GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EA888 Engine Swap

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Don’t have an experiences with engine swaps but I would assume with how temperamental this ECU is it would be a heck of a lot of work To get it working right. Cars today have so many electronics they rely on. Then you would be looking at a standalone ECU.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I was going to say. With things like CP requiring talking back to the VW mothership and the fact that some of the coding is locked to VIN could lead to problems with making that ECU happy.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah we’re not talking about 90’s Miatas with LS swaps here. Too much proprietary coding is involved in present-day ECUs for that to be feasible. Unless you yourself are an automotive IT Engineer with significant white-hat hacking skills, not too sure how successful you’d be.

RapGameBlueberryWaffle

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Theoretically, I can get a salvage Golf R / TTs / S3, swap it and then I wouldn't have any problems with the VIN. I don't know but maybe I'm on a different page then everyone else...

I love the ECU. That with the overbuilt engine and big ass turbo, it's perfect. It sounds like many of you work on your own cars but I personally pay for the important work and only do little things myself.

I take great care of my Golf R and haven't had any problems a simple fix won't solve. And most problems are well known enough that I'm preemptive with a lot of the maintenance I do.

And I live around Philadelphia where there are plenty of VW experts / mechanics / tuners.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you're going to do a full system swap from the donor, I could see it working. The issue is when you try to mismatch pieces with this ECU. Anything outside the Component Protection Halo I would assume would be safe, but I can't speak from experience. I just know if you start trying to plug in things that fall under the CP - IE gauges/cluster, ignition, etc. you'll MAY have issues defeating the immobilizer as it requires Fazit/ODIS which talks to the VW servers back in Germany to re register the Part SNs. Unless you are talking MK6, all this information is what i've read up on for the MK7/MQB platform as I'm looking to do quite a few retrofits that require swaping things like the CAN gateway, BCM, etc.

RapGameBlueberryWaffle

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
If you're going to do a full system swap from the donor, I could see it working. The issue is when you try to mismatch pieces with this ECU. Anything outside the Component Protection Halo I would assume would be safe, but I can't speak from experience. I just know if you start trying to plug in things that fall under the CP - IE gauges/cluster, ignition, etc. you'll MAY have issues defeating the immobilizer as it requires Fazit/ODIS which talks to the VW servers back in Germany to re register the Part SNs. Unless you are talking MK6, all this information is what i've read up on for the MK7/MQB platform as I'm looking to do quite a few retrofits that require swaping things like the CAN gateway, BCM, etc.
Now that was a solid answer. Thank you

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Assuming you took all electronics and sensors with you, how would you mount it up in the miata? Surely you can't use the vw transmissions and the engine was designed to fit transversely, so what transmission and mating would you have to do to get it fitted?

cb1111

Theoretically, I can get a salvage Golf R / TTs / S3, swap it and then I wouldn't have any problems with the VIN. I don't know but maybe I'm on a different page then everyone else...

I love the ECU. That with the overbuilt engine and big ass turbo, it's perfect. It sounds like many of you work on your own cars but I personally pay for the important work and only do little things myself.

I take great care of my Golf R and haven't had any problems a simple fix won't solve. And most problems are well known enough that I'm preemptive with a lot of the maintenance I do.

And I live around Philadelphia where there are plenty of VW experts / mechanics / tuners.
Say what? Sounds like either a 14 year old or a troll.