
Not a GTI engine but actually fun to drive.
Dog in back, kids can sit 3 wide in the back.
Load the gear. Add a topper and carry more.
Tow a 7,500lb load.

Attachments

• IMG_1812.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Nice! Tuning through Uni then? I'll be headed out there to talk with them about Fortune Auto coilovers here shortly
Yes, my current tunes are Unitronic. Been happy with them.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
"They make great power set up this way and will stomp the GTI guys (tuned) from a dig"

Pretty much everything awd (and rwd) stomps the gti from a dig. It's like saying water is wet.
HAHAHAHA - yeah, you are right now that I read it again. But with an IS20 or 38, they will also stomp some of them (obviously depending on level of tuning) from a roll too....the point was simply that the GSW/ATs can be made to be quite quick so you don't need a GTI or R to enjoy some MK7 power/have some fun AND have some carrying capacity if you are willing to put some money into them for some simple mods.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Porsche Macan

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Holy. S**t. To me - the car feels like a 40K+ luxury performance car, which honestly it isn't too far off from, when you consider how similar the car at this point is to a stock Golf R. Keeping that 25.5 number in mind, and comparing to a Golf R which is 45K, I spent 1.1K on APR Plus, $300 on Superpro endlinks + RSB, and $~200 on the APR/034 dogbone setup, then paid a friend $350 to install it all. So that's roughly 2K on top of 25.5, so I paid 27.5K for a car that has All-Wheel GTI power that can safely run on 87 octane which still has a warranty till 72K miles, and performs in the turns BETTER than a stock Golf R or GTI because of the RSB upgrade, despite the lengthened springs/dampers on the stock Alltrack suspension. In other words, I got ~85% of a Golf R for roughly 60% of the price.

45K Golf R? Is that comparing your 6MT to a DSG R with the optional spectrum color and every available accessory?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I will add one more thing, as I realize I didn't really address the fact you have kids.

Camping trips aside, with a turtle shell on top of the Alltrack you can fit the kids in the back, dogs in the boot, and bags on the roof.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
We have a five year old and a 30 pound dog, plus my GTI and the wife's Q5. We never use her car. But my dog also uses the left rear pax seat. She'd melt down if she couldn't get out of the window. Are you sure you need a bigger car? Hoping the eTron Q4 is the right size, but might just do the Volvo XC40 Recharge to replace the huge Q5, it was definitely too large for what we needed.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I will add one more thing, as I realize I didn't really address the fact you have kids.

Camping trips aside, with a turtle shell on top of the Alltrack you can fit the kids in the back, dogs in the boot, and bags on the roof.
I guess it just comes down to how much stuff we're moving around. I find the GTI fine for camping trips, ten hour drives to see the parents, etc. But I also camp light and my dog isn't in the trunk, so that certainly impacts things. My sister can't get to her ranch an hour away without throwing stuff in her roof box on a Range Rover, so I totally understand that everyone's needs are different.

We have a five year old and a 30 pound dog, plus my GTI and the wife's Q5. We never use her car. But my dog also uses the left rear pax seat. She'd melt down if she couldn't get out of the window. Are you sure you need a bigger car? Hoping the eTron Q4 is the right size, but might just do the Volvo XC40 Recharge to replace the huge Q5, it was definitely too large for what we needed.

I’ll be at a 6 + 10 year old and a dog roughly twice that size. Definitely makes the GTI less spacious.